• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why ans should be B ?!

which year is this ?
It says NOT.
Ans is B
So 1 Occurs in alveoli where it picks up oxygen, in tissues it should be other way around.
and 3: The Hydrogen carbonate ion and H+ also combine in alveoli to form H2CO3. In tissues CO2 dissolves in H20 to give H2CO3 which must disassociate to form Hydrogen carbonate ion for transport within the Plasma.
Hope I helped! :)

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how to do this?
Here is the calculation,from 1st diagram
50 eyepiece divisions=0.1 stage
1 EP=0.1/50 stage
Convert it to micrometer,
1EP=0.1/50 multiplied by 1000, which is 2 micrometer.
Now from 2nd diagram,
The increment in 4 hours is 10 division
So 1 division of EP=2
10 division of EP=2 into 10
=20
so in 4 hours, there is increment of 20 micrometer
In 1 hour=20/4
=5
So the answer is A.

Reaction score
Can someone please explain why ans should be B ?!
Ok, 1 can't be correct, because in an active tissue, high amount of co2 are produced, so in the presence of co2, you can't expect HB to react with O2.
2 can be correct, because, you know that, co2 diffuses into the RBC and it forms H2CO3, catalysed by carbonic anydrase...the H2C03 dissociates into H+ AND HCO3-,Now the HB reacts with this H+ to form HHB.
3 can't be correct because as i mentioned H2CO3 DISSOCIATES to H+ and CO3-.......the reaction shown in 3 actually occurs in the alveoli.......
4 is correct which i explained above.....
Now the question asks you, which are not likely to accur....so your answer should be 1 and 3, which is B...

Reaction score
So, guys exams are almost here...so if any of us has any confusions in any topic....let us discuss here and try to get clear of all the doubts we have.....
i am in doubt with potometer , i don't have for it enough info.... can it come in 4 marks question?
there is repeated question for diseases that can be cured by anibiotics in p1, i know that virus an and any eukaryotic organisms cannot be cured due to many stains they have, but it is sometimes tricky!

Reaction score
How do mitosis facilitate gamatogenesis??

Okay so its is just mitosis then no need to talk about meiosis at all :
In males:
1)The process beings at the outer edge of germinal epithelium and new cells that are produced form towards the inner edge.
2)SPERMATOGONIA are cells attached to the epithelial layer of smeiniferous tubule,These cells are diploid and they divide by mitosis to form more spermatogonia
3) these cells they mature and increase in size to form primary spermatocytes.

In females:
1)after fertilistaion,germinal epithial cells they start to divide by mitosis to form diploid oogonia five weeks after formation of female embryo

Hope this helped :)

Reaction score
Plzz expain me thez questions

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-25-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-25-22.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-24-47.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-24-47.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-24-31.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-24-31.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-24-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-24-14.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
It says NOT.
Ans is B
So 1 Occurs in alveoli where it picks up oxygen, in tissues it should be other way around.
and 3: The Hydrogen carbonate ion and H+ also combine in alveoli to form H2CO3. In tissues CO2 dissolves in H20 to give H2CO3 which must disassociate to form Hydrogen carbonate ion for transport within the Plasma.
Hope I helped! :)
O/N 2013 p 13
Thnx alot :D

Reaction score
Ok, 1 can't be correct, because in an active tissue, high amount of co2 are produced, so in the presence of co2, you can't expect HB to react with O2.
2 can be correct, because, you know that, co2 diffuses into the RBC and it forms H2CO3, catalysed by carbonic anydrase...the H2C03 dissociates into H+ AND HCO3-,Now the HB reacts with this H+ to form HHB.
3 can't be correct because as i mentioned H2CO3 DISSOCIATES to H+ and CO3-.......the reaction shown in 3 actually occurs in the alveoli.......
4 is correct which i explained above.....
Now the question asks you, which are not likely to accur....so your answer should be 1 and 3, which is B...
Thank u soooo much :)

Reaction score
PlZz help me out :p
in such questions related to genetics
first we have to make these >> DNA>mRNA>tRNA>amino acid
sickle cell haemoglobin > thr-pro-val-glu
mRNA codons are supplied for these amini acids by the question so first find complementary anticodons for each codon
complementary anticodons are>glutamine (glu) CUU or CUC ; proline (pro) GGA or GGG ; threonine (thr) UGA or UGG , valine (val) CAU or CAC
in the question there are only 4 options see the anticodon that is not written as above which is D

Last edited:
Reaction score