• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

9700 AS level Biology P1 Complicated Problem (Might be on tomorrows paper!|)

Reaction score
Hey guys.
There is this complicated sort of (data-collection related) question that came on m/j/13 all the variants in different forms and has a high chance of appearing this year on m/j/14 as well.
Some one please be kind enough to explain the answers to me.
1)
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_qp_11.pdf
Number 14 of this paper. The answer is B, and it makes sense when you eliminate the anomalous results.

But, in the second variant paper of the same year, in a similar question, number 14, the process does not work and process of answering both are completely contradictory. The answer is C on this one.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_qp_12.pdf

Someone consider the two questions and explain the results to me?
It's highly likely that this type of question will come this year :(
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Andd duas needed, guys!
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And your answer, D, for the first variant is also incorrect. This question includes two students that have correctly identified the mean, and rounded it off to 2 significant figures, so the answer is B. Check the marking scheme once again.

Reaction score
hiiiii....so i checked both the papers and yes they are very similar.......but the questions are pretty simple :)
first lets take question 14 in the first paper....you have to calculate the mean for each of them.
when you caclulate the mean yourself yes the values are different....but you have to take the option which has the smallest difference between the mean value you ve calculated and the mean value given.When you calculate the mean yourself your values will be 11 18 9.2 and 18.5 respectively....so here the smallest difference is between 9 which is the mean they ve given and 9.2 which you calculated......so its student three.....the next smallest difference is between 10.5 and 11 but there no '1 and 3 ' option given.....so D is the only possible answer.

the other question in the other paper....when you calculate the mean values for that you ll get exactly 9.2 for the first student...so the first student has calculated mean corrrectly...but wat i dont get is student three has calculated mean correclty too.....so my answer would be 1 and 3 but theres no option like that given...and student 2 has also gotten a value very close to the correct one but the only option for that is C, which is 2 only.but it cant be that cuz student one is definetly correct....i would have selected A cuz i know one and 3 are correct.......But also keep in mind that sometimes there are errors in the marking scheme too....yes it does happen :)

im pretty sure about the 1st question i explained....the second im not too sure.......it could probably be a marking scheme error
just keep practicing past papers and good luck for tomorow :)

Reaction score
Hey guys.
There is this complicated sort of (data-collection related) question that came on m/j/13 all the variants in different forms and has a high chance of appearing this year on m/j/14 as well.
1)
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_qp_11.pdf
Number 14 of this paper. The answer is D, and it makes sense when you eliminate the anomalous results.

But, in the second variant paper of the same year, in a similar question, number 14, the process does not work and process of answering both are completely contradictory. The answer is B on this one.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_qp_12.pdf

Andd duas needed, guys!
Thanks.
this 14th question was seriously a headache, i found it difficult too :-/

Reaction score
You just looked at the marking scheme wrong. The answer for 14 (second variant) is C. Look at the marking scheme I've given the link to below. The answer has to be a whole number, and that makes C (Student 3) the only one to have calculated it correctly. Good luck :)

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_ms_12.pdf

I am soo sorry! actually I mistakenly wrote the answers that I found instead of the markschemes correct ones.
The answers of the first var really is B and the second variant really is C, Im sorry for quoting it wrongly.

My question still stands. For paper 11,
student 2 has an anomalous reading of 8. Calculate it without the anomalous value and you have 18 (correct ans) and the fourth student who has an anomalous reading calculated it correctly too (without the anomalous reading).
The examiners report says that the anomalous readings should be ignored too, so the closest answer is C, i understand.

But in the second variant, why not 1 AND 4? Ignoring the anomalous readings in 3 and 4, the values I calculated are:
1- 9.2, 2- 9.2 (rounded off to 9), 3- 18.75 (incorrect) and 4- 18.75 (rounded off to 18.8).
Why not B then? Why C?
I hope you get me guys. Please explain? Maybe the markscheme is really wrong? idk. Thankyou so much for answering either way :)

Reaction score
hiiiii....so i checked both the papers and yes they are very similar.......but the questions are pretty simple :)
first lets take question 14 in the first paper....you have to calculate the mean for each of them.
when you caclulate the mean yourself yes the values are different....but you have to take the option which has the smallest difference between the mean value you ve calculated and the mean value given.When you calculate the mean yourself your values will be 11 18 9.2 and 18.5 respectively....so here the smallest difference is between 9 which is the mean they ve given and 9.2 which you calculated......so its student three.....the next smallest difference is between 10.5 and 11 but there no '1 and 3 ' option given.....so D is the only possible answer.

the other question in the other paper....when you calculate the mean values for that you ll get exactly 9.2 for the first student...so the first student has calculated mean corrrectly...but wat i dont get is student three has calculated mean correclty too.....so my answer would be 1 and 3 but theres no option like that given...and student 2 has also gotten a value very close to the correct one but the only option for that is C, which is 2 only.but it cant be that cuz student one is definetly correct....i would have selected A cuz i know one and 3 are correct.......But also keep in mind that sometimes there are errors in the marking scheme too....yes it does happen :)

im pretty sure about the 1st question i explained....the second im not too sure.......it could probably be a marking scheme error
just keep practicing past papers and good luck for tomorow :)

Thank youu!

Reaction score
Yeah you've probably been looking at the wrong mark scheme. Just automatically eliminate any students' answers given to .1, because they all have to be whole numbers^^

OMG I just realised this after typing that big paragraph on my problem.
Its so SIMPLE! *FACEPALM*
The number of bubbles can not be a fraction! It has to be a whole number. I am such a failure.
Thank you sooo much man.
You guys seem so helpful. Lol. This is the first time Ive posted anything here, so dont mind my repeated thankyous.

Reaction score
can
Hey guys.
1)
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_qp_11.pdf
Number 14 of this paper. The answer is B, and it makes sense when you eliminate the anomalous results.

But, in the second variant paper of the same year, in a similar question, number 14, the process does not work and process of answering both are completely contradictory. The answer is C on this one.
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_s13_qp_12.pdf

Andd duas needed, guys!
Thanks.
yousolve this which category of disease includes most of the infectious diseases a.deficiency b. degenerative c. physical d. social

Reaction score
hiiii
There is this complicated sort of (data-collection related) question that came on m\j\13 paper 13 number(24)and the choice was B
however the question that came on O\N\13 paper 13 also was exactly the same one but in different answer !!which was number (19) and it's choice was C !!!
Anyone to explain me pleaseeee

Reaction score
I am soo sorry! actually I mistakenly wrote the answers that I found instead of the markschemes correct ones.
The answers of the first var really is B and the second variant really is C, Im sorry for quoting it wrongly.

My question still stands. For paper 11,
student 2 has an anomalous reading of 8. Calculate it without the anomalous value and you have 18 (correct ans) and the fourth student who has an anomalous reading calculated it correctly too (without the anomalous reading).
The examiners report says that the anomalous readings should be ignored too, so the closest answer is C, i understand.

But in the second variant, why not 1 AND 4? Ignoring the anomalous readings in 3 and 4, the values I calculated are:
1- 9.2, 2- 9.2 (rounded off to 9), 3- 18.75 (incorrect) and 4- 18.75 (rounded off to 18.8).
Why not B then? Why C?
I hope you get me guys. Please explain? Maybe the markscheme is really wrong? idk. Thankyou so much for answering either way :)
which category of disease includes most of the infectious diseases a.deficiency b. degenerative c. physical d. social

Reaction score
AN ANY ONE SOLVE
how do B lymphocytes differ from t lymphocytes a) only B- lymphocytes attack cells infected by micro-organisms b) only B- lymphocytes attack cells from transplanted organs c) only B- lymphocytes produce suppressor cells d)only B- lymphocytes produce memory cells

Reaction score
OMG I just realised this after typing that big paragraph on my problem.
Its so SIMPLE! *FACEPALM*
The number of bubbles can not be a fraction! It has to be a whole number. I am such a failure.
Thank you sooo much man.
You guys seem so helpful. Lol. This is the first time Ive posted anything here, so dont mind my repeated thankyous.
how do B lymphocytes differ from t lymphocytes a) only B- lymphocytes attack cells infected by micro-organisms b) only B- lymphocytes attack cells from transplanted organs c) only B- lymphocytes produce suppressor cells d)only B- lymphocytes produce memory cells

Reaction score
a person has a heart rate of 70 beats per minute and stroke volume of 80 cm3 what is the approximate volume of blood returning to the heart per minute from the left pulmonary vein only

Reaction score
AN ANY ONE SOLVE
D

the answers D
only b lymphocytes produce memory cells

Reaction score
a person has a heart rate of 70 beats per minute and stroke volume of 80 cm3 what is the approximate volume of blood returning to the heart per minute from the left pulmonary vein only a)0.7 b)1.7 c)2.8 d)5.6