• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

3 SIG FIG ISSUE

Reaction score
If the real answer to a question is 24
And my answer is 23.99 and the examiner wants to three significant figures and if i write 24.1
Instead of 24.0 will it be wrong

Reaction score
If the real answer to a question is 24
And my answer is 23.99 and the examiner wants to three significant figures and if i write 24.1
Instead of 24.0 will it be wrong
I'm afraid that it might be wrong; it is immature approximation. :( however, if you have written 23.99 in the previous step for that question, they might give you full credit. So hope for the best.

Reaction score
I'm afraid that it might be wrong; it is immature approximation. :( however, if you have written 23.99 in the previous step for that question, they might give you full credit. So hope for the best.
I actually asked my friend right now and one teacher as you said 23.99 is actually 4 sig figures which will result in penalty and a wrong estimation but 70% of people are saying that 24.1 is correct

Reaction score
I actually asked my friend right now and one teacher as you said 23.99 is actually 4 sig figures which will result in penalty and a wrong estimation but 70% of people are saying that 24.1 is correct
They might be correct, but once i read a CIE booklet, which was given to my physics teacher at the workshop, there was some info regarding this type of immature approximation which is penalised.

Reaction score
They might be correct, but once i read a CIE booklet, which was given to my physics teacher at the workshop, there was some info regarding this type of immature approximation which is penalised.
Well atleast its better than putting 4 sig fig which is not allowed only 3 and you can't form a new value with either 24.0 or even 24.1 but 24.2 24.5 would be so wrong

Reaction score
Well atleast its better than putting 4 sig fig which is not allowed only 3 and you can't form a new value with either 24.0 or even 24.1 but 24.2 24.5 would be so wrong
I have already mentioned that you may get the credit. It depends on the examiner now, so hope for the best. ;)

Reaction score
Its simple man , the zero after the decimal is counted as a significant figure
24 = 2 sig
24.0 = 3 sig
24.00 = 4 sig
24.000 = 5 sig