• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score
The points A and B have position vectors, relative to the origin O, given by
−−→OA = i+2j+3k and −−→OB = 2i+j+3k.
The line l has vector equation
r = (1−2t)i+ (5+t)j+ (2−t)k.
(i) Show that l does not intersect the line passing through A and B.
(ii) The point P lies on l and is such that angle PAB is equal to 60◦
. Given that the position vector
of P is (1 − 2t)i + (5 + t)j + (2 − t)k, show that 3t
2 + 7t + 2 = 0. Hence find the only possible
position vector of P.

I solved the question but for part (ii) I got t = -2 and t=-1/3. What I don't understand is why do we reject t = -1/3 and use t=-2 to find the position vector of P?

Reaction score
I can't solve 8 (b). Can anyone help me with it. If you are curious then this is from w_13_qp_31. I don't know how to find least value of |z-w|

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Is there anyone who knows about any good maths book which should contains some difficult questions of complex no. ...just like the questions which are in mayjune 13 papers.??????????

Reaction score
Hi guys.Anyone can help me with the diff of this question.Thanks a lot.....
Its question 8 from oct nov 12(31)

Attachments

• f.png
    f.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s08_qp_3.pdf
I have some problems with qn no. 5
In (i), how do I sketch the locus in an argand diagram?
(ii) I just can't solve this question. Please help me understand the working

I'll be grateful for any help provided.
Thanks
5(i)
From what i have learned. for |z-i|=2 draw circle with center at 0,i. z is at o,o and -i means that now center point is 0,i if it was +i then center point would be 0,-i just opposite. Same for real numbers i.e |z-1| would mean starting point is 0,1. Now the 2 is radius. SO |z-i|=2 means draw circle with radius 2 and center 0,i. modulus of imaginary number is a circle.

Reaction score
5(i)
From what i have learned. for |z-i|=2 draw circle with center at 0,i. z is at o,o and -i means that now center point is 0,i if it was +i then center point would be 0,-i just opposite. Same for real numbers i.e |z-1| would mean starting point is 0,1. Now the 2 is radius. SO |z-i|=2 means draw circle with radius 2 and center 0,i. modulus of imaginary number is a circle.
Thanks a lot
umm.. what about part ii?

Reaction score
Please someone solve Q8b, just how to find the least value for z-w with explanations of why you are doing each step pleasee!

Attachments

• 9709_w13_qp_31.pdf
    89.3 KB · Views: 12