• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Math C1 and M1 doubts: Post here :)

Reaction score
can any1 tell me the difference between the graphs of:
1) y=f(x)
2) y=f(-x)
3) y=-f(x)

Reaction score
in the second one you should multiply all the x values by -1 and the y values are not changed(reflection on the y axis)
in the third one you should multiply the y values by -1 and the x values are not changed(reflection on the x axis)

Reaction score
can any1 tell me the difference between the graphs of:
1) y=f(x)
2) y=f(-x)
3) y=-f(x)

heres to put it short, however x is treated inside the bracket, you do the opposite of it to the x - coordinate of the function.
1) actually x is being multiplied by one, so doing the opposite you divide by one, makes no difference.
2) you are multiplying x by -1, so you divide the x-coordinate by -1, the x becomes negative, if already -ve then it will become +ve though.
3) now if anything is being done to y, or outside the bracket, it has the same affect on the y-coordinate. here you are multiplying by -1 so you will multiply all y-coordinates by -1.

hope that helps :)

Reaction score
heres to put it short, however x is treated inside the bracket, you do the opposite of it to the x - coordinate of the function.
1) actually x is being multiplied by one, so doing the opposite you divide by one, makes no difference.
2) you are multiplying x by -1, so you divide the x-coordinate by -1, the x becomes negative, if already -ve then it will become +ve though.
3) now if anything is being done to y, or outside the bracket, it has the same affect on the y-coordinate. here you are multiplying by -1 so you will multiply all y-coordinates by -1.

hope that helps :)

thnx alot :)

can someone post some C1 tips!

i need tips too..

Reaction score
How is every1's prep for M1 goin? Are you fully prepared? I have the exam this wednesday and it seems fairly straight forward and the work is going pretty well!
mine is okay....
dont u feel dat the paper pattern of the recent papers is different frm the ones b4 2009?

Reaction score
lol sorry but I havent dun any afta 07 yet...ill finish off soon Insha Allah- is it extremely different or just slightly?

im getting pretty good percentages atm from some of the papers (i have dun like 6 so far) - ill do some post 09 and see if it makes a difference

im guessing ur ready for m1 then?
its alright :)
i feel they are MUCH harder =/ in the pre-09 ones, i was managing close to centums but dese... :(

(y) Great Mashallah :)

not at ALL :cry: :cry: :cry:

Reaction score
lol u just said you were close to 100% then whats wrong? lol you're more than ready then! hmmmm...ill HAVE to try a few papers out then for post 09 because u have scared me now.... :(
well in the od papeers yes! but the new ones... :cry: :cry:
sorry! but u need to face the reality :p

Reaction score
oh ok..... ill try a few later on b4 the exam. BUT I DON'T think it would be that bad...if you got near 100%s then in the worst case scenario you will get around 90 so it cant be that bad Insha Allah!
m getting around 80s... :(
Inshallah! we'll ALL get 90+ ;)
r u doing M2 as well?

Reaction score
80s is fine for me ....just need around 25/100 UMS to get my A* in maths IF i get high on C4 which is what im planning to do..

nah basically in AS-level I did c1/c2 and s1 and now for A2 im doin c3/c4/m1...

c3 i have dun and got c4/m1 left to do...... i might be takin a gap year and therefore while im on it i might further maths which will mean ill do m2 probz too
oh GREAT!! (y) wat were ur oder unit marks if u need just 25?
C4 is hard.... i got tensed up during da paper n messed it up :cry: :(
i need 63 :p

oh! i see :) i did C1, C2, C3 for AS and C4, M1, M2 for A2 :)
ahan! (y) awesome! but M2 is really :mad:

Reaction score
ahan! AWESOME!! Mashallah!

C1 100
C2 94
C3 94
C4 66 :cry: :cry: i got stuck on 1 question n dint solve the rest of the paper properly :cry:

Now M1 and M2

Reaction score
wow those are some awesome results! ahh forget c4 - it was a mistake and blatantly obvious that it just wasn't your day but still MASHALLAH c1/c2/c3 are amazing! now get those 90-100 in M1 and M2 Insha Allah. So what result are u aiming for overall???
thanks a LOT! urs were awesome as well!

umm... i'd WANT an A* but i heard dat we need As in all units to get an overall A* ryt? if so, den no chances for A* :(
wbu? wat r u expecting? :)

Reaction score
thanks my results were from the help of Allah (honestly speaking)
well yh wat u heard is kinda of right....c3 and c4 need to be exceptionally high like above 90+ to get A* and stuff like that....

well according to what i know...I Should be on for an A* jus need a decent mark on c4 like around 84 or soemthing because of my 96 in c3 and needa get m1 sorted to around 25 but ill aim for better Insha Allah. I want to get the A* but lets see Insha Allah everything will work out for both of us....im gnna go and get some work sorted out Insha Allah. take care! speak to u soon. Allah Hafiz
true! same here! Allah's help :)
ahan! :(

m sure u will get an A* Inshallah :D
Sure! Inshallah :) u 2 tc n was nice talking 2 u :)
Salam
Do rememer me in ur prayers pls :)

Reaction score
yup I will remember u Insha Allah but REMEMBER ME TOO please :)

just did a paper for m1 (did it fast just to see - took like 50 mins or so but didnt re-check b4 i marked) but yh..

jus came on to mark it...it went well.
but yh remember me too Insha Allah and it was a pleasure speaking to u too.
sure :)

a recent one? after 09?
:)