• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

How was Biology Paper 22 MAY/JUNE 2017?

Reaction score
what did u write for the aorta qs. why it is organ and tissue
I think the question could be answered in both ways... a tissue or organ.
i wrote a tissue. And then brief description of the structure of aorta and "specific" function that was to transport blood to all parts of the body except lungs, even to the organ, heart via coronary artery. I might be wrong. I hope not. I mean its 4 marks!!

Reaction score
Aorta is organ because it is comprised of various tissues like smooth muscle tissue,elastic tissue and collagen,etc...and we had to write the functions of tissues as well...
so you are saying even arteries are organs because they have multiple types of tissues? nope. It was a two sided question for sure. The heart is an organ. Never will you ever find aorta when you learn about human organ system.

Reaction score
oh the equation. Am i correct?
triglycerides+water------->glycerol + 3 fatty acids.
also in the first table...photosynthesis, Smooth ER, mitochindira, Rough ER.

Reaction score
so you are saying even arteries are organs because they have multiple types of tissues? nope. It was a two sided question for sure. The heart is an organ. Never will you ever find aorta when you learn about human organ system.
the question was how aorta can act as both tissues and organs, and i wrote the same as sarmadimran

Reaction score
y
oh the equation. Am i correct?
triglycerides+water------->glycerol + 3 fatty acids.
also in the first table...photosynthesis, Smooth ER, mitochindira, Rough ER.
yea correct, do u have to write '3' i forgot to

Reaction score
What did u write about strong sink and cytokinesis?
strong sink: needs high amounts of assimilates OR has ability to attract more assimilates, cyto: vesicles more to centre of cell, they fuse to form cell plate, cell plate extends and joins with cell membrane, middle lamella formed in between and the cell divides into 2

Reaction score
y
yea correct, do u have to write '3' i forgot to
I don't think it is necessary.
the question was how aorta can act as both tissues and organs, and i wrote the same as sarmadimran
So if i wrote it is a tissue, Described its "specific" function (transporting blood to heart via coronary artery, and to rest of the body except lungs) and wrote about its structure for e.g elastic fibers to withstand high pressure can i get at least 2 marks?

Reaction score
I don't think it is necessary.

So if i wrote it is a tissue, Described its "specific" function (transporting blood to heart via coronary artery, and to rest of the body except lungs) and wrote about its structure for e.g elastic fibers to withstand high pressure can i get at least 2 marks?
yea 2 marks for sure

Reaction score
Plz can someone tell me what was the questions about? Means what are the topics that cane?

Reaction score
Plz can someone tell me what was the questions about? Means what are the topics that cane?

There was the cell cycle, semi conservative DNA replication, loading of assimilates into phloem, stem cells, immune response, cell signalling. Damage on lining of airways due to smoking, magnification, immobilized enzymes and their advantages. There was a question where the base sequence of DNA was given and you had to figure out what what the sequence transcribed on mRNA and what were the anticodons of the tRNA that attached. Something about emphysema and why alveoli can burst if they cant recoil. A question on tuberculosis as well.