• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm an Olevel student seeking advice. Is Alevel Further Math a very difficult subject to get an A in? I Might take it but not sure as many people get Cs or drop it.

Reaction score
My question is that my sir said that when we are taking moments at A, there is no need to consider forces at C of AC on BC and vice versa. Why is this so? Why shouldnt we account for forces at C when taking moments at A? Is it bcoz at C, force of AC on AB and AB on AC would be equal and opposite that they would get cancelled. if this is the case, how can we be sure that the 2 forces at C are same?

mechanics.JPG

Reaction score
Hello any kind souls able to help me with Q7 November 2006 on Polar Coordinates? The second part how do you use the w and then integrate I can't get the idea. Any help asap is really appreciated.

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you had some notes to share on further mechanics, specifically "Rotation of a Rigid Body" and "Equilibrium of a Rigid Body under coplanar forces"!
Thanks!

Reaction score
My question is that my sir said that when we are taking moments at A, there is no need to consider forces at C of AC on BC and vice versa. Why is this so? Why shouldnt we account for forces at C when taking moments at A? Is it bcoz at C, force of AC on AB and AB on AC would be equal and opposite that they would get cancelled. if this is the case, how can we be sure that the 2 forces at C are same?

View attachment 50631

Yes, that is the case. We are essentially looking at resolved contact forces at C with vertical and horizontal components. Since the horizontal force exerted by one rod is equal and opposite to that of the other rod (action-reaction pair, 3rd Law) and same case for vertical components, the forces gets cancelled and need not to be taken when considering the WHOLE system!

Reaction score
Yes, that is the case. We are essentially looking at resolved contact forces at C with vertical and horizontal components. Since the horizontal force exerted by one rod is equal and opposite to that of the other rod (action-reaction pair, 3rd Law) and same case for vertical components, the forces gets cancelled and need not to be taken when considering the WHOLE system!
I get it. Thanks for your help :)

Reaction score
image.jpg
Can someone please help me with 9231/01/ON/08 Q7 ? Maybe a step by step solution? I've seen the marking scheme but still can't get the equation given there. Thanks.

Reaction score
Can anyone please send me notes on Further Pure Mathematics?
Matrices and linear spaces most importantly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello guys
I have difficulty to solve a question on equillibrium
June 2007 number 3 paper 2
I need to check my step whether i did them well or not
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hey guys
I have difficulty to solve these two mechanics questions
Can i get the solution step please
9231 n09 number 5