• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Computer Studies Notes + Tips + Queries

Reaction score
hey can plz any1 help me comprehend this statement.i read it from a site bt i fail to understand it. wht it states is "validation can be used to protect data frm mistakes by the user whereas verification can be used 2 protect data frm probs that occur due 2 systems fault"according to me it is completely illogical. i request any1 who can grasp the logic behind the statement to explain me so.
plzzzzzzzzzz help soon

Reaction score
hey can plz any1 help me comprehend this statement.i read it from a site bt i fail to understand it. wht it states is "validation can be used to protect data frm mistakes by the user whereas verification can be used 2 protect data frm probs that occur due 2 systems fault"according to me it is completely illogical. i request any1 who can grasp the logic behind the statement to explain me so.
plzzzzzzzzzz help soon

That statement is a bit confusing....
Generally, validation means to make sure that the data entered fulfils certain criteria such as a particular length or format and verification means to check the data for errors ( by double entry or visual check etc)once it is transferred from one medium to another such as from paper to the screen.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Is the GCSE Computer Studies by Graham Taylor a reliable source for preparation? Or should I look somewhere else, perhaps in the coursebook?

Reaction score
How can an interrupt be generated?
Suppose you set up your printer to print a 50 page document. Halfway, if it runs out if paper then the printer is going to send an 'urgent message' to the processor demanding it to stop what it is doing and deal with the error the printer is facing. This message is called an interrupt and is generated when a peripheral device encounters some problem and requires the processor's attention. It causes the processor to stop what its doing at the moment and deal with the interrupt.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Suppose you set up your printer to print a 50 page document. Halfway, if it runs out if paper then the printer is going to send an 'urgent message' to the processor demanding it to stop what it is doing and deal with the error the printer is facing. This message is called an interrupt and is generated when a peripheral device encounters some problem and requires the processor's attention. It causes the processor to stop what its doing at the moment and deal with the interrupt.
Hope this helps!
So it deals ONLY with the peripheral devices ?

Reaction score
So it deals ONLY with the peripheral devices ?
As far as i know, yes it deals only with peripheral devices only, since it deals with requesting help from the processor which is , after all, the most powerful component in a computer. Therefore, it involves communication between peripherals and the processor only.

Reaction score
Hi
In a computer mock exam , there was a logic gate question where the statement was' A is 1 if P is 1
AND EITHER R is NOT 1......'
could anyone tell me what AND EITHER means and what sort of gate is used in that situation?
Thanks

Reaction score
can anybody help?
a) what is meant by streaming when watching a video on a computer screen? (2)
b) what is the difference between true(real time streaming) and on demand streaming? (2)
c) to allow high quality video playback during streaming, computers need special software and a way of temporarily saving the data.
describe one piece of software needed and also how data can be stored temporarily (2)
d) give one benefit and one drawback of using streaming to play videos. (2)
plz its needed urgently :(

Reaction score
i am sorry to disturb you guys but do any one have ICT oct/nov 2003 and 2004 supporting files

Reaction score
can anybody help?
a) what is meant by streaming when watching a video on a computer screen? (2)
b) what is the difference between true(real time streaming) and on demand streaming? (2)
c) to allow high quality video playback during streaming, computers need special software and a way of temporarily saving the data.
describe one piece of software needed and also how data can be stored temporarily (2)
d) give one benefit and one drawback of using streaming to play videos. (2)
plz its needed urgently :(

a) Source of video is constantly sending video to computer and computer is showing the video simultaneously on the screen.
b) I can't explain it but true streaming is like watching online tv, You cant go back. On demand is like youtube you can replay, rewatch an portion
c) CODEC/Compression software and data can be stored in buffer
d) Drawback is that low quality/ frequent dropouts or pauses. Benefit is that easier to access ( can be watched from anywhere) and one point of distribution so it may save storage space as the video does not need to be copied to pc's to view it.

Reaction score
a) Source of video is constantly sending video to computer and computer is showing the video simultaneously on the screen.
b) I can't explain it but true streaming is like watching online tv, You cant go back. On demand is like youtube you can replay, rewatch an portion
c) CODEC/Compression software and data can be stored in buffer
d) Drawback is that low quality/ frequent dropouts or pauses. Benefit is that easier to access ( can be watched from anywhere) and one point of distribution so it may save storage space as the video does not need to be copied to pc's to view it.

Reaction score
I've made this site that can be used to quickly access past papers to all the subjects of O Level, IGCSE, and AS and A level students. Try it out and please give feedback. Already being used in 59 countries by over 1500 students.

O Level: gopapers.net/olevel.html
IGCSE: gopapers.net/igcse.html
A & AS Level: gopapers.net/alevel.html
from where did you purchase the domain and how much it costs you in indian rupees?

I would like to contribute to this project if you have no problems with it. just a little visual appeal to it. send me your public git url. I will clone it and make it more appealing and then send it to you.
I won't commit it so you get to see if my code before final commit(if you don't use development branches . )
lets make this project better together :)