• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Question 1 (c) i!

Another hydrocarbon, W, with the formula C4H8, reacts with hydrogen bromide, HBr, to give two products X and Y. X and Y are structural isomers of molecular formula C4H9Br. Reaction of X with aqueous alkali produces an alcohol, Z, that has no reaction with acidifi ed dichromate(VI).

It asks for the names of the structures. What I came up with was.

W = CH2=CHCH2CH3 - Butene

X= CH3CH2CH2CH2Br - Bromobutane

Y= CH3CH(Br) CH2CH3 - 2- Bromobutane

but in the mark scheme W,X and Y are different than my answers. I don't understand how my answers can be wrong. :/ Can someone PLEASE PLEASE explain why my formulas aren't considered correct since they have the same molecular formula as C4H8 and C4H9Br. :(

I'll be forever grateful!

I've attached the mark scheme!

http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9701_s14_ms_23.pdf

Reaction score
Question 1 (c) i!

Another hydrocarbon, W, with the formula C4H8, reacts with hydrogen bromide, HBr, to give two products X and Y. X and Y are structural isomers of molecular formula C4H9Br. Reaction of X with aqueous alkali produces an alcohol, Z, that has no reaction with acidifi ed dichromate(VI).

but in the mark scheme W,X and Y are different than my answers. I don't understand how my answers can be wrong. :/ Can someone PLEASE PLEASE explain why my formulas aren't considered correct since they have the same molecular formula as C4H8 and C4H9Br. :(

Ok,firstly your own ans are wrong W is But-1-ene,at this level we have to use full names.
X forms an alcohol that gives no reaction with oxidising agent hence it must be a tertiary alcohol,and hence W must also have a structure where one carbon is surrounded by 3 others,as after electrophilic substitution wth Bromene it will again be nucleophilically substituted to form the TERTIARY ALCOHOL.

Keep that in mind and try to work out the structures via reverse processing each one,and work your way backwards.Try it keeping the tertiary alcohol in mind and then tell me if it doesnt work out for you.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this. I don't get one thing though, how can you tell the mole ratios in the (iv) part? By comparing the NH4+ ions to what in which equation?

(I know I may come across as stupid but moles and organic are my weakness :'( )
Consider NH3 moles in next part eqn with first part. :)
Question 1 (c) i!

Organic is yet not started. Sorry. Refer to this post.

Reaction score
Consider NH3 moles in next part eqn with first part. :)

Organic is yet not started. Sorry. Refer to this post.

Ok,firstly your own ans are wrong W is But-1-ene,at this level we have to use full names.
X forms an alcohol that gives no reaction with oxidising agent hence it must be a tertiary alcohol,and hence W must also have a structure where one carbon is surrounded by 3 others,as after electrophilic substitution wth Bromene it will again be nucleophilically substituted to form the TERTIARY ALCOHOL.

Keep that in mind and try to work out the structures via reverse processing each one,and work your way backwards.Try it keeping the tertiary alcohol in mind and then tell me if it doesnt work out for you.

Thank you so much guys for your help! :)

Reaction score
PLZ someone explain me last two boxes and part B !!! ASAP
!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Could someone explain this equation?

The commonest form of iron(II) sulfate is the heptahydrate, FeSO4.7H2O. On heating at 90 C this loses some of its water of crystallisation to form a different hydrated form of iron(II) sulfate, FeSO4.xH2O. 3.40g of FeSO4.xH2O was dissolved in water to form 250 cm3 of solution. A 25.0cm3 sample of this solution was acidifi ed and titrated with 0.0200 mol dm–3 potassium manganate(VII). In this titration 20.0cm3 of this potassium manganate(VII) solution was required to react fully with the Fe2+ ions present in the sample.

Complete and balance the ionic equation for the reaction between the manganate(VII) ions and the iron(II) ions.

MnO4 – (aq) + 5Fe2+(aq) + ........H+(aq)  ..... +....(aq) + 5Fe3+(aq) + .......H2O(l)

Also this question!

Another element, Z, in the same period of the Periodic Table as A, reacts with chlorine to form a compound with empirical formula ZCl 2. The percentage composition by mass of ZCl 2 is Z, 31.13; Cl, 68.87.

Calculate the relative atomic mass, Ar , of Z. Give your answer to three significant figures.

I've attached the mark scheme for reference! http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9701_s14_ms_21.pdf

Reaction score

The commonest form of iron(II) sulfate is the heptahydrate, FeSO4.7H2O. On heating at 90 C this loses some of its water of crystallisation to form a different hydrated form of iron(II) sulfate, FeSO4.xH2O. 3.40g of FeSO4.xH2O was dissolved in water to form 250 cm3 of solution. A 25.0cm3 sample of this solution was acidifi ed and titrated with 0.0200 mol dm–3 potassium manganate(VII). In this titration 20.0cm3 of this potassium manganate(VII) solution was required to react fully with the Fe2+ ions present in the sample.

Complete and balance the ionic equation for the reaction between the manganate(VII) ions and the iron(II) ions.

MnO4 – (aq) + 5Fe2+(aq) + ........H+(aq)  ..... +....(aq) + 5Fe3+(aq) + .......H2O(l)

Also this question!

Another element, Z, in the same period of the Periodic Table as A, reacts with chlorine to form a compound with empirical formula ZCl 2. The percentage composition by mass of ZCl 2 is Z, 31.13; Cl, 68.87.

Calculate the relative atomic mass, Ar , of Z. Give your answer to three significant figures.

I've attached the mark scheme for reference! http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9701_s14_ms_21.pdf

HELPPP! I NEED HELPPPP! #DesperationAtItsPeak

Reaction score
And also in the same question, it was asked whether the compound exhibits cis-trans isomerism. And the answer was No. So does it mean that cyclic alkenes never exhibit isomerism?

No. Cycloalkenes are restricted from having cis-trans isomers, but those which have more than 8 carbons DO have cis-trans isomerism.
Metanoia Please confirm this is true right??

Yes. Cis isomers would be very unlikely in small rings (less than 8 carbons) due to the strain on the bonds.

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone please explain to me these questions? Thank you

1. The density of this nitrogen to be 1.2572gdm-3 at stp. Chemically, pure nitrogen has a density of 1.2505gdm-3 at stp. Which gas was present in atmospheric nitrogen to cause this discrepancy?
A. Argon B. Helium C. Methane D. Neon. ANS: Argon (Why?)

2. A sample of mg of an organic compound is vaporised in a gas syringe and occupies V cm3 at TK and p atm. What is the relative molecular mass of the compound, Mr?
A. Mr= (m.22400.T)/p.V.273 B. Mr= (m.22400.T+273)/p.V.273 C. Mr= (m.22400.273.p)/V.T D. (m.22400.273.p)/V.(T+273) ANS: A

Q1. Since the density of the mixture is higher than density of pure N2, it indicates that N2 is mixed with another gas that has a higher Mr than N2 (28).

Q2.
pV = nRT
pV = (mass/Mr)RT ------(1)

What is R?
When T = 273, n =1, p = 1, V = 22400
R= pV/nT = 22400/273

Sub into eqn (1) and rearrange the equation in terms of Mr

Reaction score
PLZ someone explain me last two boxes and part B !!! ASAP
!

The cold dilute MnO4- mildly oxidises the C=C bonds, adding 2 OH groups to each carbon to form a di-ol

The OH group subsequently oxidizes to form COOH and ketones respectively for the last box.

Reaction between C and D: C has an acid group and D has an alcohol group, create an ester bond between them.
Reaction between C and E: Again, use the COOH group on E to form an ester with any alcohol group won C.

Reaction score

? what is the part you are having difficulty with? The balance equation or finding out x?

Also this question!

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 11.37.55 AM.png

Reaction score
Does anyone know about Partition Coefficient? How do we know which substance is at the top and which is at the bottom?

Last edited:
Reaction score

Also this question!

Just balance key element first then O and then H.

Attachments

• eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.png
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.png
    279.8 KB · Views: 28