• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

A level Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can someone please help with this graph?? the answer is 0.45 but i dont get it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171005-092832.png
    Screenshot_20171005-092832.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Can someone please help with this graph?? the answer is 0.45 but i dont get it
It is quite simple...
Same water potential of sucrose solution and cell sap means that at that point there will be no change in length i.e. the ratio initial length/ final length would be 1... so look for the corresponding value of concentration for the value 1 of the ratio
Hope it helped :)

Reaction score
i know its a simple question but i just want to know what is added(in 2016) or removed(from 2014) from AS biology syllabus

Reaction score
i know its a simple question but i just want to know what is added(in 2016) or removed(from 2014) from AS biology syllabus
For that, check the latest syllabus

Attachments

• 165651-2016-2018-syllabus.pdf
    290 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Ohh sorry...here u go

Attachments

• 164500-2016-2018-syllabus.pdf
    438.2 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
24 In an animal cell, which process is dependent upon cell surface area and which process is
dependent upon cell volume?
cell surface area cell volume
A carbon dioxide produced oxygen used
B glucose absorbed hormones detected
C hormones detected carbon dioxide produced
D oxygen used glucose absorbed
Ans:C
Hormones are detected by the receptors on membrane of the cell. So the greater the cell surface area, the bigger the number of receptors that can detect hormones. The amount of gases used/produced in respiration are dependent on cell volume, as the bigger the cell the more consumption/production.

Reaction score
i need a help in this question
First of all, see how many stage micrometer's divisions are being covered by the radius...that is 1 whole division and some part of the other. To calculate that exactly note that it can be clearly observed that 50 eyepiece divisions are being covered and since 40 e.p.g divisions cover 1 s.m division, so 50 e.p.g divisions cover (1/40)x50= 1.25 s.m divisions. The actual radius will then be 1.25x0.1= 0.125 mm= 0.125x1000= 125 um. Applying the formula of area, the area would be π x 125 x 125 i.e. option C

Reaction score
Yea I too think 99's the right ans...some say it's 50
No 50 can not be the right answer bqz all the amino acids are linked with one another in a chain...just imagine 3 of them linking up so there will be 2 bonds bw them...similarly if there are 5 so 4 bonds will be present. In this way it is quite obvious that for 100, 99 bonds will be present... :)

Reaction score
Hi! Is there any one who is doing AS/A Level Biology this Oct/Nov, and finished 9700/S3 paper 22?
I just want to find out what you answered in the first question, whether it was B, C, or D (image attached for reference). I don't remember whether the meristematic region was in zone C or D of the image in the question and I'm getting a bit anxious.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
It is quite simple...
Same water potential of sucrose solution and cell sap means that at that point there will be no change in length i.e. the ratio initial length/ final length would be 1... so look for the corresponding value of concentration for the value 1 of the ratio
Hope it helped :)
thank u!!

Reaction score
yup bt can u explain why ??
From the table, this is the lowest magnification...lowest magnification means that the size of each cell will be the smallest and so the maximum number can be seen
The smaller the size of an object, the more of them can fit in an area of space