• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

S2 Mathematics : Masters of statistics 2 please help us

Reaction score
So, paper 7 will be on 29th so we must unite and tackle the problems together. Luckily I have been able to do 3 or 4 questions out of 6 or 7 questions in the past papers. So, I'm hoping that I may clear your doubts and I'll do my best to clear yours :) so, let's start! I'm gonna ask first.

Reaction score
The weights of bags of fuel have mean 3.2 kg and standard deviation 0.04 kg. The total weight of a random sample of three bags is denoted by T kg. Find the mean and standard deviation of T .

Why the mean is 3.2 x 3 ? Why should it be multiplied by 3 ?
Why the sd is square root of (3 x (0.04)^2) ?

Reaction score
The number of goals scored per match by Everly Rovers is represented by the random variable X which has mean 1.8.
(i) State two conditions for X to be modelled by a Poisson distribution.
Assume now that X ∼ Po(1.8).
(ii) Find P(2 < X < 6).
(iii) The manager promises the team a bonus if they score at least 1 goal in each of the next 10 matches. Find the probability that they win the bonus.

I only didn't understand the part 3 , what is the concept behind it? The answer is ( 1 - e^-1.8)^10

Reaction score
The number of adult customers arriving in a shop during a 5-minute period is modelled by a random variable with distribution Po(6). The number of child customers arriving in the same shop during a 10-minute period is modelled by an independent random variable with distribution Po(4.5).
(i) Find the probability that during a randomly chosen 2-minute period, the total number of adult and child customers who arrive in the shop is less than 3. [3]
(ii) During a sale, the manager claims that more adult customers are arriving than usual. In a randomly selected 30-minute period during the sale, 49 adult customers arrive. Test the manager’s claim at the 2.5% significance level. [6]

The question is easy, what I didn't understand is in part 2 why we take 48.5 for continuity correction? Why not 49.5?

Reaction score
Jeevan thinks that a six-sided die is biased in favour of six. In order to test this, Jeevan throws the die 10 times. If the die shows a six on at least 4 throws out of 10, she will conclude that she is correct.
(i) State appropriate null and alternative hypotheses.
(ii) Calculate the probability of a Type I error.
(iii) Explain what is meant by a Type II error in this situation.
(iv) If the die is actually biased so that the probability of throwing a six is 1 , calculate the probability 2 of a Type II error.

I'm so weak this. Can anyone explain me?

Reaction score
The weights of bags of fuel have mean 3.2 kg and standard deviation 0.04 kg. The total weight of a random sample of three bags is denoted by T kg. Find the mean and standard deviation of T .

Why the mean is 3.2 x 3 ? Why should it be multiplied by 3 ?
Why the sd is square root of (3 x (0.04)^2) ?
Becoz the mean n sd given in que is for one bag but it is asked to find for 3 bags...
E(3B)=3xE(B)=3x302
For var(3B)=3xVar(B)=3*0.04^2 [all the bags r identical sooo dont square the 3]

Reaction score
The number of goals scored per match by Everly Rovers is represented by the random variable X which has mean 1.8.
(i) State two conditions for X to be modelled by a Poisson distribution.
Assume now that X ∼ Po(1.8).
(ii) Find P(2 < X < 6).
(iii) The manager promises the team a bonus if they score at least 1 goal in each of the next 10 matches. Find the probability that they win the bonus.

I only didn't understand the part 3 , what is the concept behind it? The answer is ( 1 - e^-1.8)^10
I think its already done to u

Reaction score
The number of adult customers arriving in a shop during a 5-minute period is modelled by a random variable with distribution Po(6). The number of child customers arriving in the same shop during a 10-minute period is modelled by an independent random variable with distribution Po(4.5).
(i) Find the probability that during a randomly chosen 2-minute period, the total number of adult and child customers who arrive in the shop is less than 3. [3]
(ii) During a sale, the manager claims that more adult customers are arriving than usual. In a randomly selected 30-minute period during the sale, 49 adult customers arrive. Test the manager’s claim at the 2.5% significance level. [6]

The question is easy, what I didn't understand is in part 2 why we take 48.5 for continuity correction? Why not 49.5?
becoz here alternative hypothesis > 36 so we hab to find P(X greater or equal to 49).
here lamda is 36 which is greater than 15 so valid normal approximation
then P(Y>48.5) [as there is greater than or equal to 49 we cant take 49.5 becoz 49 is not greater than 49.5 but 49 is greater than 48.5]
Hope u understand it...;)

Reaction score
Jeevan thinks that a six-sided die is biased in favour of six. In order to test this, Jeevan throws the die 10 times. If the die shows a six on at least 4 throws out of 10, she will conclude that she is correct.
(i) State appropriate null and alternative hypotheses.
(ii) Calculate the probability of a Type I error.
(iii) Explain what is meant by a Type II error in this situation.
(iv) If the die is actually biased so that the probability of throwing a six is 1 , calculate the probability 2 of a Type II error.

I'm so weak this. Can anyone explain me?

i) null P(6)= 1/6
alternative P(6) > 1/6 [becoz die is bias in favor of 6, soo prob of getting 6 is greater than 1/6]
ii) here n=10 becoz its thrown 10 times
type I error means reject Ho or accept H1
soo here u hab to find P(X greater than equal to 4)
find it using binomial distribution with p=1/6
iii) say that prob of getting 6 is 1/6 when its actually more than 1/6 [its becoz type 2 error means accepting Ho when Ho is false]
iv) here its given p=1 and again n=10
type II error means accept Ho or reject H1
soo here u hab to find P(X less than 4)
find it using binomial again...
HOPE IT WILL HELP U AND ALL THE BEST FOR TOMORROW'S EXAM....

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone kindly clear my doubts in the following questions:

M/J 2010 P 71:
In Q2 part ii) why do we equate half width with z(root(p*q/n))
In Q 4 part ii) why should we take it as E(5/8X) and Var(5/8X) rather than finding in km first then converting to miles
In Q 5 part iii) why is the integral equated to 0.2 and not 0.8

M/J 2011 P 71:
Q2 part b) why is (1/16) multiplied by 2 ? I am assuming it is a one-tailed test, since the question states that the interval contains values lower than population mean.
Q3 part ii) I didn't understand why we compare the given test statistic to the z value for 5% significance level

Reaction score

M/J 2010 P 71:
In Q 4 part ii) why should we take it as E(5/8X) and Var(5/8X) rather than finding in km first then converting to miles

M/J 2011 P 71:
Q2 part b) why is (1/16) multiplied by 2 ? I am assuming it is a one-tailed test, since the question states that the interval contains values lower than population mean.
Q3 part ii) I didn't understand why we compare the given test statistic to the z value for 5% significance level
mj10 p71
2)ii) its formula that is width = 2*z*root(p*q/n) so width is divided by 2.
4)ii) it can b done as u said..1st find the combined mean and s.d of (mr+mrs) in km which u will get (512+89) = 601 and (62^2+7.4^2) =3898.76..now u can convert it into miles mean = 5/8 of 601= 375.63 and s.d = (5/8)^2*3898.76=1522.95
5)iii) i sud say dorry for dis.no idea for it

Reaction score

M/J 2010 P 71:

M/J 2011 P 71:
for mj 11 p71,
2)b)again sorry for dis..
3)ii) we hab to test with z value of 5%significance level to know the rejection of acceptance of Hp..
At 5% signi. level,
z=1.645
Given test stat, z=1.786..
Hence, reject Ho coz 1.786> 1.645..

Reaction score
for mj 11 p71,
2)b)again sorry for dis..
3)ii) we hab to test with z value of 5%significance level to know the rejection of acceptance of Hp..
At 5% signi. level,
z=1.645
Given test stat, z=1.786..
Hence, reject Ho coz 1.786> 1.645..
gudboy01, thank you so for your help in both questions :)

Reaction score
gudboy01, thank you so for your help in both questions :)
so much*

I also have one more question, if you could please explain,
M/J 2011 p73
Q2 part i) Firstly, isn't the approximation from binomial to normal taken as (n*p, n*p*(1-p))? The examiner report states that it is (p, [p*(1-p)]/n). Please clarify this.
and secondly, from the question, I concluded that it is one-tailed, as the question mentions bars of soap being undersized, however, the z value used in the MS was for a two-tailed test ( 1.645 was used, not 1.282 for the 90% C.I.) :/

and in questions like Q3 part i), i don't know which proportions to use in my binomial calculation ( in this case 0.15 and 0.85 were the original proportions, but i used 2/30 and 28/30 )