• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

psychology, biology and history

Reaction score
are these a good combination? i'm planning to go on to medical and i know generally you're supposed to take bio,chemistry and physics but i got E's in my o levels for chem and physics so i'd rather not try them again.
but anyway, i'm a private student and don't take tuitions so i don't really have a guide or someone whose opinion i can ask about it.
feel free to not be discouraging though.

Reaction score
If you're pursuing your medical career in Pakistan, Chemistry is a must. Plus something like Physics or Mathematics. You stand no chance, without this combination. For subjects like Psychology, there's no value in here.
But if you're going abroad, then its prolly fine. They usually do accept all sorts of awkward combinations.

Reaction score
it depends on what career you are aiming. which subjects you like to study and what are the market trends these days. In which country and universities you want to apply and their selection criteria should be kept in mind before choosing subjects.

for medical in Pakistan you need physics, chem and bio. if you want to study abroad and choose a medical related field like bioinformatics or bio engineering then you can go on with your present combination.

Reaction score
well, i had a tutor who was a doctor, and he'd taken biology and literature (and one other i can't remember) and he studied from city school too so i just figured it wouldn't be that much of a problem?

Reaction score
If you can't get O levels in them, you shouldn't be doing medicine. Psychology is a bullshit subject (by good universities).

Nevertheless, students who take medicine usually get straight A's and A*'s at GCSE/IGCSE/O-Level. I don't think you'll get into a medical school which is actually recognised outside of your country; unless you get straight A's in Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry as well as being predicted straight A*'s at A2 by your teachers to compensate for your poor O-Level performance. Even so, most successful medical student get straight A's at AS and are predicted 3/4 A*'s at A-Level so I'd say your chances at what I would call a "good" medical school are very slim.

Reaction score
gee, way to be encouraging assface. i didn't get o levels in them cos i'd just moved from abroad a few months before exams and didn't have time to prepare? and was an A* student throughout my academic life before that, so it's not really like i can't get good grades in them.
you sound like those aunties whose kids are doctors and who thinks that anyone who isn't a doctor or an engineer is wasting their life.
thanks for your input.
(but not really)

Reaction score
your alevel equivlance counts your olevel subjects as well (8 olevels + 3 alevels phy,chem,bio) total marks 1100
olevel equivalnce is 800 for 8 subjects eng,urdu,pakst,isl,math,phy,chem,bio

mcat is 50%
olevel quiv 10%
alevel equiv 40%

so olevel subs count both in o and alevel equivalence (i know it doesnt make sense to count olevel subs for alevel equivalence but they do, i have seen it myself)

since ur a private student repeat your olevels and then give alevels
get a good academy maybe llc in cannt