• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P5 in 5 minutes !!!

Reaction score
Cross sectional area of the coil is to measured. And you can vary it by changing the radius of the coil and keeping the number of turns same.

hey i dont get why they have kept current as the controlled variable as well. Like how will current vary emf. Isnt emf= BAN/T. So why did they also keep current constant. This is the problem im having with magnetic field questions.

Reaction score
light gates measure timings for a object to fall a particular distance..u have a light source on one end and a timer on the opposite, when a ball falls between them the light gets obstructed and the sensor on the other side no longer detects any light ( at this time ball is right infront of the timer), the timer starts,,,,having another such thing below this set up at a fixed distance h starts this second timer and the difference in readings from the first and second will be the time measured but u dont need to explain all of this in the procedure just say measure timings through light gates

for an electromagnet u OPEN the switch nd electromagnet no longer retains its magnetism letting go of ball..
im attaching a file, but remember in this case the ball is to be dropped from surface of oil to avoid a splash (a safety)View attachment 27967
a simple setup is in oct 2009 paper 52

wow this is awesome diagram. Can u also tell me about the use of fudicial markers and when to talk about them in questions. Cause i dont mention them in some questions but in mark scheme they are written and marks get deducted. Thanku :)

Reaction score
wow this is awesome diagram. Can u also tell me about the use of fudicial markers and when to talk about them in questions. Cause i dont mention them in some questions but in mark scheme they are written and marks get deducted. Thanku :)
they r used as ref. points sometimes for greater ease of measuring something like in this oil exp. the distance between the rubber bands that act as fiducial markers is the distance fallen and u have to start timer when the ball crosses the first band...thats how u calculate velocity with their help, fiducial markers can also be a simple retort stand or a white screen
its better if u give an example, so i get what ure asking

Reaction score
can additional details be at last part of the answer after the analysis has been written about plotting of the graph. If we write them at the last or include them in the analysis or method of data collection they will still be counted right as additional details and marks will be given for those points out of 4 right??any1

Reaction score
Reaction score
they r used as ref. points sometimes for greater ease of measuring something like in this oil exp. the distance between the rubber bands that act as fiducial markers is the distance fallen and u have to start timer when the ball crosses the first band...thats how u calculate velocity with their help, fiducial markers can also be a simple retort stand or a white screen
its better if u give an example, so i get what ure asking

in the oil question i wrote that temperature has to be controlled as well, so should i write it is to be controlled by using a thermostatically controlled water bath and draw the water bath in which the container of oil is kept. Cause in additional details it says that 1 mark for writing an additional variable. So can i write like this or should i just mention temperature as the variable? Cause the other variable i talked about was to keep the distance constant that the ball was falling. And i said i would use fudicial markers to keep distance constant. Hope u get my question :)

Reaction score
in the oil question i wrote that temperature has to be controlled as well, so should i write it is to be controlled by using a thermostatically controlled water bath and draw the water bath in which the container of oil is kept. Cause in additional details it says that 1 mark for writing an additional variable. So can i write like this or should i just mention temperature as the variable? Cause the other variable i talked about was to keep the distance constant that the ball was falling. And i said i would use fudicial markers to keep distance constant. Hope u get my question :)
no u dont need to show it....also one constant variable can be the density of oil but sometimes my teacher does show a way for ensuring constant temp like in the window pane question he showed a thermocouple in the set up to ensure constant temp

Reaction score
yes u totally right in saying the fiducial markers keep dis constant

Reaction score
no u dont need to show it....also one constant variable can be the density of oil but sometimes my teacher does show a way for ensuring constant temp like in the window pane question he showed a thermocouple in the set up to ensure constant temp

Ok but if i do write the reason then will i get negative marks for it and if i draw the water bath in the diagram will they deduct a mark for it or ignore it?

Reaction score
can additional details be at last part of the answer after the analysis has been written about plotting of the graph. If we write them at the last or include them in the analysis or method of data collection they will still be counted right as additional details and marks will be given for those points out of 4 right??any1
U should right in different paragraphs but dont mention the parts of the question then the examiner might credit u of the other points not sure though

Reaction score
Ok but if i do write the reason then will i get negative marks for it and if i draw the water bath in the diagram will they deduct a mark for it or ignore it?
It depends on the examiner and it is better to state the constant in the paragraph although the examiner might credit the diagram.Why take a chance.