• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Era

Reaction score
Okay.. You need to understnd this concept calmly... U must be knowing about electromagnetic induction.. Whenevr u move a conducting wire inside a magnetic field, or when you move a bar magnet near a solenoid (coil of wire)... A voltage is induced in the wire.. that creates a current... So its important that sumthng shud b movin... Because there needs to be some movement energy that can be converted to electrical energy...
Transformerrs work on the principle of mutual induction... An ac current in the primary coil, creates a magnetic field that is continuously CHANGING, this CHANGING magnetic field is the cut by the wire of the secondary coil, in the transformer.... So again an ac voltage is induced and and an ac current flows there...
Therefore they cant work on dc cos there is no variation in the magnetic field so no magnetic field lines cut the secondary coil...
Now... if there are more number of turns in the secondary coil.. the same field will be able to cut more wire in the same time... Thats why, if secondary coil has more turns , then the voltage is increased... The opposite happens when the number of coils are less... And i dnt think its necessary fr the coil to b insulated...
Huh.!!! Typing is tedious..!!:(
thank u tonnes!! i am very thankful to ya! it really cleared my doubts! and yeah typing is tedious :p

Reaction score
Hey guys would be awesome if u could help me out here

Winter 2011 multichoice question 33...don't get it

Reaction score
Hey i got that too!
yeah but.. I got the answer as 7.5% non recurring. Many of my other friends got 16.33 recurring as some of you said earlier...but remember in the question it was given that. The area of 1 solar panel is 8m^2 so the total area of Both solar panels is 16m^2. The diagram showed 2 solar panels. Also, in part (a) they asked us to find the total energy input provided by the sun for BOTH panels. So calculating energy output of 1 solar panel/ total input of both X100 will give u a wrong answer....

That's what I think...however I'm not sure(I don't remember) if it was written that the total area is 8m or one solar panel is 8m so if I'm wrong then yeah..I guess 16.3 is correct

Reaction score
yeah but.. I got the answer as 7.5% non recurring. Many of my other friends got 16.33 recurring as some of you said earlier...but remember in the question it was given that. The area of 1 solar panel is 8m^2 so the total area of Both solar panels is 16m^2. The diagram showed 2 solar panels. Also, in part (a) they asked us to find the total energy input provided by the sun for BOTH panels. So calculating energy output of 1 solar panel/ total input of both X100 will give u a wrong answer....

That's what I think...however I'm not sure(I don't remember) if it was written that the total area is 8m or one solar panel is 8m so if I'm wrong then yeah..I guess 16.3 is correct
Anyways... what did u write for the last question?? Switch 1 and Switch 2?

Reaction score
maybe........
let's wait for the ms...
i wrote that because
closed switch will be on(obvio)
open switch will be off.........
i dont know whats the correct answer....
everyone is getting different answer!!!!!!

Reaction score
i guess its supposed to be ON OFF and OFF OFF according to my physics teacher..
That was a trick question...the answer was only relates to switch S1...if it was open then both lamps are off...if closed then both are on...so the answer was OFF OFF and ON ON