• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths Mechanics M1 HELP!

Reaction score
Please look at question number 4 in the paper in the attached file.
Capture.JPG
For part one, you can find X by resolving horizontally so 40cos60=xsin30
My question is, why can you not get the correct answer by resolving vertically?

The body is in equilibrium, so shouldn't all (vertical and horizontal) components result to zero?
In this case, the vertical components do not result to zero... why not?
Please help!

Reaction score
Please look at question number 4 in the paper in the attached file.
View attachment 51586
For part one, you can find X by resolving horizontally so 40cos60=xsin30
My question is, why can you not get the correct answer by resolving vertically?

The body is in equilibrium, so shouldn't all (vertical and horizontal) components result to zero?
In this case, the vertical components do not result to zero... why not?
Please help!

hi
when u use the vertical method u have to take the normal reaction force into consideration so it will be R+40sin(60)+Xsin(30)=150 where 150 is the weight of the block.
this method is harder as u have to unknown values the normal reaction force and X so i prefer doing it with the horizontal method cuz u have only one unkown value which is X.
If u did not understand i can repeat it for u.

Reaction score
hi
when u use the vertical method u have to take the normal reaction force into consideration so it will be R+40sin(60)+Xsin(30)=150 where 150 is the weight of the block.
this method is harder as u have to unknown values the normal reaction force and X so i prefer doing it with the horizontal method cuz u have only one unkown value which is X.
If u did not understand i can repeat it for u.
Oh i see! I was just assuming R to be equal to weight and somehow just ignoring it! :p
Thankyou sooo much! :)