• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Ooooooh cant believe the paper was soo good :D
But that last page was not good :(
overall it was awesome .. thanks peoples for helping (y)

Reaction score
The 2011 papers was pretty easy but you could get an A* if you lost 20-30 marks IN TOTAL, combining the marks for paper 2 and 4. I think for Paper 2 of this year, losing 15 marks or less would get you an A? You need an A for Paper 4 too to get an A*. My guess is based from my observations at the centre I was in and it differs from centre to centre.

Reaction score
The 2011 papers was pretty easy but you could get an A* if you lost 20-30 marks IN TOTAL, combining the marks for paper 2 and 4. I think for Paper 2 of this year, losing 15 marks or less would get you an A? You need an A for Paper 4 too to get an A*. My guess is based from my observations at the centre I was in and it differs from centre to centre.
:O... Ok, now a got a new question: If get an A in Paper 2, and an A in Paper 4, does that mean I get an A*? or does it depend on how many grades I lost?

Reaction score
By grades you mean marks right?
Well..logically, the less marks you lose, the more chance you have of getting an A*
But right now, you don't know whether you are gonna get an A in both papers or not.
So getting an A* means you gotta get an A in both papers, means getting really good marks in both papers :D
This is also where luck comes in :p
Damn it, why are math papers getting easier every year?

Reaction score
Well..logically, the less marks you lose, the more chance you have of getting an A*
But right now, you don't know whether you are gonna get an A in both papers or not.
So getting an A* means you gotta get an A in both papers, means getting really good marks in both papers :D
So getting an A* depends on my MARKS, not my GRADES IN BOTH PAPERS, right or did I misunderstand?

Reaction score
For the 2011 winter session, the A* was at 188/200...losing 12 marks in total...well...the CIE people are real smart people..

Reaction score
WHY US? why cant they give hard exams...like in 1990s? :(

Reaction score
Don't your grades depend on your marks? But yes, your right. Now I gotta stop obsessing over Math and go revise Islamiat.

Reaction score
WHY US? why cant they give hard exams...like in 1990s? :(
Ahhh you see, the oldy examiners want less people to get A*'s so they increased the percentile. WHY US? Cuz we get smarter and we have more resources to study from as time passes. To make it challenging and exam-worthy, they made their exams harder too...

Reaction score
Well For the Question concerning the Transformation , I got a shear with y axis invarient and scale factor of 2
(1 0)
(2 1) , I multiplied all the points by this matrice and i got the same exact points for the Image(shear) so i dont know why some people are saying X-axis is invarient.

Reaction score
For paper 4 , All you have to concentrate in is numbers which is always the first page (A lot of people make mistakes without knowing) , Area just simply practice it , The chapter concerning frequency density and cumulative frequency and we can not forget the probability (also alot of people make mistakes in it ) ,Finally Sequence (It's not very difficult but it requires a relaxed brain because after many tries you seem to give up when the answer is just laying in your mind). Good luck everyone :D and there is no need to make a fuss about this paper 2 it's already over what's done is done .
P.S tomorrow i have my islamiyat and i just opened the book today (i really had no time for it anyway's wish me luck am going to kill this )