• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ICT Paper 1 help needed

Reaction score
can any1 help me with these questions pls:
1. describe mailmerge.
2. explain digit check.
3. what is the difference between WiFi and WLAN?
4. what is a digital certificate?
5. whats meant by dongle?
6. whats the difference between online processing and real-time processing?
7. what r hot spots (in websites)?
8. whats meant by transaction file and master file?
thnx in advance :)

Reaction score
1. Mail merge is a software function which allows to create multiple documents from a single template form and a structured data source.
2. Digit Check or Check Digit means a form of redundancy check used for error detection, the decimal equivalent of a binary checksum. It consists of a single digit computed from the other digits in the message.
3. WiFi is a certification used to denote any wireless equipment that meets a minimum set of standards for interoperability. So if you buy a wireless router that is WiFi certified, and a wireless NIC that is WiFi certified and WLAN stands for Wide Local Area Network which includes a network between MANY computers like in a whole city.
4. A digital certificate is an electronic "credit card" that establishes your credentials when doing business or other transactions on the Web. It is issued by a certification authority (CA). It contains your name, a serial number, expiration dates, a copy of the certificate holder's public key (used for encrypting messages and digital signatures), and the digital signature of the certificate-issuing authority
5. Dongle is a small piece of hardware that connects to a laptop, desktop or server computer. Examples for Dongle : Serial Ports, USB Flash Drives, Wireless Networking Devices.
6. Real time processing occurs immediately the function is sent to action.
Online processing is set in queue and can take overnight to process. In most cases online processing is like this web page. Information typed in and it take minutes to go through the up load and populating process.
7. Sorry i dont know the answer for this one :( (Ask your ICT teacher)
8. Master File: It contains records of permanent data types. Master files are created at the time when you install your business. if you wish to convert your company into computerized one you need to create master file which can be created by using your manual file folder and keying data into storage devices.
Transaction File : It contains data which is used to update the records of master file.

Reaction score
thnx soo much :) ,,
but about the mail merge i understand that its used 2 create multiple messages but i dont understand how..

Reaction score
Here i hope this helps...:) :D :beer:
1.mail merge is the process of sending the same letter to a number of addresses which can be achieved by using a word processor.
2.Digit Check should be the check digit,which is used to check if the bar code has been correctly read thru or scanned.
3.You can actualy say Wi-Fi- is actually an example of WLAN or Wi-Fi runs using the concept of WLAN.
4.An attachment to an electronic message used for security purposes. The most common use of a digital certificate is to verify that a user sending a message is who he or she claims to be, and to provide the receiver with the means to encode a reply.

An individual wishing to send an encrypted message applies for a digital certificate from a Certificate Authority (CA). The CA issues an encrypted digital certificate containing the applicant's public key and a variety of other identification information. The CA makes its own public key readily available through print publicity or perhaps on the Internet.

The recipient of an encrypted message uses the CA's public key to decode the digital certificate attached to the message, verifies it as issued by the CA and then obtains the sender's public key and identification information held within the certificate. With this information, the recipient can send an encrypted reply. i got this from webopedia. very similar to encryption.

5. Dongles are devices where the softwares can be encrypted and kept in order to prevent problems of s/w piracy.

6.online and real time processing are the same.

7.hot spots are the links that you see in a websites.Those words seen as underlined words which are blue in color.
8.Master file:it contains records of permanent data types.master files are created at the time when you install yopur business. if you wish to convert your company into computerised one you need to create master file which can be created by using your manual file folder and keying data onto storage devices for example the name of coustomer ,dob,gender etc these are permanent data types

Transaction file: It contains data which is used to update the records of master file for example address of the costumer etc

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalam-o-alaikum!

juss to add on the 6th point that, online and real time processing are not the same :)

Real time processing is:
When a computer responds immediately to an event
Example: Computer control traffic lights, Robots, Process control in industry, Flight simulators

------

An on-line system is in which data is processed very shortly after the transaction occurs
Example: ATM, Reservation and flight bookings e.t.c.

Hope it helped :D xX

Reaction score
^^^ is 100% correct but i just want to add that in the marking scheme of june 2011 ( i cant remember which variant :oops: )
it was mentioned that real time processing is an example of online processing... hope i helped
and gud luck in ur exams :good:

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
yeah it is an example of real time but actually like if they ask you to tick themm separately, i mean if the description is given, and it is asked whether is it real time, online or batch...in that you will have to tick the correct one :) like you should know the difference between them, but i dont think so they will ask like that :s
btw such question came in the pass papers but i cant remember the year :$ x

Reaction score
XPFMember said:
yeah it is an example of real time but actually like if they ask you to tick themm separately, i mean if the description is given, and it is asked whether is it real time, online or batch...in that you will have to tick the correct one :) like you should know the difference between them, but i dont think so they will ask like that :s
btw such question came in the pass papers but i cant remember the year :$ x

yeah i think i solved it :D
anyways gud luck may Allah help us all in our exams and especially this one :cry: