• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Maths discussion

Reaction score
Hey guys,
to those who sat for Further Maths (especially variant 2)
How was your papers?
What do you think will be the threshold?

Reaction score
Hey! Haha I did, the papers were okay. They were do-able, only a few questions needed extra attention. I'm guessing it should be around 80? What do you think? I'm not very good in estimating the GT ><

Reaction score
I meant GT for the syllabus. I hope it will be lower than usual, like 180 for A*.
Do you think it can be so low? I suppose the mechanics questions were not very easy this time(although paper 1 wasn't difficult)

Reaction score
Oh, my bad. It could go to 180, hard to say sometimes. I didn't like the second question on moment of inertia. The other mechanics questions were not that nasty, since a lot were proving questions.

Reaction score
Variant 2. I'm expecting either an A or A*, I know I lost about 6 marks. Hopefully I did not make any mistakes for the other questions. And you? :)

Reaction score
Wow... and you are in doubt whether you get A or A*? =) It must be A* then. well =) I feel rather optimistic. lost overall about 15 marks, hope to get A* =)
Had the same variant. Did some mistakes in the last question in paper 1, and wrongly selected the test characteristic in some question in paper 2...

Reaction score
Further maths bros and sises please help me. If I want to take further maths, will it be beter if I give full a level maths in my first year? If I do so, can I complete full Fmath in 2nd year? I live in a city where there are no xperienced teachers. My cousin is an electrical engineer, can he teach me fmath? Please help. Recommend sum gud books and give me tips to achieve a* through mainly self study. I will be realy grateful if u guys help me. Thanx in advance.

Reaction score
In fact, it depends only on your motivation. It is possible even to complete everything in 1 year.
My suggested books for statistics is "Understanding Statistics" by Graham Upton. Great book.
Didn't use any others for pure and mechanics, so have no info about that)

Reaction score
My plan is to complete maths AS and A2 in my 1st year. I am currently studying maths only. I will start fmath in my 2nd year after I m done wid maths. I m doing dis coz i heard fmath requires knowledge of all maths components. Is it a gud plan? What did u guys do? Can I finish the fmath sylabus in 1 year if I complete maths? * note: i will get minimum help from a very inxperienced teacher. Thanks guys. Sory to interupt ur discusion.

Reaction score
Well, I could have made some other mistakes I never realised I did, so I don't want to be too confident. You stand a chance for an A*, just keep your fingers crossed ^^ All the best!

Reaction score
Well, I could have made some other mistakes I never realised I did, so I don't want to be too confident. You stand a chance for an A*, just keep your fingers crossed ^^ All the best!
All the best to you as well =) Hope we both will get A*s

My plan is to complete maths AS and A2 in my 1st year. I am currently studying maths only. I will start fmath in my 2nd year after I m done wid maths. I m doing dis coz i heard fmath requires knowledge of all maths components. Is it a gud plan? What did u guys do? Can I finish the fmath sylabus in 1 year if I complete maths? * note: i will get minimum help from a very inxperienced teacher. Thanks guys. Sory to interupt ur discusion.
I suppose it is rather good plan. Take into account that you should know all the content on A-level maths in order to continue on with fmath (i mean, not only S1 and M1, but S2 and M2 as well). Find some books for mechanics and pure maths. I heard "introducing mechanics" and something like "further mechanics" are good books.. as for pure, I don't know well =)

Reaction score
In maths i took m1 and s1. Doing 6 components in 1 yr is just 2 much, whats ur opinion? Will it be wise if I leave m2 nd s2 for 2nd yr?

Reaction score
You don't have to take M2 and S2 in order to get A level subject "Maths".
I meant that you should know the content of M2 and S2 even though you don't take them (in order to continue with fmath)

Reaction score
x
I know that. I meant to ask u when shud i study m2 and s2, in my 1st yr or 2nd yr?

heY. I would say try fitting in the two modules during the first year. But this will, however, depend on your current and future workloads. The most important thing is to plan, plan and plan!

Reaction score
I think I will get around 92% maybe slightly lower if I made arithmetic errors. Hopefully the gradethreshold will be a bit lower, but I doubt...

Reaction score
How did u guys deal wid da subject? Did u give maths As and A2 in first year? Did u study m2 and s2 in first year together wid other maths components? Share ur xperience here. Sory for the interuption.