• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

english

Reaction score
whats the key to score good marks in paper 1
worried how to prepare

Reaction score
1. good essential grammar
2. use of phrases idioms in +ve way
3. precise sentences
4. model length
you must peep through Cambridge English revision guide to have all such keys

Reaction score
First of all, always check your grammar and spelling. It's half a mark for each mistake. If this is a weak area, try to practice with a good workbook or on the internet. Also, do not use contractions or American spellings... ever.

Second, have at least 1 metaphor AND simile in every composition you write, YOU DO GET MARKS FOR CORRECT USE OF METAPHORS AND SIMILES. Idioms and phrases can help too but personally I never use them and get respectable marks(in my final exam atleast, not CIE).

Third, try to have good, clear and meaningful sentences. Having big words does not earn you marks so much as having the right word. If your words are truly effective at conveying your meaning precisely and to the point, you get marks for vocabulary, and not just by using big words, like most people think.

Fourth, it helps if you have a sound knowledge and repository of opinion to express about things. This does not ONLY mean you've got to read a lot, but rather have a lot of things you feel comfortable writing about. i.e. I wrote an essay on "how a small fire went out of control" by reproducing word for word an interesting NatGeo program I'd watched the other day and got 23/25 marks on it.

Fifth, plan whatever you're going to write. Try to have the beginning and the end worked out for whatever you're writing beforehand. You can fill out the middle to lead upto the end. If you do not have a planned ending, chances are that your essay will be too long or too short or lacking in substance or that you'll simply get stuck thinking. This applies to Q/A as well.

Well, good luck.

Reaction score
For composition. Go for narrative as a first choice, thats what the majority of the people choose, and yields the majority of A's as well. Firstly, select your topic, spend 5-8 minutes planning your topic even if it takes 10-12. A plan may look like this. (You can use the end of you answer booklet, entitle it as rough plan and make your plan in pencil, the examiner won't then bother about it).

Introduction (use a short sentence, a dialogue, or a rhetorical question) this will add an eye-catching effect immediately to the examiner.
Keep it brief.

1- Introduction
2-Exposition
3-Conflict
4-Climax
5-Resolution

Don't use more than 6 paragraphs. And at the end don't bother about counting the words and writing them down, examiners don't want that.

Use a varied sentence structure which means that you don't start every sentence in a similar manner. This creates monotony and the reader gets bored. And more importantly you lose on an assessment objective.

Punctuate accurately, paragraphs must show link with the previous ones.

For Directed writing.

Don't use more than 4 paragraphs, strictly speaking on this.

Bullet points should be well developed. Allocate how many bullet points you will deal with in each paragraph. At least one in each.

Use a tone that is appropriate to the task. So, a formal letter must not contain, "How are you sir? How's your family" talk in a polite and to the point way. Similarly, don't be too harsh. "Sir you better do it or else ..." So, here another assessment objective is covered.

Reaction score
zohaib bhai can i get the accounts, english, economics, and business studies guess paper

Reaction score
I want to know what to do with the paragraphs.The marking scheme says:Paragraphs have unity, are linked, and show evidence of planning.
How to make sure I follow this pattern.Any suggestions would be helpful

Reaction score
Paper 1 can be nerve-wracking, but it is pretty general. You need to have a wide range of vocabulary and knowledge of synonymous words. You don't really need flowery and heavy words, just a broad selection of appropriate adjectives. Avoid using the same words all the time; this will bore the reader. For e.g. to add ideas, rather than using "also" every single time, you can use "Additionally", "furthermore" , "Apart from" and "Moreover." When comparing and contrasting, instead of using "on the other hand" or "in comparison " in all times, use "on contrary", "Likewise", "In spite" etc. I hope you are getting the idea. Using metaphors and similes is important, especially in Descriptive compositions. Try making creative similes and metaphors suitable to the situation yourselves as well, this will impress the examiners. Your sentence structure should be a bit advanced. The unity of paragraphs mean that your writing has a good flow; they are related to each other and the following paragraph guides the reader smoothly from one thought to another. Always PLAN in creative writing if you want your paragraphs linked and 'united.' Planning for directed writing isn't really necessary as you're given the bullets, only mind-map thoroughly what to include under each point. Don't write too lengthy introductions or conclusions. Try sticking a bit to the word limit. Read novels, newspaper articles etc. to get general knowledge and inspiration; highlight any expressions of the writer that you like and try to remember them and use them in your own way.

Reaction score
There is a word limit in every composition. Ordinarily we write 5-6 paragraphs and then become confuse about how many words we have written.
Please tell me what is the correct way to count the words written...

Reaction score
There is a word limit in every composition. Ordinarily we write 5-6 paragraphs and then become confuse about how many words we have written.
Please tell me what is the correct way to count the words written...

Don't count it by counting all words; this will waste time. The number of words that are advised to be followed are not so hard and fast; just approximate is fine. Count the number of words you write in 1-3 lines. Then take an average of them for one line and divide the number of words allowed by it, and then you will come to know how many lines should you write. For e.g. my first line has 12 words, the second line has 10, and the third line has 10, I'll take 11 words per line as the average and divide it by 500 (considering I am allowed upto 500 words). Rounding the figure, I get 45 lines, so my essay will be of 45 lines (excluding the lines left for paragraphing)

Reaction score
ok thanks...

nd in papr 2 summary writting it is said to write 160 words... so we have to write exact 160 words..?? i count the words of second and first line ... bt now i will take out average of 3 liness..
bt my teachr counts 160 words only ... nd then cut my marks on additional....
so what sholud i do??? will examiner in cie will also count the words one by one???