• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Literature

Reaction score
Salam to all Literature students.

I wanted to know whether I can do well in A-Level Literature if I haven't done an O-Level in it. I do have an A* in O-Level English Language. Can I study Literature? Is there some stuff like books etc. that I should read beforehand to be ready for A-Level?

All help appreciated.

Reaction score
I want to ask the very same question, so can some literature student please answer this? Though I did study english literature till class 7 so I have whats it about but I didn't continue in O'levels.

Reaction score
umm i m a literature student...........i had lit in O levels n am doing it in Alevels too.......i think it will be a bit tough for you........because a lot of experience is needed frm O levels............even after tking it in O levels, i face loads of probs!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
umm i m a literature student...........i had lit in O levels n am doing it in Alevels too.......i think it will be a bit tough for you........because a lot of experience is needed frm O levels............even after tking it in O levels, i face loads of probs!!!!!!!!!

With English, You need a bit of natural ability. Ability to analyze. I never studied O level English (I didn't do O Levels) and I managed to get an A in AS English Literature last year. So I highly doubt you need anything from O levels to apply in A level English Literature.

Reaction score
That's what I don't get. And I'm too scared to ask my teacher, she's really scary.
Analyze what? The texts obviously but how? Like say how good or bad the author has written it or what?

Reaction score
Salam to all Literature students.

I wanted to know whether I can do well in A-Level Literature if I haven't done an O-Level in it. I do have an A* in O-Level English Language. Can I study Literature? Is there some stuff like books etc. that I should read beforehand to be ready for A-Level?

All help appreciated.
I think, It is not really necessary. Just start studying the syllabus and focus on analyzing the texts effectively. You need to fully understand the texts, prepare your own ideas relevant to the texts and convey them appropriately.

Reaction score
With English, You need a bit of natural ability. Ability to analyze. I never studied O level English (I didn't do O Levels) and I managed to get an A in AS English Literature last year. So I highly doubt you need anything from O levels to apply in A level English Literature.
i didnt judge any1s ability ...i was simply stating my point of view!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Thats good. But my main concern is, will this be an extra burden on me with 4 sciences? I'm doing Chem, phy, bio and maths and I want to study literature too. What do you recommend should I take it?

Reaction score
Thats good. But my main concern is, will this be an extra burden on me with 4 sciences? I'm doing Chem, phy, bio and maths and I want to study literature too. What do you recommend should I take it?
My teacher says Literature requires considerable time and hard work. If you can manage your 4 subjects with Literature, then go ahead. But remember it involves reading novels, plays, poems etc. But so far, I believe, as long as you can analyze well, you should be fine.

Reaction score

With these five subject choices, you'll have to be VERY careful with your time. DO not waste time. Do not fall behind with any of the subjects. Start doing past papers early. I chose the exact same subjects in my AS so PM me if you need any help. It's definitely a good set of choices, keeps you nice and open to most university courses out there.

That's what I don't get. And I'm too scared to ask my teacher, she's really scary.
Analyze what? The texts obviously but how? Like say how good or bad the author has written it or what?

While reading the text, just make sure you understand the plot well. Use sparknotes to read up on the themes, motifs or any recurring images that you could be tested on. And then, while you are reading the novel you'll see these themes and how they develop and pan out. With analysis, you have to understand the text well. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see the underlying themes better. Hope that helped you out.

Reaction score
With these five subject choices, you'll have to be VERY careful with your time. DO not waste time. Do not fall behind with any of the subjects. Start doing past papers early. I chose the exact same subjects in my AS so PM me if you need any help. It's definitely a good set of choices, keeps you nice and open to most university courses out there.

While reading the text, just make sure you understand the plot well. Use sparknotes to read up on the themes, motifs or any recurring images that you could be tested on. And then, while you are reading the novel you'll see these themes and how they develop and pan out. With analysis, you have to understand the text well. Once you've done that, you'll be able to see the underlying themes better. Hope that helped you out.

Well thats a bit inspiring. What were your grades in As? And where did you do your A levels from? Plus, I have been offered an option whether to give a combined exam of A levels or divide it in As and A2. What do you recommend and why?

Reaction score
Well thats a bit inspiring. What were your grades in As? And where did you do your A levels from? Plus, I have been offered an option whether to give a combined exam of A levels or divide it in As and A2. What do you recommend and why?

I'd do them seperately. It's easier. But it also depends on your ability. If you can cope with a heavy workload, then go for it.I personally wouldn't be able to cope with so much work everyday but that's just me.

My grades in AS were: 3 As, 1 B and 1 Cs. Oh and i'm from New Zealand if that's what you are asking?

Reaction score
I'd do them seperately. It's easier. But it also depends on your ability. If you can cope with a heavy workload, then go for it.I personally wouldn't be able to cope with so much work everyday but that's just me.

My grades in AS were: 3 As, 1 B and 1 Cs. Oh and i'm from New Zealand if that's what you are asking?
No actually I thought you were from Pak so I wanted to know which college were you doing it from......but still it works. And thanks for the help really appreciate it. Good luck for your studies :)