• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ECAT and MCAT Preparation: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
You can try your method (expansion of determinant), it'll give the same answer (zero), but it'll take way more time. And in Entry tests you don't have much time to expand the determinant and then find the answer.
And Operations on Rows and columns method is easier plus it wouldn't take more than half a minute.
brother cn u tell any site where this method u used is explained

Reaction score
Lol i'm a girl :p
anyway http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/DeterminantByRowReduction.aspx
Try this link out.
but in this link they simplify the determinant by row and column operations and then expand as you've learned. What i did was make one whole row equal to zero. Whenever a whole row or column in a determinant is zero, or if two rows or columns become exactly equal, the determinant becomes zero. But keep in mind that if no row or column can be made zero completely by row and column operations, the best you can do is simplify the determinant by these operations, and when the determinant is simplified enough, expand it(your method), as is explained in the link.

Reaction score
Lol i'm a girl :p
anyway http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/LinAlg/DeterminantByRowReduction.aspx
Try this link out.
but in this link they simplify the determinant by row and column operations and then expand as you've learned. What i did was make one whole row equal to zero. Whenever a whole row or column in a determinant is zero, or if two rows or columns become exactly equal, the determinant becomes zero. But keep in mind that if no row or column can be made zero completely by row and column operations, the best you can do is simplify the determinant by these operations, and when the determinant is simplified enough, expand it(your method), as is explained in the link.
DID U took frther mathematics??...anywayx thanx.......fsc book1 set language is too weird.......i m scared

Reaction score
Or if that's confusing you, open up page 105 of Fsc part 1 mathematics book. The properties are listed there.

Reaction score
welll i ll ask u a lot of questions then....dont leave this thread

Reaction score
guys how to prepare for the test??? A lot of people whom I talked to are saying that study from the ECAT book available in the market. But there are books from lot of publishers such as faridi, dogar brothers etc. so which publishers book do u guys recommend??? Please give me some advice it will be appreciated a lot.

Reaction score
Yes, i got Dogars ystrday frm urdu bazaar, they say its the highest selling!

Reaction score
assalam O alaikum.... i too wil 4rm now contribute here....(wil only ask) lol
fsc chemistry is really destructive.... :confused:
physics is good...:LOL:
didnot seen maths yet..

special thanks to smz IMRan fr creating the thread...(y)

Reaction score
for everything like nust giki nts air uni,pieas....every damn engineering uni