• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Bio A2 paper 5

Reaction score
can any1 plz explain me da diference between dependant n independant variables?? thnx

Reaction score
The independent variable is the variable that is varied intentionally in order to see its effect on the dependent variable. When we plot graphs, the independent variable is on the x-axis while the dependent variable is plotted on the y-axis. For example if we're investigating the effect of carbon dioxide concentration on the rate of photosynthesis, the dependent variable would be the carbon dioxide conc. whereas the dependent would be the rate of photosynthesis. You'd vary the independent variable in this case by perhaps adding measured amounts of sodium hydrogencarbonate to water or something. You'd then measure the dependent variable by maybe measuring the initial rate of oxygen formation.

Reaction score
independent variable on the x-axis i.e. things u change/vary
dependent variable on y-axis i.e. varied BY the independtdt variable

Reaction score
The independent variable is the variable that is varied intentionally in order to see its effect on the dependent variable. When we plot graphs, the independent variable is on the x-axis while the dependent variable is plotted on the y-axis. For example if we're investigating the effect of carbon dioxide concentration on the rate of photosynthesis, the dependent variable would be the carbon dioxide conc. whereas the dependent would be the rate of photosynthesis. You'd vary the independent variable in this case by perhaps adding measured amounts of sodium hydrogencarbonate to water or something. You'd then measure the dependent variable by maybe measuring the initial rate of oxygen formation.
umm thnx but i didnt get which will be da dependant one in ur example...