• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What does OCR mean?

Reaction score
It is common to see, in the AS&A-level books as well as IGCSE textbooks, right following some of the practice questions, the label sign: (OCR). My teacher says that means the question is a model one for CIE examinations or at least of the same value as a CIE question.
But I still want to know what exactly OCR is, and what relations it has with CIE.

Reaction score
Well i m Computer Studies Student and their OCR is a device in a scanner and it stands for Optical Character Recognition. I don't know who it is linked with CIE!!

Reaction score
The attached picture below is scanned from the Pure Mathematics I textbook.
What I refer to are the "OCR"s at the right side of the page.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Assalamoalaikum!!
OCR is a board just as we have CIE...there's edexcel ..AQA ...and many others :)

has nthng to do with devices and scanner :p

Reaction score
Thanks Math_Angel. Is OCR on the similar knowledge level as CIE? Some of the CIE questions are said to be adapted from that of OCR exams.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
salmanpakrocks said:
Math_angel said:
Assalamoalaikum!!
OCR is a board just as we have CIE...there's edexcel ..AQA ...and many others :)

HERE CHECK IT OUT !!
Assalamoalaikum!!!

well i meant what dragoncub is saying has nthng to do with scanner and stuff...although i'm nt a computer student but i do now that there's such a thing!!! :cool:

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
DragonCub said:
Thanks Math_Angel. Is OCR on the similar knowledge level as CIE? Some of the CIE questions are said to be adapted from that of OCR exams.

Yeah since they are for same level and syllabuses are similar so they're gud to practice....just as IGCSE students practice O level questions....

Reaction score
Math_angel said:
salmanpakrocks said:
Math_angel said:
Assalamoalaikum!!

HERE CHECK IT OUT !!
Assalamoalaikum!!!

well i meant what dragoncub is saying has nthng to do with scanner and stuff...although i'm nt a computer student but i do now that there's such a thing!!! :cool:
hehehehehhe !! :D