• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IB?

Reaction score
What is IB? What is the difference between A Levels and IB? And which one is better? What is the Standard Level and High Level? I am totally new in this field, well I am planning to apply for IB, but I have a cope with A Levels also.. Please be king, humble and generous to give a required and satisfying reply :) :)

Reaction score
Hiya, the IB and A levels are a lot different when compared. If you take A-levels, you can take the subjects you really want to study and you get to concentrate on them whereas in IB, you take 6 subjects. 3 subjects are taken at HL and 3 at SL. The subjects are picked out of 6 groups. The HL subjects require more hours than the SL subjects and are generally more difficult. The IB generally focuses on developing the all round student. To study IB, you should know if you're someone who's generally good all-round. Also, in the IB, you have CAS to worry about which is 150 hours of Creativity, Action and Service and it is mandatory to complete these hours. The IB also requires you to take TOK ( Theory Of Knowledge ) and you also have to write the Extended Essay which is based on any of the subjects you have taken. The essay has to be submitted during the end of your second year of IB.
Overall, IB is a lot more work in my opinion but I guess how hard you work is up to the student.
Also, keep in mind where you plan to study after IB/A Levels. If you're heading towards say the UK, A levels would probably be the better choice whereas if you're headed for Canada or America, the IB would seemingly put you at a better place ( not saying that A Levels aren't accepted, they most certainly are. ) as they have a more holistic approach to students.
I was having a debate over the two and I've decided to go with IB, I start in September.

Sorry if I was unclear!

Reactions: Z.S
Reaction score
What is IB? What is the difference between A Levels and IB? And which one is better? What is the Standard Level and High Level? I am totally new in this field, well I am planning to apply for IB, but I have a cope with A Levels also.. Please be king, humble and generous to give a required and satisfying reply :) :)

A-Levels are much easier, but IB pays out in the end. It gives you university credit (you can skip some classes in university) if you do successfully in that respective subject in IB. Everything else I wanted to say is more or less mentioned in Moostafa's message :)

Reactions: Z.S
Reaction score
Moostafa thankyou very much, and all the best for IB :) I am well convinced
aalmuhannadi thankyou also! Well, I think in my hometown, there are more oppurtunities for A Levels than IB, so I will probably end up there. Thanks for the advice (y) It did surely help