• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

IB comparing to AS/Alevels or equivalent study

Reaction score
Salam/Hello Everyone!
I always wondered how is IB Comparing to A-levels, what is it all about?
is it harder/easier ? which is better?

Reaction score
A levels are more fixable. You do not have to complete both AS and A2 for all subjects. You can do some full A-Level (AS & A2) subjects and some ASs depending on what the university you aim to apply to requires. IB is good but the total of all the subjects' grades has to be high to have you total grade high.
I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I already answered a similar question so i'll just copy paste what I said :) -

The IB and A levels are a lot different when compared. If you take A-levels, you can take the subjects you really want to study and you get to concentrate on them whereas in IB, you take 6 subjects. 3 subjects are taken at HL and 3 at SL. The subjects are picked out of 6 groups. The HL subjects require more hours than the SL subjects and are generally more difficult. The IB generally focuses on developing the all round student. To study IB, you should know if you're someone who's generally good all-round. Also, in the IB, you have CAS to worry about which is 150 hours of Creativity, Action and Service and it is mandatory to complete these hours. The IB also requires you to take TOK ( Theory Of Knowledge ) and you also have to write the Extended Essay which is based on any of the subjects you have taken. The essay has to be submitted during the end of your second year of IB.
Overall, IB is a lot more work in my opinion but I guess how hard you work is up to the student.
Also, keep in mind where you plan to study after IB/A Levels. If you're heading towards say the UK, A levels would probably be the better choice whereas if you're headed for Canada or America, the IB would seemingly put you at a better place ( not saying that A Levels aren't accepted, they most certainly are. ) as they have a more holistic approach to students.