• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Extended Essay

Reaction score
Hi. :) I'm planning on doing IB next year, and I'm a bit concerned about the 4000 word Extended Essay I have to do over the course of the next two years. I'm planning on doing it on something outside my subject range - it's about the difference of Human Rights in an LEDC and an MEDC. Is that allowed, or do I have to do something to do with my subjects? I'd ideally like to study English at university, so is it recommended that I do an English-based essay? I'm completely clueless, and I'd just like some extra knowledge on the essay before my exams start and I start stressing out some more! Thank you to anyone who does reply.

x

Reaction score
Hi! The thing with your extended essay is you have to do it in a topic that's related to a subject area the IB offers- you don't have to be taking the subject that you write your EE in but it's generally recommended that you are. It's mostly because if you're already taking the subject, then you're likely to be familiar with the sort of terminology associated with that subject and the content e.t.c. It doesn't really matter if you write your EE in a subject you're planning to take up in university or not- most of the time, if the EE ends up being related to whatever you're hoping to study, it'll just be used as a point of discussion during your university interview or it could be something you talk about in your personal statement. For example, I'm hoping to study Medicine but I'm writing my EE in English!
I hope I helped :)