• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEMISTRY HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I have a solution containing carbonate and sulfate ions. The test for carbonate is adding a dilute acid such as HCl and carbondioxide will be liberated. The test for sulfate ions is adding acidified (using HCl) aqueous barium chloride and a white precipitate of barium sulfate will form.
I understand that we have to add the acid first so that all the carbonate is reacted. Is this because barium carbonate may precipitate if we used barium chloride first which will lead us to a wrong conclusion that sulfate is present? Also, if barium carbonate is formed, wont it react with the acid as well liberating carbondioxide, leaving barium sulfate behind? I know I will add the acid first anyway but what if the question asked for a reason.
I need somebody to precisely explain the significance of adding the acid first.
Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
okay I think I can help you! here it goes....ahm....ahm..blah blah blah blah nad blah but blah blah aswell as blah blah and then add blah blah and the result is BLaH!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry but im pretty weak in chem!!!! Cant help you but there are many others that can!

Reaction score
isnt the test for sulphate like add nitric acid and then barium nitrate man ? I think u wrote the test wrong !!

Reaction score
scouserlfc said:
isnt the test for sulphate like add nitric acid and then barium nitrate man ? I think u wrote the test wrong !!
No it is not wrong, u add nitric acid if u add barium nitrate but not when u add barium chloride u use HCl which was already used for the carbonate test. The type of salt is not important as long it is a barium salt because the sulphate will displace the anion in the salt forming barium sulfate which is the white precipitate u see.Even if u dont acidify the precipitate will still form but acidifying the anions help to remove impurities which may precipitate causing a false result. Inshallah I am 100% sure. :D
Wait a sec! I THINK I'VE JUST ANSWERED MY QUESTION :Yahoo!:

Reaction score
man well i helped u atleast get the answer,good going man hope u get an A* in CHem and others toooo !