• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

[WTA] Calculations for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Reaction score
Hi there guys! I'm Sean from Malaysia.
During my SPM (IGCSE O-Levels Equivalent)

Our Standard for Mathematical Calculations, most of our calculations are rounded off to 2 decimal places, unless the values are smaller than 2 decimal places we will consider 4 significant figures for all Math and Science subjects.

i.e. , 18.89 m / 0.002548 mol

When I joined the Cambridge International Exams for AS and A level, the system is changed.
That's why I'm curious to ask how would you guys do for Calculations for these following subjects?
And some required standard form?

Can someone list them which is needed by what for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Mathematics : Angle Values, in degrees / radians ?
Physics :
Chemistry :
Biology :

Reaction score
Hi there guys! I'm Sean from Malaysia.
During my SPM (IGCSE O-Levels Equivalent)

Our Standard for Mathematical Calculations, most of our calculations are rounded off to 2 decimal places, unless the values are smaller than 2 decimal places we will consider 4 significant figures for all Math and Science subjects.

i.e. , 18.89 m / 0.002548 mol

When I joined the Cambridge International Exams for AS and A level, the system is changed.
That's why I'm curious to ask how would you guys do for Calculations for these following subjects?
And some required standard form?

Can someone list them which is needed by what for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology

Mathematics : Angle Values, in degrees / radians ?
Physics :
Chemistry :
Biology :

Mathematics : Answers are usually left in an exact form if possible, for example , √3 , ln 15 , 5π . If an answer cannot be expressed in an exact form then 3 s.f is sufficient. For angles, the unit is specified in the question. For degrees, express answers to 1 d.p. For radians, an exact form is ideal but if its not possible then the usual 3 s.f rule applies.

Physics : Depends on the number of s.f given in the data of a particular question. Fractions or surds are usually not accepted. Relevant units have to be written for physical quantities.

Chemistry : Its not really specified, but I usually go with 3 or 4 s.f.

Biology : I don't do bio but I reckon it ought to be 3 s.f.

Hope this helps!