• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Which is Easier Mechanics 1 or Statistics 1 for AS Level Maths?

Reaction score
im studying statistics .. statistics is 5 chapters while mechanics is 4 .. if u took physics gcse mechanics is pretty much the basis of gcse physics ...statistics focuses more on graphs and probability in depth it's all up to u where do u think u can perform better?

Reaction score
im studying statistics .. statistics is 5 chapters while mechanics is 4 .. if u took physics gcse mechanics is pretty much the basis of gcse physics ...statistics focuses more on graphs and probability in depth it's all up to u where do u think u can perform better?
thnak u:)

Reaction score
I found Mechanics easier and that's only because I took Physics , if you did not take Physics you will struggle in Mechanics.

Reaction score
If you love physics, you will find that mechanics one is a piece of cake. I took mechanics 1 for as and now m2 for a2. A looooooooooooot HARDER than stupid statistics, it requires a brain. Statistics is easier (if you are dumb, and want an easy paper to just finish... just joking), but if you want to become an engineer, etc, I recommend Mechanics.

Reaction score
Plz can anyone suggest me about this.......:)
Mechanics (M1) is easier because the questions are the same every time. Just formula and simple logic. Even you didn't do physics, you will need to tell your teacher so that he/she can explain it to you mathematically. Any mistake made you will definitely noticed it :)))
Statistics (S1) questions sometimes are really easier and sometimes really hard. Once a mistake made, the whole question wrong :(
So it's now up to you to chose :)))))
Thanks

Reaction score
I have done both S1 and P1 but tbh I found M1 to be easier just because I've done A level Physics; it is piece of cake if you are capable to handling questions in P3 Differentiation and Integration.

If you dont do physics as As level or Have not done it in O level (advance) physics then please DONT do it!

Reaction score
I have done IGCSE Physics but I won't be doing Physics in AS.What would be a better option for me???Statistics or Mechanics?Considering that I won't be doing Physics in AS level and my classmates on the other hand will be taking it, will I find it harder?Thanx!

Reaction score
From my personal experience I would say Statistics 1 is significantly easier than Mechanics 1 even if you've studied physics because first of all M1 is not fully covered in physics, a lot of stuff is not even taught in physics you will be surprised. Also M1 includes the use of calculus, which for some students could be hard and overall M1 questions require more thinking and problem solving while S1 questions are more of knowledge and practice based and by that I mean, they can't really give you something new or complicated, most of the question patterns are repeated. If I personally have to choose, I would go for Mechanics 1 because it interests me and I'm good at maths and calculus.
Source: I got A* in Maths :D ( I'm not saying this to brag myself but just to let you know I'm not speaking out of nowhere.)

Reaction score
I have done IGCSE Physics but I won't be doing Physics in AS.What would be a better option for me???Statistics or Mechanics?Considering that I won't be doing Physics in AS level and my classmates on the other hand will be taking it, will I find it harder?Thanx!
You will find it a little harder, honestly speaking, the only thing studying physics helps is knowing a little about the first few topics, this Mechanics is at a much higher level than in physics.

Reaction score
You will find it a little harder, honestly speaking, the only thing studying physics helps is knowing a little about the first few topics, this Mechanics is at a much higher level than in physics.
So, you would recommend me to take Statistics?

Reaction score
So, you would recommend me to take Statistics?
I'm just saying it doesn't really make a big difference between you and the other students taking physics. It doesn't matter which one you take as long as you score a good grade and I think for most people statistics is easier, just my own experience. Do one thing, take classes for both of them like a little and see which one works for you.

Reaction score
I'm just saying it doesn't really make a big difference between you and the other students taking physics. It doesn't matter which one you take as long as you score a good grade and I think for most people statistics is easier, just my own experience. Do one thing, take classes for both of them like a little and see which one works for you.
Yeah I think that would be best.Thanx alot for the advice.

Reaction score
S1 is actually harder than M1. In the way that you need to be really good at thinking. Mechanics is just applying equations, which is easier if you know physics. I honestly did both and I think I suck at S1