• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What does a grade U mean ? ( Problem during practical )

Reaction score
So last year, I had AS Physics practical and during the exam I found out that there is a problem in the apparatus given but it was too late. However, I solved the other question with the other apparatus so I don't think I would actually get a U. After the exam was done, reports were sent to CIE regarding the problem by my teacher and the examiner that was there.
What does a grade U mean here ? I got A is AS Physics: Paper 1 : A , Paper 2 : A, Paper 3: U.

Reaction score
i think it means ungraded, i have a feeling CIE did not even receive your papers. You get a U usually when the paper is not done at all.

Reaction score
I think they didn't take your Paper 3 marks for Consideration OR You did toooooooooo well in other 2 papers that you got A because of them.

Reaction score
I'd say they didn't grade it because they probably found out that there was a problem with the apparatus in your centre. In that case, I think they ignored the paper 3 of all candidates in your centre and used your predicted grade instead. However, ungraded usually means that you failed to get the required mark to pass.

If the apparatus problem was for you only, then maybe the invigilators noted it down or something and you were compensated. But if the apparatus problem was faced by everyone taking the exam then you should check with other students and see whether they also got U or not.

Reaction score
I'd say they didn't grade it because they probably found out that there was a problem with the apparatus in your centre. In that case, I think they ignored the paper 3 of all candidates in your centre and used your predicted grade instead. However, ungraded usually means that you failed to get the required mark to pass.

If the apparatus problem was for you only, then maybe the invigilators noted it down or something and you were compensated. But if the apparatus problem was faced by everyone taking the exam then you should check with other students and see whether they also got U or not.

Me and another student faced the problem and we both got a U..