• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

URGENT HELP NEEDED ON DRAWING BIO PAPER 6 GRAPHS!

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. So my bio paper 6 is tomorrow and im not completely sure on how to draw graphs properly. I was wondering if someone could tell me all the rules on how to draw graphs(and bar charts and histograms and stuff), like when we have to draw the graph with ruled lines and when not to, and all that independent/dependent variable stuff on the x-axis and y-axis. im not really sure about any of it :unknown: THANKS!

P.S. How many paper 6's should i do? Like, at least?

Reaction score
In Biology, line graphs are always point to point using a rule, unless told to draw a line of best fit.

Usually, you will have to draw a line graph, although they do sometimes ask you to draw a bar graph or a histogram.

With both a bar chart and a histogram, you plot the variable being measured, not frequency density, against the groups, ie, it could be a graph for heart rates.

The only difference between a bar chart and a histogram is that a histogram does not have spaces in between the bars.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Best of luck to you tomorrow :)

Reaction score
So wait, you draw lines in a line graph for bio paper 6 using a ruler? except when said "line of best fit?"

Reaction score
Thanks a lot xIshtar :D But what about curves? Do we ever have to draw curves? And what about the independent and dependent variable? Which axes are they on? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hey this is simple, I will tell you everything
1 mark for writing the labels for example temperature/C(you have to wite the unit for ex cm3)
1 mark for choosing the correct scale which occupies half of the graph
1 mark for choosing the correct labels for correct axis
1 mark for plotting all the points
1 mark for drawing a proper line

You should use the x-axis label for the one which you are changing during the experiment whereas for y-axis label the one which is observed in the experiment for example if the efffect of temperature on an enzyme then temperature will be in the x-axis as you are seeing what will happen to the enzyme as you are increasing the temperature.

Reaction score
Adahshan said:
So wait, you draw lines in a line graph for bio paper 6 using a ruler? except when said "line of best fit?"

Exactly. It is the easiest exam for drawing graphs in my opinion.

Keeemoman said:
Hey this is simple, I will tell you everything
1 mark for writing the labels for example temperature/C(you have to wite the unit for ex cm3)
1 mark for choosing the correct scale which occupies half of the graph
1 mark for choosing the correct labels for correct axis
1 mark for plotting all the points
1 mark for drawing a proper line

You should use the x-axis label for the one which you are changing during the experiment whereas for y-axis label the one which is observed in the experiment for example if the efffect of temperature on an enzyme then temperature will be in the x-axis as you are seeing what will happen to the enzyme as you are increasing the temperature.

Couldn't have put it better myself, thanks for the mark layout, I didn't know that you only had to use half, I was going in with the idea of using the entire axis no matter how awkward the scale. :D

Reaction score
TheCookieMonster said:
Thanks Keeemoman, that helped quite a bit :D but do we ever draw curves?!

I have never drawn a curve in biology. I believe however if it says a smooth line graph, it is acceptable to draw a curve. In some markschemes I have seen, curves and point-to-point plotting has been acceptable.

Reaction score
Example

If you go down to the graph question, and read the key at the beginning, A means accept as a correct response. A smooth curve through most of the points is accepted. Check the right hand side of the table on page 4 I believe. ^^

Reaction score
little question, the scale always wastes my time..is there a really easy way of finding the perfect scale?

Reaction score
Guys i also have a question about histograms and bar charts , can someone show me examples? and how to draw each of the 2? plz i would be grateful

thanks guys.

Reaction score
narutogirl said:
little question, the scale always wastes my time..is there a really easy way of finding the perfect scale?

Just work out your range of values, and see how much space you are given. Chose a scale which is easy to plot ie, assigning a scale of 10 to a small space will make it hard to plot points unless they are multiples.
There is no perfect scale, as long as you take up at least half the space, and it works for you then it is fine.

Ahmooosh said:
Guys i also have a question about histograms and bar charts , can someone show me examples? and how to draw each of the 2? plz i would be grateful

thanks guys.

For May/June 2002 3c) ii)

Well, once you have completed the tally chart, you should then notice that the class width for each of them is the same. In a histogram and as the classes aren't continuous, the class boundaries have to be used. (If you are unaware of what they are let me know, but I presume you do because you mentioned maths earlier) The other important thing is that you have to distinguish between the two sets of values. So, you have a length of however many squares. You should then find the class boundaries and thus find the overall range and plot the scale accordingly. The class widths are all 0.5. Once you have done that, split the space that you assign to each class in two, and draw your two representing columns. You could use shading to distinguish between them. Then you should finally write the names for the x and y axis. The y axis would be the shaded area in cm^2 and the x axis, class size in cm^2, both of which can be found in the table.

I wouldn't worry too much about this type of histogram, as in past papers I have only seen it come up once. Bar charts however are common. You never know, due to the year being 2011, they may repeat earlier questions.

Histograms and barcharts are the same except for the space between bars in bar charts. I hope I helped, if you have any more questions do not be afraid to ask, but the reply may take some time as I have my AS Maths paper now :)

Best of luck to everyone later

Reaction score
Just work out your range of values, and see how much space you are given. Chose a scale which is easy to plot ie, assigning a scale of 10 to a small space will make it hard to plot points unless they are multiples.
There is no perfect scale, as long as you take up at least half the space, and it works for you then it is fine.

For May/June 2002 3c) ii)

Well, once you have completed the tally chart, you should then notice that the class width for each of them is the same. In a histogram and as the classes aren't continuous, the class boundaries have to be used. (If you are unaware of what they are let me know, but I presume you do because you mentioned maths earlier) The other important thing is that you have to distinguish between the two sets of values. So, you have a length of however many squares. You should then find the class boundaries and thus find the overall range and plot the scale accordingly. The class widths are all 0.5. Once you have done that, split the space that you assign to each class in two, and draw your two representing columns. You could use shading to distinguish between them. Then you should finally write the names for the x and y axis. The y axis would be the shaded area in cm^2 and the x axis, class size in cm^2, both of which can be found in the table.

I wouldn't worry too much about this type of histogram, as in past papers I have only seen it come up once. Bar charts however are common. You never know, due to the year being 2011, they may repeat earlier questions.

Histograms and barcharts are the same except for the space between bars in bar charts. I hope I helped, if you have any more questions do not be afraid to ask, but the reply may take some time as I have my AS Maths paper now :)

Best of luck to everyone later
Hi, What about the weird Bar chart from paper 6 May/June 2006 ? for each sample A , we draw a different bar for the liver and another for potato ? Thank you for helping me. I am very confused.

Reaction score
Incase the plotted points look as though a curve is supposed to be drawn...... The points plotted must be joined with ruled straight lines or smooth curve a must produced?

Reaction score
Someone help me. I had my biology atp today. I had histograms, and I did frequency density. Will I loose all my 4 marks? Cause I always had it in the back of my mind that histograms have frequency density. Ummm I labelled the axis correctly....but other than that I followed the f/cw units. Will they not accept my graph at all? My school never did histograms for biology so I had no clue...