• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

University College London VS National University of Singapore

Reaction score
Overall, there is no doubt UCL is way ahead. But NUS ranks 5 in Mechanical engineering and 9 in Computer Science whereas UCL is not renowned for engineering and computer science courses according to qs. So where should one go if he gets accepted for either computer science or mechanical engineering in both UCL and NUS?

Reaction score
While UCL is ranked 4th in the world overall, NUS is far ahead of it in subject rankings. NUS is also much more affordable than UCL where there are very few scholarships for international students from SE Asia. So I think it would be better if you went to NUS

Reaction score
While UCL is ranked 4th in the world overall, NUS is far ahead of it in subject rankings. NUS is also much more affordable than UCL where there are very few scholarships for international students from SE Asia. So I think it would be better if you went to NUS
What if I can afford UCL?

Reaction score
This is a very tough question. Different people will have different opinions regarding this so it might be really difficult to differentiate between the two universities when it comes to academics. Both are good in their own way. But you can make your choice using a totally different context. Where would you like to live? London or Singapore? Europe or Asia?
Try contacting students studying in both universities. Use forums and websites of the respective universities and try to get hold of some emails. So enquire such stuff before you make a decision.
In the end it totally depends on you.

Reaction score
This is a very tough question. Different people will have different opinions regarding this so it might be really difficult to differentiate between the two universities when it comes to academics. Both are good in their own way. But you can make your choice using a totally different context. Where would you like to live? London or Singapore? Europe or Asia?
Try contacting students studying in both universities. Use forums and websites of the respective universities and try to get hold of some emails. So enquire such stuff before you make a decision.
In the end it totally depends on you.
My cousin's friend encountered something like this last year. He eventually went to NUS coz of the loan. I also want to apply to both these universities in the future. So I am curious to know which is beter. I just gave my O levels in May/June 2012. I don't have to make any decision right now regarding this but I am curious to know what I would do if this happens to me when I apply in the future.

Reaction score
Overall, there is no doubt UCL is way ahead. But NUS ranks 5 in Mechanical engineering and 9 in Computer Science whereas UCL is not renowned for engineering and computer science courses according to qs. So where should one go if he gets accepted for either computer science or mechanical engineering in both UCL and NUS?

Both have a greater international reputation which matters, most of the people who are not aware of departmental rankings are quite aware of the names and international prestige. Your decision depends on cost of attending and location

Reaction score
Both have a greater international reputation which matters, most of the people who are not aware of departmental rankings are quite aware of the names and international prestige. Your decision depends on cost of attending and location
UK has a beter reputation as a study destination than Singapore. UCL offers part scholarships and NUS offers loans, so both universities are affordable. Overall, Ucl would be a beter choice, is'nt it?

Reaction score
I would recommend you to ponder over this question once you get accepted at both the universities. Right now focus on completing the requirements required to get admission. You need SATs for NUS so getting a good score should be your first priority.

Reaction score
I would recommend you to ponder over this question once you get accepted at both the universities. Right now focus on completing the requirements required to get admission. You need SATs for NUS so getting a good score should be your first priority.
Yah, u r absolutely right. But still, I was just curious since I saw my seniors faced this problem recently. As for Sat, Nus does not require it if you apply after A2 in a gap year. I am thinking of taking one after A2 coz my parents think I will be too young at that time! So I dont need to worry about Sat at the moment.