• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

University after IGCSE.. help plz :)

Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon,

Hello!
I'm an IGCSE student(studying in the UAE)
I'm planning to get high scores in my IGCSE exams(inshalla) then start university studies diectly.
I chose Malaysia but I want to know the universities in there that would accept me without completing my A/As levels..

Would you please help me find the suitable university for me? :)

Thanks,

Reaction score
well u can join unis without doing alevels but u'll have to do a "foundation course" instead!!!!!!!!!(course duration 1 year)
my advice go for "SWINE BURNE" or "MONASH" uni in malaysia ...................

hope that helps!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
ganda bacha said:
well u can join unis without doing alevels but u'll have to do a "foundation course" instead!!!!!!!!!(course duration 1 year)
my advice go for "SWINE BURNE" or "MONASH" uni in malaysia ...................

hope that helps!!!!!!!!!
yes, thanks!!

ktc

Reaction score
Well, yeah, I know foundation course is *considerable*, but does anyone know if it’s really worth doing?

The good thing is it’s faster – you don’t have to spend two whole years doing A levels, instead you can jump right into a 9/10 month course and then go straight to Uni.

The not – so- good thing is, do all Unis except foundation course as an alternative to A levels? :/

Did anyone here ever do foundation course and get into uni or at least planning to?

People say A level’s is a *must* in many good Unis [which I’m aiming for, Insha’Allah]

But still, what’s the harm doing something; you usually do in 2 years, in one?

Reaction score
My friends failed A levels and got like EEEU and went on to do foundation at Exeter. Exeter's a top uni in the UK. Dont know if that helps you.

ktc

Reaction score
^ Hold on a sec; I’m talking about ‘foundation course’ right after O level – *instead* of doing A level, all together. :p

It’s good there are universities that provide foundation courses along with undergrad/post grade/masters, etc.

But here’s where my question mark lies: are there any prestigious universities that *will* accept you doing foundation course, as a *replacement* for A level, you know, when you need to put forward your *requirements* to that uni, before starting undergrad there?

Btw – heard of Exeter, it’s a good choice.

Reaction score
^ Hold on a sec; I’m talking about ‘foundation course’ right after O level – *instead* of doing A level, all together. :p

It’s good there are universities that provide foundation courses along with undergrad/post grade/masters, etc.

But here’s where my question mark lies: are there any prestigious universities that *will* accept you doing foundation course, as a *replacement* for A level, you know, when you need to put forward your *requirements* to that uni, before starting undergrad there?

Btw – heard of Exeter, it’s a good choice.
Not sure..but I assume EEEU is as good as never doing A Levels. They probably never even declared that they got those grades when applying for the foundation. I dont know how easy it is to get into the course though as I assume if it was that simple several people would fail a levels on purpose or not do them at all if all they needed was 1 year foundation to start undergrad at a top university. Exeter's normal offer for undergrad is AAA so yeah, I'm guesing there has to be some catch for getting into the foundation.

Reaction score
^ Hm, I see. Thanks a bunch, Zephyro!
Another thing to remember is that all my friends were international applicants. They are probably more favourable towards international applications as they might be aware that the British curriculum is not so well learnt outside the UK and the fact that international fees are much higher. That being said a person inside the UK who is applying for a foundation course would probably find it harder to get in then say an international applicant like yourself as the UK government sponsors schools to provide A Levels to people below the age of 18. They have no reason to say why they didnt go on to do A Levels like you. So yeah..you do have chances..email the uni to make sure. Oh and as your from the UAE one more thing that might interest you is that another friend of mine applyed for the foundation course at Heriott-watt university ( Dubai Campus ) and they seemed pretty fine with just good IGCSE's

ktc

Reaction score
^ Oh yeah - that does make sense.

I'm not from the UAE, btw - I'm not this thread holder *points to the thread holder’s username and mine* :p

Thanks again!

Reaction score
I'm also a UAE IGCSE student and I wanted to go to university right after this year. I was considering Malaysia, and the university I wanted to go there is the University of Nottingham - Malaysia Campus. It's a great university and you can get in with IGCSE's - but you'll have to do a foundation year and you'll have to apply pretty soon. I don't really know much about other universities in Malaysia.

As for the UAE, Heriot-Watt as someone already said, wil accept you but again you have to do a foundation year. There are a few universities in the UAE you can go to without doing a foundation year such as the American University of Sharjah, American University in Dubai, Ajman University, Skyline University and the University of Wollongong (although I'm not so sure about the last two). I think it would be better to do a foundation year though.
Hope I helped!:)

Reactions: ktc