• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Tips to get A* in A'levels

Reaction score
Guys I did GCSE A-Levels by Cambridge International Examinations and I got 2 C's and 2 D's. However I have good SAT score. I secured 1360 in SAT 1 which includes Mathematics and English. I also did IELTS and secured 6.5 out of 9.0. Is this score good enough to get admitted in USA and getting scholarship?

Reaction score
Guys I did GCSE A-Levels by Cambridge International Examinations and I got 2 C's and 2 D's. However I have good SAT score. I secured 1360 in SAT 1 which includes Mathematics and English. I also did IELTS and secured 6.5 out of 9.0. Is this score good enough to get admitted in USA and getting scholarship?
Most US universities require TOEFL not IELTS so your IELTS score would be a waste/not needed for most universities. Your A-level results are average, your SAT score is average too(for good universities) so it's unlikely that you would get admitted in the USA(in a good university) let alone, be offered a scholarship/financial aid. Your SAT 2 score also matters, and unless you have exceptional extra curriculars, it's highly unlikely that you would be admitted in a US university with financial aid.

Reaction score
I remember that there was a senior in my school who had a sat score of 1100, 5As+rest Bs in olevels and 3Bs in alevels. He ended up getting into michigan state university for 80% financial aid because he had incredible extra curriculars(debating, sports, leadership positions).

Reaction score
If you are aiming to lower end unis like community colleges then I guess it is fine, otherwise not sure
Yeah you can easily end up on community colleges. Financial aid for such unis would be difficult to get still. It comes down to your extra curriculars really... just show the uni you are an all-rounded student and you're giving yourself a solid chance.

Reaction score
Yeah you can easily end up on community colleges. Financial aid for such unis would be difficult to get still. It comes down to your extra curriculars really... just show the uni you are an all-rounded student and you're giving yourself a solid chance.
Guys how do US Unis convert A-Level grades into their GPA out of 4.0?

Reaction score
Guys how do US Unis convert A-Level grades into their GPA out of 4.0?
They have a scale on which each grade has a score out of 4 with A*/A being 4 and U being 1. Then they sum up the scores and divide it by the number of subjects to get your final GPA. Google the proper scale on which they score the grades.

Reaction score
Hello. I appeared for AS this year, chem, bio, phy and went onto score straight Ds. Now I'm planning to give accel of all 3 subjects next year, I understand all the topics of chem+bio well and was well prepared during AS papers too but unfortunately didnt practice past papers early enough. The point is I can do bio+chem well and have tutors for it. I am a private candidate. The thing is I am not that good at physics because I'm unable to find a decent tutor who knows well himself, hence is able to teach a not so good at physics student as me. Should I go for self study? I never understood work, power and energy but recently studied it online and now get all the past papers questions due to hardwork. Is doing well with at least a B in physics AS+A2 possible by self study? P.S:not a fan of physics but am being forced to do it since it's one of the requirements for medical!
Hey I need ur help can you email me at [email protected] regarding AS practicals?

Last edited:

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Hello. I appeared for AS this year, chem, bio, phy and went onto score straight Ds. Now I'm planning to give accel of all 3 subjects next year, I understand all the topics of chem+bio well and was well prepared during AS papers too but unfortunately didnt practice past papers early enough. The point is I can do bio+chem well and have tutors for it. I am a private candidate. The thing is I am not that good at physics because I'm unable to find a decent tutor who knows well himself, hence is able to teach a not so good at physics student as me. Should I go for self study? I never understood work, power and energy but recently studied it online and now get all the past papers questions due to hardwork. Is doing well with at least a B in physics AS+A2 possible by self study? P.S:not a fan of physics but am being forced to do it since it's one of the requirements for medical!
Try doing a lot of pastpapers. If you have a good grip on them, you can surely make it.
You'll need help for practicals though.

Reaction score
Why the Practical of AS Chemistry is so damnn hard?
I practiced it alottt but end up with D in P33...my question is what should one do to get best in practical ?

Reaction score
Why the Practical of AS Chemistry is so damnn hard?
I practiced it alottt but end up with D in P33...my question is what should one do to get best in practical ?
I think that asking your teacher for extra lessons on practicals is best for you....at least do 2 practicals each week you will be good

Reaction score
Can I please have notes for paper 3 AICT 9626, because the coursebook doesnt have everything!
And notes for the theory parts which are expected to come in the practical paper...
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I'm in A2 and it's just 4 months left my subjects are Phy, Maths and C.S. Any hope ? :(