• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Tips to get A* in A'levels

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

After completing my A’levels, I am well aware how everyone says and feels that getting A* is a very difficult job. Alhumdulilah, I was able to achieve a very good result because of Allah’s mercy, prayers from everyone and encouragement & help by my parents and teachers.

Of course, everyone desires to get A*s, but it’s not everyone who understands how to carry on or someone who gets guidance and help on time. Insha’Allah, I’d try to share my experience which might be of help to others.

Now, to start with, I’d like to mention it’s not only studying all the time which would help you move on. There are a couple of other things which we tend to ignore. Firstly, understand the purpose of life. Allah has created us, and we must follow Our Creator. [Nothing is possible but by Allah’s will.] So make sure you are regular in your prayers [Salah]. I’ve seen many people, who leave their Salah for the sole reason that they’re too busy with their studies that they think, if they get up for Salah, their time would be wasted. No, definitely not. If your Lord, your Creator is not happy with you, what’s the purpose of living and how can ‘YOU’ feel happy then? “Which of the favours of your Lord shall you deny?” (Al-Quran) Allah has gifted us with so many blessings, and can’t we just do these little things for Him? Think again. Wake up early in the morning, at the time of Fajr and then recite a small portion of the Quran. And then start with your work.

<So we now know, the first important thing is the Salah.>

Now, the next thing is your character and behaviour towards others. You might think this, in no way, plays a role in your success. Trust me, it does. Respect your parents and teachers. It seems very easy, but if we analyze ourselves, we might find we don’t really do this. Mimicking teachers, talking ill about others, not obeying your parents or even teachers, and the list goes on. We should really try avoiding these things. In the beginning, it might be difficult, but Insha’Allah with time you won’t find it hard at all. No matter how bad the teacher is, respect him/ her. Based on my personal experience, I’m saying this. You respect the teacher and you’ll see how Allah helps you. Another thing, don’t feel bad doing some work for your parents, teachers or siblings. Do it, if they ask you for help, for the sake of Allah, surely Allah will reward you for that, in this world as well as the next. Insha’Allah.

<So the next important thing, respect others.>

Now, you are regular in your Salah (Alhumdulilah) and you are trying to respect others. After discussing these small things which we all think of as unimportant, I’ll move on and discuss how to study and manage your work. The first thing is, be regular to school. Please do not miss any class whatsoever. I’ve been very regular to school, and except when it was completely impossible for me to attend school, I never took a single day off. Even if the whole class plans to take off but the teachers said they’re going to take the class, I’d be there for the class. Try to prepare for all the tests taken in your school/tuitions/academies. Even if I say, study on daily basis like revise what’s done in school, only a few would be able to do so. It’s good if you can do so.

Do your homeworks regularly and avoid copying from friends. If you do so, you’ll risk your own grades, not the teacher’s! And divide days for each subject, and try doing what has been done in it since you last revised that. On weekends, you can do two subjects per day (or even more if you can), and review all what was done throughout the week.

Once you’re done with the full chapter, try solving questions from the past papers. After trying them yourself, refer mark schemes and examiner reports. Furthermore, make short notes, chapter-wise, based on the past paper questions. I’d show you a few I made (though, due to shortage of time, I couldn’t do much). This really helps a lot for last-minute revision. In these short notes, you may even add those points which you think you might forget.
[Here's the link to the ones I made: My notes for Biology and Physics A2]

For maths, regular practice is needed. As for me, after the chapter has been explained, I’d do all the questions in the past papers from that chapter. Again, for this do it yourself, rather than looking up the mark schemes. Solve question from other sources. That helped me a lot. Once I was done with all the chapters, I solved all the papers yearly.

To conclude, keep making dua’a and salah. Studying only, is just not enough. Make sure that your Lord is happy with you!

Pray for me and others. And another thing, I forgot to mention, be helpful to your friends. I’ve seen people who don’t like to help others just because they don’t want them to get better grades than him/her. Don’t do this. Based on my personal experience, I’ve seen the topics which I explained to my friends are the ones which I best understand. That’s the best way to get things to your head.
Ya Allah help us all and grant us success in this world as well as the HereAfter. Aameen.

Reaction score
Very encouraging.I always say the same thing above to my brother and my fellow friends;and I should say the same for all brothers and sisters.
If you dedicate yourself in your studies through prayers and by all positive manners, surely Allah would help you to succeed.

Reaction score
thank you for sharing your experience and advising us, really helpful :)

Reaction score
9093 English AS
Any tips on how to write a commentary?
Like the layout and perhaps a list of features and effects to look for?
Can anyone provide me with sample commentaries if you have done in school? (preferably with marks)

Also tips on paper 1 and paper 2 as well to get an A
Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Any tips how to prepare for A Levels within 2 months.
Since have been lethargic throughout the whole year.Would mean a lot.Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Any tips how to prepare for A Levels within 2 months.
Since have been lethargic throughout the whole year.Would mean a lot.Thanks in advance.

Don't worry, it's not that hard if you have two months. a lot of us are in that state only ;) just put in at least an hour for each subject every day and do lots of past papers. All the best!

Reaction score
Hey guys!!! I am completely new here and just got to know about this forum from a friend. Well I found an awesome resource that I think I should share. And it is:

Hodder Cambridge as/a level biology revision guide 2nd edition (2015 edition)

Here's the link: www.fileml.com/file/0573aM

Note : Problem here is that you have to complete an offer to download!! I know it sucks... But the revision guide is really awesome... And anyway it just takes 5 minutes to complete the offer..I am not able to upload here as it is a big file and my internet is smaller :p
Please stop promoting fake stuff

Reaction score
AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb!

After completing my A’levels, I am well aware how everyone says and feels that getting A* is a very difficult job. Alhumdulilah, I was able to achieve a very good result because of Allah’s mercy, prayers from everyone and encouragement & help by my parents and teachers.

Of course, everyone desires to get A*s, but it’s not everyone who understands how to carry on or someone who gets guidance and help on time. Insha’Allah, I’d try to share my experience which might be of help to others.

Now, to start with, I’d like to mention it’s not only studying all the time which would help you move on. There are a couple of other things which we tend to ignore. Firstly, understand the purpose of life. Allah has created us, and we must follow Our Creator. [Nothing is possible but by Allah’s will.] So make sure you are regular in your prayers [Salah]. I’ve seen many people, who leave their Salah for the sole reason that they’re too busy with their studies that they think, if they get up for Salah, their time would be wasted. No, definitely not. If your Lord, your Creator is not happy with you, what’s the purpose of living and how can ‘YOU’ feel happy then? “Which of the favours of your Lord shall you deny?” (Al-Quran) Allah has gifted us with so many blessings, and can’t we just do these little things for Him? Think again. Wake up early in the morning, at the time of Fajr and then recite a small portion of the Quran. And then start with your work.

<So we now know, the first important thing is the Salah.>

Now, the next thing is your character and behaviour towards others. You might think this, in no way, plays a role in your success. Trust me, it does. Respect your parents and teachers. It seems very easy, but if we analyze ourselves, we might find we don’t really do this. Mimicking teachers, talking ill about others, not obeying your parents or even teachers, and the list goes on. We should really try avoiding these things. In the beginning, it might be difficult, but Insha’Allah with time you won’t find it hard at all. No matter how bad the teacher is, respect him/ her. Based on my personal experience, I’m saying this. You respect the teacher and you’ll see how Allah helps you. Another thing, don’t feel bad doing some work for your parents, teachers or siblings. Do it, if they ask you for help, for the sake of Allah, surely Allah will reward you for that, in this world as well as the next. Insha’Allah.

<So the next important thing, respect others.>

Now, you are regular in your Salah (Alhumdulilah) and you are trying to respect others. After discussing these small things which we all think of as unimportant, I’ll move on and discuss how to study and manage your work. The first thing is, be regular to school. Please do not miss any class whatsoever. I’ve been very regular to school, and except when it was completely impossible for me to attend school, I never took a single day off. Even if the whole class plans to take off but the teachers said they’re going to take the class, I’d be there for the class. Try to prepare for all the tests taken in your school/tuitions/academies. Even if I say, study on daily basis like revise what’s done in school, only a few would be able to do so. It’s good if you can do so.

Do your homeworks regularly and avoid copying from friends. If you do so, you’ll risk your own grades, not the teacher’s! And divide days for each subject, and try doing what has been done in it since you last revised that. On weekends, you can do two subjects per day (or even more if you can), and review all what was done throughout the week.

Once you’re done with the full chapter, try solving questions from the past papers. After trying them yourself, refer mark schemes and examiner reports. Furthermore, make short notes, chapter-wise, based on the past paper questions. I’d show you a few I made (though, due to shortage of time, I couldn’t do much). This really helps a lot for last-minute revision. In these short notes, you may even add those points which you think you might forget.
[Here's the link to the ones I made: My notes for Biology and Physics A2]

For maths, regular practice is needed. As for me, after the chapter has been explained, I’d do all the questions in the past papers from that chapter. Again, for this do it yourself, rather than looking up the mark schemes. Solve question from other sources. That helped me a lot. Once I was done with all the chapters, I solved all the papers yearly.

To conclude, keep making dua’a and salah. Studying only, is just not enough. Make sure that your Lord is happy with you!

Pray for me and others. And another thing, I forgot to mention, be helpful to your friends. I’ve seen people who don’t like to help others just because they don’t want them to get better grades than him/her. Don’t do this. Based on my personal experience, I’ve seen the topics which I explained to my friends are the ones which I best understand. That’s the best way to get things to your head.
Ya Allah help us all and grant us success in this world as well as the HereAfter. Aameen.

I don't know how to express my gratitude. Thank you so much for this, and may Allah reward you.

Reaction score
HOW TO STUDY FOR ALEVEL BIOLOGY
bro Step number 1,a) first need to read your chapter in textbook .b) Get the speciication of syllabus which means respiration hes putting points or questions on what you must learn .c)You need to read each paragraph carefully and understand each and every single word for example Respiration lets say first paragraph is talking about the ATP so hes first tell you what is ATp and its strutures and its features as energy currency and its its role so then directly you go again to your specification and see the question examiner putting first point "you must learn ATP structure synthesis role as energy currency and uses " so you underline the answers as a reading text for answer of structure and all of that in text book .NOTE dont study it ujust read and understand it first and do the same till you finish chapter for process of aerobic and anaerobic and so on . Then Step number 2 a) go to all your past papers and pick each question related to respiration on your a document pdf . NOTE your going to make something in egypt we call it according to chapters for european i think you say Classified chapters. No matter of the names its just same idea. B)Then print it and solve it and here comes the most important function for example your going to copy from your text book what you highlighted when he ask you describe structure of ATP then check it using markscheme.The book might say its a nucleotide composed of adenosine and thre phosphate groups linked covalently but markscheme had better editing for scientific languge being used its a phosphorlytated nucleotide composed of adenosine that is nitrogen containg base adenine and ribose pentose sugar attached t carbon position number 1 to ribose and three polar charged hydrophilic p groups attached to carbon position number 5. Note markscheme is giving answers as a point so your job is to make it in a numbered sentence which i prefer as it easier for studying then link them when writing in the question . Then do that for every single question and make a document handwritten of few pages called a chapter wise questions or in egypt we call it stamps like 5 or might 12 pages edited of both textbook and mark scheme. Step number 3 is optional but i used to prefer it you can make a full handwritten notes for your chapter after you had edited both mark scheme and text book in order not to go through text book again . NOTE there might be important diagrams need to draw it in your notes and might be some information in your specification you higlighted but thers no question for it in your past papers. Step 4 you must solve your SAQ and ECQ but optional to get question for chapter from other boards as CIE OCR AQA WJEC BJEC but i prfer as the higher markscheme stamp questions the higher you can gain grade as in biology 75 % of question are repeated .I took mu alevel and i got high B in alevel biology cambridge cie but i used to make these rules in my studying that might take alot for each chapter but remember brother from your pain is your gain. Then indeed after making a textbook markscheme having all normal and tricky questions and beside it the according and question stamps study first your notes which having all these then you can read your classified and stamps but theres no need .Then after you finish all your chapters and prepared solve exams you made it as a classified as a separate exam in order to rememorise and manage time. Then go to the recent exams the last year you didnt make it as a classified and solve it as a full exam .

Reaction score
can anyone send me A-Level Physics by Roger Muncaster pdf? I really need one to score good grades I am literally failing physics in every exam I had.

Reaction score
can anyone send me A-Level Physics by Roger Muncaster pdf? I really need one to score good grades I am literally failing physics in every exam I had.
I take onlline classes on hourly basis on whats app and I train people like you to understand the paper style and the content in any chapter they are stuck at. I charge 5 pounds per hour. If you need more details, msg me on my whats app : +919426116018

Reaction score
Assalam Alaikum.
In phy P52 today my Q1 went well Alhumdulillah, but Q2 went terrible. I found it difficult and also couldn't manage my time very well.
I had an A in As level and all 3 papers went fine. I had A's in all 3 components too.
Paper 42 was good too.
Is it still possible for me to get an A*?
Even if I get a B in P5?
My teacher said A's were necessary in all 5 component papers to score an A*.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Please reply.