• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Ticl4 ionic or covalent?

Reaction score
What was the correct answer to this question? Chemistry p2, section b question 2.

Reaction score
Metal + Non metal = Covalent, thats what we should know as per the syllabus. CIE should not expect us to know the exception.
As for TiCl4, it has both IONIC and COVALENT bonds I guess ( but majority covalent). Half of the internet says IONIC and other half says covalent. And their reasons include complex matters like electropositivity , electronegativity, etc that we are not expected to know.

Wiki page says IONIC in one place i saw

Reaction score
covalent...it had a low mp given.....this is an exception of ionic boding....

Reaction score
It's Ionic bhiyaa jaani. Metal + Non Metal = Ionic. Every single question in our syllabus tells us this and also the concepts. It's a property of metal to always form ionic bond then why an exception over this one?

Reaction score
It's Ionic bhiyaa jaani. Metal + Non Metal = Ionic. Every single question in our syllabus tells us this and also the concepts. It's a property of metal to always form ionic bond then why an exception over this one?
Group 1,2 metals + non-metal = ionic.

Reaction score
Group 1,2 metals + non-metal = ionic.
It's a misery.
Read wiki
covalent...it had a low mp given.....this is an exception of ionic boding....
UMAIMA, low melting point doesnt always mean COVALENT. Fyi, the bonds between ionic may be extremely strong and IONIC but the intermolecular forces may be weak causing them to have low M.P

As per our syllabus, we are not expected to learn that Metal+Non metal can be covalent as an exception. We are told to learn that Metal+Non metal= Ionic and non metal+n.metal=covalent.
Hence, I believe that they might accept both answers if they are wise enough since this is controversial or else be a fool and just accept EITHER ionic or covalent.

Hoping for the best, hope everyone achieve excellent marks. NO OFFENSE to anyone. I just presented my opinion.