• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

SHAB E BARAAT(authentic or not)?

Reaction score
okay here it is we all are told from the childhood that on this night the death and life planning is done like it is decided that who will die in upcoming year and who will stay alive and all that...but i just want to know how authentic are these sayings like only night i know which is mentioned in Quran is LAILA TUL QADR...so i just want some authentic references from Quran or Ahadis which can verify the authenticity of this night that it is really this night on which planning is done...like a reference from HAZRAT MOHAMMAD S.A.W life which can tell that sahaba karaam and Prophet himself prayed on this night every year e.t.c.....if anyone can clear my doubt i will be grateful to them :)

Reaction score
Month of shaban is one of the blessed months in Islamic year. This month brings with it lots of chances to earn reward and pleasure of ALLAH swt. MUHAMMAD s.a.w.w used to do worship and pray the most in this month, other than the month of Ramadan. In a hadith of bukhari, umul momineen hazrat Aiysha r.a. said that Prophet s.a.w.w used to fast in this month.Bukhari : Book 3 : Volume 31 : Hadith 190
Narrated 'Aisha: Allah's Apostle used to fast till one would say that he would never stop fasting, and he would abandon fasting till one would say that he would never fast. I never saw Allah's Apostle fasting for a whole month except the month of Ramadan, and did not see him fasting in any month more than in the month of Sha'ban.

Hence, the blessings of this month cannot be overlooked. But there have been introduced many bidaats (acts that have no place in quran and sunnah) in our religion in order to earn reward but these unjustified acts cannot invite any glad tidings or blessings from ALLAH swt, instead they are just prohibited acts, since MUHMMAD s.a.w.w said: “action which is not ordered by me is rejected in sight of ALLAH ” (Muslim: 1718). One such biddat is the invention of “shab-e baraat” on 15th of shaban. This night is no where seen celebrated by MUHAMMAD s.a.w.w as a blessed night but there are many people who support the truthfulness of this night by quoting the fabricated ahadith, through which they do not only visit graves but also worship the whole night by making it the night of “closing of the deeds register” and fasting.The famous weak hadith quoted by these people is given below, which is mentioned in ibn-e majah’s hadith collection and it’s proven as a weak hadith.

{Hadrat `Ali (RA ) reported that RasulAllah (SAWS) said: "When it is the fifteenth night of Sha'baan, observe prayer during the night and observe fast during the day; for Allâh (SWT) descends to the heaven of the world as the sun sets and says: Is there anyone to seek forgiveness so that I should forgive him? Is there anyone to seek sustenance so that I should provide him? Is there anyone in trouble so that I may relieve him? And so on and so forth, until the dawn breaks." [Ibn Mâjah]}But there is no single sahih hadith ever quoted in any sahih collection regarding 15th of shaban. The supporters of shab-e baraat quote a verse from hoyl quran regarding this night, which is the 4th verse of surah dukhan but that verse does not talk about the 15 shaban nowhere, instead, ibn-e kathir has mentioned in his tafsir of the forth verse of surah dukhan, surah qadar.

The 4th verse of surah dukhan talks about the same night i.e. the night of qadar, the night in which ALLAH swt started revealing Quran.

Let us see the first 3 verses of surah dukhan to decide what the two verse of surah dukhan talk about.

Surah dukhan: verse 2-4
“(I swear) By this manifest Book. Surely, We have revealed (this Quran) on a blessed night; so We are ever Warner with surety. Therein (this night) every affair is decided with full wisdom.”So by seeing the verse number 4 of in context of verse number 2 and 3, it is clear that there is no such thing like shab-e baraat and the evidences and logics presented by the pro-shab-e barat people are wrong and have no place in Islam. Plz correct me if I am wrong.........

Reaction score
There is also the fact that Allah descends on the first heavens every night.

Volume 2, Book 21, Number 246: Sahih Bukhari
Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) said, "Our Lord, the Blessed, the Superior, comes every night down on the nearest Heaven to us when the last third of the night remains, saying: "Is there anyone to invoke Me, so that I may respond to invocation? Is there anyone to ask Me, so that I may grant him his request? Is there anyone seeking My forgiveness, so that I may forgive him?"

Furthermore, i myself believe that our faith has become so weak that we have started resorted to these things. There are the blessed nights in the last ten days of Ramazan, but just thinking over it, do we really think that even if we do find the night of power in Ramazan, anything will change for us? Cuz we spend the rest of the year sinning and sometimes leaving even the obligatory Salah. Muslims have just started resorting to look for some support (and i myself am included in them)

There is this hadith

Sahih Al-Bukhari – Book 50 Hadith 894

Abu Huraira reported Prophet Muhammad SAW as saying:" Verily, there are ninety-nine names for Allah, i.e. hundred excepting one. He who enumerates them would get into Paradise. And Hammam has made this addition on the authority of Abu Huraira who reported it from Prophet Muhammad SAW that he said: “He is Odd (one) and loves odd number.”

Now i don't think a person who does not offer even Salah would enter paradise just because he has learned all the names of Allah.

Quran says:

"And they say, "Never will the Fire touch us, except for a few days." Say, "Have you taken a covenant with Allah ? For Allah will never break His covenant. Or do you say about Allah that which you do not know?" 2:80

That has become our problem, hasn't it? the thinking that we will eventually enter heaven after all, cuz we are muslims. And in the above verse, Allah openly says that he has not promised any such thing, and he is not bound to do this. May Allah provide us guidance.

Lastly if you wanna go in detail of shab e barat, my father recommended me a book "tafseer ibne kaseer" It is one of the earliest books of Islam, and covers the topic in detail, and how it is not authentic at all

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
1064416_476196122463439_290395368_o.png

^ THIS!

and for those who can read urdu... I've this:

1025606_173833622787536_711652407_o.jpg

996788_384170575016188_866099138_n.jpg

Allah s.w.t knows best...

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Misconceptions regarding Shab-e-barat (15th shaban) and their answers

Misconception # 1:
Allaah descends to the first heavens on this night to forgive us.

... Answer:
The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said: "Every night when it is the last third of the night, our Lord, the Superior, the Blessed, descends to the nearest heaven and says: Is there anyone to invoke Me that I may respond to his invocation? Is there anyone to ask Me so that I may grant him his request? Is there anyone asking My forgiveness so that I may forgive him?. " (Bukhari 1145,Muslim 1261)
===
Misconception # 2:
This is the night when our fate, lifespan, and provisions are decreed.

Answer:
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “When the drop of (semen) remains in the womb(of mother) for forty (days) or forty nights, the angel comes and says:
“My Lord, will he be good or evil?” And both these things would be written.
Then the angel says: “My Lord, would he be male or female?” And both these things are written.
And his deeds and actions, *his death*, his livelihood; these are also recorded. [Sahih Muslim Hadith 6392]
===
Misconception # 3:
Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on 15th shaban

Answer:
Prophet (peace be upon him) said “Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.” [Tirmidhi, 747; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1041. ]
===
Misconception # 4:
The night of the 15th of Shabaan should be singled out for special kinds of worship, prayer, etc. and they have a great reward

Answer:
There is no saheeh hadeeth concerning the night of the fifteenth of Shabaan.So this night is ordinary like other nights and the reward for praying/worshiping in this night will be the same as other nights
===
Misconception # 5:
Fasting on the day of 15th shaban has a special and great reward

Answer:
Fasting on 13th 14th 15th of every month is recommended not only on 15th shaban
Prophet (peace be upon him) said “If you fast any part of the month, then fast the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” [Tirmidhi, 761; al-Nasaa’i, 2424; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1038. ]
===
Misconception # 6:
This is the night when the souls of departed ones return to their families.

Answer:
This thing has no basis in quran or ahadith…. The souls can never return to this world. This is a fabrication and lie invented by people
===
Misconception # 7:
Look at all those people doing it. How can they all be wrong?

Answer:
Allah says, “And if you obey most of those in the earth, they will lead you astray from Allah's way; they follow but conjecture and they only lie.” [Al qur’an 6:116]
So this is a weak argument that majority of people do it and believe in it so it is true.

Reaction score
okay here it is we all are told from the childhood that on this night the death and life planning is done like it is decided that who will die in upcoming year and who will stay alive and all that...but i just want to know how authentic are these sayings like only night i know which is mentioned in Quran is LAILA TUL QADR...so i just want some authentic references from Quran or Ahadis which can verify the authenticity of this night that it is really this night on which planning is done...like a reference from HAZRAT MOHAMMAD S.A.W life which can tell that sahaba karaam and Prophet himself prayed on this night every year e.t.c.....if anyone can clear my doubt i will be grateful to them :)
Visit our Read Quran online... It may help you to find out the solution