• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Request Help with Answering P3 Physics Practical Skills

Reaction score
Question: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w13_qp_36.pdf

Marking Scheme: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w13_ms_36.pdf

7WIor.jpg

w13ur.jpg

Sorry for the small image.
Please answer those solve those questions with **** as I don't know what I am actually doing.

Any may I know the rules to apply when facing Paper 3?
Especially the number of sig. figures.

Reaction score
I've done this practical but unfortunately I'm not at home now, I'll get back to you when I get home :)

Reaction score
Well Im waitiing for your reply :)

Aw hell I totally forgot......I'm doing A2 this month so im sort of all over the place these days. Do you still need help? If so I'll post my answer script for u.

Reaction score
Aw hell I totally forgot......I'm doing A2 this month so im sort of all over the place these days. Do you still need help? If so I'll post my answer script for u.
Yep i totally would . If you kind enough to post it

Reaction score
For the last two questions better to refer to the marking schemes. Oh and u need to draw a table for each set of recordings, jst noticed that I hvnt for sme!

Reaction score
For the last two questions better to refer to the marking schemes. Oh and u need to draw a table for each set of recordings, jst noticed that I hvnt for sme!
for every set of recordings? that would take a lot of time!
and if the p.d is 11%, does it still not support?

Reaction score
for every set of recordings? that would take a lot of time!
and if the p.d is 11%, does it still not support?
Yep, for every set and it isnt as daunting as it sounds. Just draw the table before u start taking the readings. I know some kids dont do it but my sir always advises us to, it looks neat too.

Nupe, it should be less than 10%, I think there's a big theory behind it but obviously we werent told, so I've no clue other than the fact that the relationship suggested is false if it exceeds 10%.

Reaction score
Yep, for every set and it isnt as daunting as it sounds. Just draw the table before u start taking the readings. I know some kids dont do it but my sir always advises us to, it looks neat too.

Nupe, it should be less than 10%, I think there's a big theory behind it but obviously we werent told, so I've no clue other than the fact that the relationship suggested is false if it exceeds 10%.
Do I have to repeat it 3 times or are 2 times sufficient? I do 2 and I noticed you repeat it 3 times. Also, a question, we always use k1/k2 to prove a theory yeah? like I mean for any minor experiment we always get k1/k2 to see if the theory is correct? are there experiments where we have to do smth else to see if the theory is correct?

Reaction score
Do I have to repeat it 3 times or are 2 times sufficient? I do 2 and I noticed you repeat it 3 times. Also, a question, we always use k1/k2 to prove a theory yeah? like I mean for any minor experiment we always get k1/k2 to see if the theory is correct? are there experiments where we have to do smth else to see if the theory is correct?
2 times is alright but I've seen most marking schemes prefer 3 and I've seen sme do 6 times for oscillation practicals to reduce reaction time, my advice stick to 3 readings unless u r super fast when u do practicals.

And nope, k1/k2 is the one we use for practicals, I've never come across anything other than that!

Reaction score
2 times is alright but I've seen most marking schemes prefer 3 and I've seen sme do 6 times for oscillation practicals to reduce reaction time, my advice stick to 3 readings unless u r super fast when u do practicals.

And nope, k1/k2 is the one we use for practicals, I've never come across anything other than that!
Thank you so much man! and in Q2 in exams they say to do it 3 times? damn alright guess ill do some research and get back at you

Reaction score

btw can you show me your answers to a major question? (Q1) I want to see the table and the way of answering, the graph doesnt matter but if you can send that as well i'll be thankful:)

Reaction score
Thank you so much man! and in Q2 in exams they say to do it 3 times? damn alright guess ill do some research and get back at you

U r welcome and marking schemes doesnt state any number for the repeats, it says and I quote "evidence of repeat measurements", mostly for practicals on oscillations. My sirs...yep plural, I went for two practical classes...were the ones who said so. Actually one sir said to do upto 6 times and the other said to do upto 3 times, as u can see I went with the easier option!lol

Reaction score
btw can you show me your answers to a major question? (Q1) I want to see the table and the way of answering, the graph doesnt matter but if you can send that as well i'll be thankful:)

Yea sure, ill try to post one today!

Reaction score
Yea sure, ill try to post one today!
thanks
and ill probably do 2 and if i have time in the end ill do the 3rd of each
and btw shouldnt you write the average in the table? as in 4th after 3rd reading should say average then the value

Reaction score
thanks
and ill probably do 2 and if i have time in the end ill do the 3rd of each
and btw shouldnt you write the average in the table? as in 4th after 3rd reading should say average then the value

Its not a must considering that the examiner knows that your final answer is the averaged one but there are no restrictions on that sort of thing so if you feel its the best to put it there, do it!

And here are two Q1s. Post if you have doubts but I wont be able to get to the them as quickly as I did before k coz I've got the A2 exams coming up :).

20151010_100811.jpg 20151010_100847.jpg 20151010_100907.jpg 20151010_100926.jpg 20151010_101012.jpg 20151010_101026.jpg 20151010_101043.jpg 20151010_101057.jpg

Reaction score
Its not a must considering that the examiner knows that your final answer is the averaged one but there are no restrictions on that sort of thing so if you feel its the best to put it there, do it!

And here are two Q1s. Post if you have doubts but I wont be able to get to the them as quickly as I did before k coz I've got the A2 exams coming up :).

View attachment 57192 View attachment 57193 View attachment 57194 View attachment 57195 View attachment 57196 View attachment 57197 View attachment 57198 View attachment 57199

Thanks so much :)

Reaction score

View attachment 57192 View attachment 57193 View attachment 57194 View attachment 57195 View attachment 57196 View attachment 57197 View attachment 57198 View attachment 57199
Oh one last thing! which readings should i repeat and which i shouldnt? my teacher wouldve told me to repeat h in this experiment