• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PSYCHOLOGY AS EXAM???

Reaction score
can you tell me how to write the alternative study question

Well there was this website aicepsychology they had examples of alternative studies so I got some from there and got the general idea of how to write them. The mark schemes tell you all the things you need to include such as the type of samples experiments, etc etc so make sure them bullet points are in your fingertips so that you can address all of them and adequately answer the questions. Furthermore check out the website psy tutor weebly, just type that on google and it'll be the first link. It's an alevel website for cie psychology students and I trust you will find it helpful. Furthermore if you have the psychology revision guide then that's excellent because it's an excellent summary for all of it, however even if you don't have it you can still score an A as I did also without it in AS

Reaction score
Well there was this website aicepsychology they had examples of alternative studies so I got some from there and got the general idea of how to write them. The mark schemes tell you all the things you need to include such as the type of samples experiments, etc etc so make sure them bullet points are in your fingertips so that you can address all of them and adequately answer the questions. Furthermore check out the website psy tutor weebly, just type that on google and it'll be the first link. It's an alevel website for cie psychology students and I trust you will find it helpful. Furthermore if you have the psychology revision guide then that's excellent because it's an excellent summary for all of it, however even if you don't have it you can still score an A as I did also without it in AS
yes i have checked those websites and i also have a revised book, but the thing im confused about is that are we supposed to give a full alternative study like in detail or just answer who,what,how,when,where questions about it? how long should the answer be?

Reaction score
yes i have checked those websites and i also have a revised book, but the thing im confused about is that are we supposed to give a full alternative study like in detail or just answer who,what,how,when,where questions about it? how long should the answer be?

Yes we are suppose to give it in full detail. Basically look at it as instructions for another person to carry out. Who, what where and how are the 4 main principals to keep in your mind. Decide what they and explain each one according to your idea. I think my answer was about a page but I'm not too sure as I can't remember but I do remember trying to include all the things like how I would collect Info for example using closed questions in an interview or questionnaire etc etc. remember the alternative study should not be too different from the original at all, it should be exactly the same just with a slightly different procedure

Reaction score
Yes we are suppose to give it in full detail. Basically look at it as instructions for another person to carry out. Who, what where and how are the 4 main principals to keep in your mind. Decide what they and explain each one according to your idea. I think my answer was about a page but I'm not too sure as I can't remember but I do remember trying to include all the things like how I would collect Info for example using closed questions in an interview or questionnaire etc etc. remember the alternative study should not be too different from the original at all, it should be exactly the same just with a slightly different procedure
hmmm so E.g if the study of milgram(obedience) comes and they say design it with self report. So what are we suppose to do? design a new study with the same aim or just change the observation part to self report?

Reaction score
hmmm so E.g if the study of milgram(obedience) comes and they say design it with self report. So what are we suppose to do? design a new study with the same aim or just change the observation part to self report?

It MUST be the same aim. All the alternative study means is how can you measure the same thing I.e in this case obedience using a self report. Bus. You just need to change the method but the basic dependant variable I.e what you are measuring must be the same. So your designing the same study but with a different way of collecting and measuring the aim. That's all. You know the aim and you know what you have to measure so all you have to do is apply another way if basically gathering information however whatever way you pick it MUST be measuring the Obedience shown

Reaction score
It MUST be the same aim. All the alternative study means is how can you measure the same thing I.e in this case obedience using a self report. Bus. You just need to change the method but the basic dependant variable I.e what you are measuring must be the same. So your designing the same study but with a different way of collecting and measuring the aim. That's all. You know the aim and you know what you have to measure so all you have to do is apply another way if basically gathering information however whatever way you pick it MUST be measuring the Obedience shown
okay soo we can design it in anyway the question requires but it has to be in such a way that the aim is the same... thank you for your help really appreciate it :)