• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Private candidates in Saudi?

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Are there any people around here on this forum who have sat for their IGCSEs/O Levels/AS and/or A2 Levels as private candidates in Saudi Arabia?

If so, where did you sit for your exams? How did you register for them? Through the British Council? What about subjects that involve Practical (exams or learning in practical environments)? How did you learn for them? Did you take the Alternative to Practical Paper or what? Is there any school where I can go to and ask them permission to use their labortaries for a few hours per week/month under supervision? If yes, how much does such an arrangement cost? And do you have to show them proof that you have registered for the exams or not?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I wanted to put them all in one post so you can have a clear idea of what I exactly want. And if you have any tips/ideas for me, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.

If anybody is wondering why I'm asking all of these questions; I was homeschooled for all of my studying life, and I wanted to join a school here in Jeddah but none of them would accept me at all!

Thanks,
Bouchra

Reaction score
I am currently doing IGCSE as a private candidate. I registered through the British council and as for the practical exam we can't give them but u can go for the alternate to practical for Bio, chem and physics. I learned for them through private tutors and used the syllabus outline as a guide. I don't think any school would permit u to use there laboratories thats why u would have to go for the alternate to practical.

Reaction score
Adorkableme said:
I am currently doing IGCSE as a private candidate. I registered through the British council and as for the practical exam we can't give them but u can go for the alternate to practical for Bio, chem and physics. I learned for them through private tutors and used the syllabus outline as a guide. I don't think any school would permit u to use there laboratories thats why u would have to go for the alternate to practical.

Yeah, I know we can't sit for the Practical, but I just wanted to know how you studied for the Alternative to Practical Paper.

Don't you need to do the practical work as part of your studies so that you can answer the Qs even in the Alt. paper?

And where do you sit for your exams? In the British Council or at a certain school? Have you applied for the International Certificate of Education through CIE also?

What subjects are you allowed to do? Only the ones on the list at the British Council? What are the fees for the exams?

Thanks for taking your time to answer my Qs.

Reaction score
Bouchra said:
Adorkableme said:

Yeah, I know we can't sit for the Practical, but I just wanted to know how you studied for the Alternative to Practical Paper.

Don't you need to do the practical work as part of your studies so that you can answer the Qs even in the Alt. paper?

And where do you sit for your exams? In the British Council or at a certain school? Have you applied for the International Certificate of Education through CIE also?

What subjects are you allowed to do? Only the ones on the list at the British Council? What are the fees for the exams?

As Far As Alt. To Practicals are concerned its like paper 3 all written but easy unlike theory and you can learn it easily by the help of tutor or your self-studies,

British Council will register you to some school in which they like to have thier center you dont have to go to british council to give your exams except few (Eng Speaking and Listening.etc)

Subjects depend on your choice there are more than 20 subjects which you can choose.As well as british council will provide you a list of subjects whenever you will ask them or you will submit your IGCSE / A level form.

For IGCSE per subject 550 SAR with admission fees 75 riyals Included and for A levels 800 sumthing. This also You can confirm from british council.

And from where you're in Saudi Arabia?

I hope I helped you. :)
If any thing else needed you're free to pm me.

Regards,

Reaction score
Ali4lyf said:
Bouchra said:
Adorkableme said:

As Far As Alt. To Practicals are concerned its like paper 3 all written but easy unlike theory and you can learn it easily by the help of tutor or your self-studies,

British Council will register you to some school in which they like to have thier center you dont have to go to british council to give your exams except few (Eng Speaking and Listening.etc)

Subjects depend on your choice there are more than 20 subjects which you can choose.As well as british council will provide you a list of subjects whenever you will ask them or you will submit your IGCSE / A level form.

For IGCSE per subject 550 SAR with admission fees 75 riyals Included and for A levels 800 sumthing. This also You can confirm from british council.

And from where you're in Saudi Arabia?

I hope I helped you. :)
If any thing else needed you're free to pm me.

Regards,

English Language has Speaking and Listening too?! :shock: I thought it was only 2 papers, Reading Passages & Directed and Continous Writing.

I know that CIE has around 70 subjects, but not all of them are on the British Council's list. Does that mean that I can't do it here in Saudi?

I mentioned that in the first post. I'm in Jeddah.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my Qs.

Reaction score
give me your hotmail or skype id I will tell you with details.

Regards

Reaction score
Ali4lyf said:

Regards

I'm afraid I can't. You'll have to tell me the details here. Thanks, anyway for the details you already gave me.

Reaction score
Bouchra said:
Ali4lyf said:

Regards

I'm afraid I can't. You'll have to tell me the details here. Thanks, anyway for the details you already gave me.

hhahaa I wont eat your ID lolx.. =)

Reaction score
Ali4lyf said:
Bouchra said:
Ali4lyf said:

Regards

hhahaa I wont eat your ID lolx.. =)

IDs cannot be eaten. And that isn't the reason, anyway. Thanks for the details you already gave me. If you want to add any other details you can add them here. There is no point in my giving you my ID anyway.

Reaction score
to get the list of subjects u can go to the British council..its in Farsi center in Jeddah.
You have to tell them u are a private candidate, they give u a list of subjects choose from them. It is a little different for the school going students because they get to choose from the subjects which only their school is offering, depends on the school (not all school give all subjects).I think they are around 50 subjects but if the subject u want is not on the list it means its not offered to private candidates in the country.
For English..I think all candidates go to the British council..they tell u the date themselves...the listening is also in the British council. Only the writing paper is in a CIE Center. This year the center was Pakistan International School (English section) for girls and Thamer international for boys. all the private girls candidate go the Pakistan International and boys to Thamer.

I hope this helps. Let me know if u need anything else.

Reaction score
Adorkableme said:
to get the list of subjects u can go to the British council..its in Farsi center in Jeddah.
You have to tell them u are a private candidate, they give u a list of subjects choose from them. It is a little different for the school going students because they get to choose from the subjects which only their school is offering, depends on the school (not all school give all subjects).I think they are around 50 subjects but if the subject u want is not on the list it means its not offered to private candidates in the country.
For English..I think all candidates go to the British council..they tell u the date themselves...the listening is also in the British council. Only the writing paper is in a CIE Center. This year the center was Pakistan International School (English section) for girls and Thamer international for boys. all the private girls candidate go the Pakistan International and boys to Thamer.

When you say English, do you mean 1st Language or 2nd Language English?

What about exam timings? CIE just says Morning Sessions and Evening Sessions. When are they held usually?

Thanks a lot for the info = ) Do the centres change every session or every year?

Reaction score
Bouchra said:
Adorkableme said:

When you say English, do you mean 1st Language or 2nd Language English?

What about exam timings? CIE just says Morning Sessions and Evening Sessions. When are they held usually?

Thanks a lot for the info = ) Do the centres change every session or every year?

English can be both first or second lang.
timings are set and they let u know two weeks earlier..u can call them but they usually give u a sheet which has all the info about the center and timings.. The center usually changes every 2-3 years depends on which school is able to cope with the number of students. they tell u everything .....u can call them or they will just call u and tell u to come gt ur statement of entry ....its like an ID which gets u in and out of the examination room. Along with the statement of entry they will give u the instruction paper as well. if sumthing is unclear u can ask them.

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Are there any people around here on this forum who have sat for their IGCSEs/O Levels/AS and/or A2 Levels as private candidates in Saudi Arabia?

If so, where did you sit for your exams? How did you register for them? Through the British Council? What about subjects that involve Practical (exams or learning in practical environments)? How did you learn for them? Did you take the Alternative to Practical Paper or what? Is there any school where I can go to and ask them permission to use their labortaries for a few hours per week/month under supervision? If yes, how much does such an arrangement cost? And do you have to show them proof that you have registered for the exams or not?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I wanted to put them all in one post so you can have a clear idea of what I exactly want. And if you have any tips/ideas for me, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.

If anybody is wondering why I'm asking all of these questions; I was homeschooled for all of my studying life, and I wanted to join a school here in Jeddah but none of them would accept me at all!

Thanks,
Bouchra
Hi, Bouchra
Came across your story of being homeschooled just now and i couldn't help but feel sad about it as i'm now disheartened as my boys can't be accepted in affordable schools here in Jeddah. They're 13 & 14 and i can't say they r low-brow or dull because they have been to two other international schools before. The last school they'd been to required them to study the difficult Arabic instead of the easy one for non-Arabs (My kids r Pakistanis as my hubby is Pakistani,too.) But i heard this ins't the case in other international schools so i figured that must have been their only way of getting rid of my kids. Anyway. we have applied to other schools here in Azizia, but without success. It's either my sons failed their entry exams or there aren't any seats anymore 4 them. I felt like i wanted to open my own school! LOL. So we went to Global & Wadi. My kids passed the tests, but the schools r out of our price range. So I'm thinking of homeschooling them but i'm worried that without a high school diploma (even if they'll have IGCSEs), they might not be aceepted in the universities of their choice in the future.

Umm Ayman

Reaction score
Hi, Bouchra
Came across your story of being homeschooled just now and i couldn't help but feel sad about it as i'm now disheartened as my boys can't be accepted in affordable schools here in Jeddah. They're 13 & 14 and i can't say they r low-brow or dull because they have been to two other international schools before. The last school they'd been to required them to study the difficult Arabic instead of the easy one for non-Arabs (My kids r Pakistanis as my hubby is Pakistani,too.) But i heard this ins't the case in other international schools so i figured that must have been their only way of getting rid of my kids. Anyway. we have applied to other schools here in Azizia, but without success. It's either my sons failed their entry exams or there aren't any seats anymore 4 them. I felt like i wanted to open my own school! LOL. So we went to Global & Wadi. My kids passed the tests, but the schools r out of our price range. So I'm thinking of homeschooling them but i'm worried that without a high school diploma (even if they'll have IGCSEs), they might not be aceepted in the universities of their choice in the future.

Umm Ayman

Salam

I am also doing my O levels privately from Jubail and as far as I know home schooling doesnt have any impact on the chances of being accepted in any university. The only thing they want is grade and IGCSE and A levels certificate are equal to any high school diploma. You can find good tuition teachers in your area and many institutes in Pakistan are also providing the facility of online classes. The teachers are good and cooperative Insha Allah your children would be able to have a good result. I know one institute which provides online classes from pakistan if you want its contact info then let me know.............. hope that helps :)

Reaction score
Salam

I am also doing my O levels privately from Jubail and as far as I know home schooling doesnt have any impact on the chances of being accepted in any university. The only thing they want is grade and IGCSE and A levels certificate are equal to any high school diploma. You can find good tuition teachers in your area and many institutes in Pakistan are also providing the facility of online classes. The teachers are good and cooperative Insha Allah your children would be able to have a good result. I know one institute which provides online classes from pakistan if you want its contact info then let me know.............. hope that helps :)

salam everyone,

i'm doin my IGCSE's privetely in jeddah :) so could you tell me about that institutes that provide online classes :) that would be of great help :) thanks

regards

Reaction score
Salam

I am also doing my O levels privately from Jubail and as far as I know home schooling doesnt have any impact on the chances of being accepted in any university. The only thing they want is grade and IGCSE and A levels certificate are equal to any high school diploma. You can find good tuition teachers in your area and many institutes in Pakistan are also providing the facility of online classes. The teachers are good and cooperative Insha Allah your children would be able to have a good result. I know one institute which provides online classes from Pakistan if you want its contact info then let me know.............. hope that helps :)

Salam, MMK95. Thanks for the info. Alhamdulillah, my boys have been accepted in schools here. However, i'm still considering making my firstborn become a private candidate next year instead of doing grade 10 and onwards at school. I still believe he can learn much more and hence, more prepared for the IGs than being at school (considering the quality of education here). Thanks again and good day! Best of luck to your studying!

Cheers,
Umm Ayman

Reaction score
plz can I know which schools allows practical classes for private candidates in as level