• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Preparing for the SAT Reasoning Test

NIM

Reaction score
u have to check collegeboard website for that

Centres can change on monthly basis so check their website and see for islamabad. Register early

Make sure ur passsport IS NOT EXPIRED
THERE SHOULD BE NO DIFFERENCE IN NAME ON PASSPORT AND WHAT U ENTER ONLINE DURING REGISTRATION

Do the collegeboard one and princeton review first
If you still want to do more practise then barrons (its the hardest and the paper is usually not that difficult)
Do princeton review word smart for the words. Doing Word smart 1 is a must, 2 is your choice

Ive got two ebooks
http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/attachments/grammarfocus-pdf.17007/
http://www.xtremepapers.com/community/attachments/grammar-pdf.17006/

SAT essay
Im quoting a senior about the advice he gave me about SAT essay (ive edited it a bit)
"""alright, first thing you need to think about is that in the SAT, people who fill in BOTH sides of the essay sheet fully, and I mean till the very last line, have a significantly higher chance of scoring a 9+ than those who don't. I doubt this particular essay is sufficiently long. lengthen it, I'm sure you have more argumentation/ examples to add. learn to fill in both sheets within the 20 odd minutes you get for the essay.

I like how you've given both sides of the story (agreeing and disagreeing with the topic) and then chosen to give your conclusion in the end. This pattern is critical; stick to it. It's always smart to give both sides of the story in the essay. But right now, your paragraphs are a blotch of arguments and essays arranged in an amorphous way. I'd like for you to state the argument, flesh it out with plenty of analysis and then explicitly quote examples. Also, the examples you quote are general. Although they will do fine, it'll help your cause even more to add some degree of specificity to them (a company that was involved in price fixing, maybe? Saying that companies fix prices without giving examples is a bit vague)
Also, if you've given one example from everyday happenings, it'd help to give one from literature, one from history, etc. (two literature examples or two history examples won't be as beneficial)"""

Personal examples are the least preferred. History and literature are the best. 4-5 paragraphs
1 intro
2 and possibly 3 agreeing with statement
3 and/or 4 disagreeing with statement
5 is conclusion. Conclusion can be like I agree to the topic to this extent but i dont agree with this

For example a conclusion can be ......"I agree with people enjoying personal freedoms BUT i disapprove that freedom should be given to such an extent that it interferes with other people's freedom..... "

I wont honestly recommend any books for essay. Practise 3-5 essays, show it to seniors. Focus on Maths and Reading and other things mainly
Thank you so much... it was so helpful
i havn't started preparing for SAT so if i start preparing in june so when should i appear for SAT... rite now m in grade 11...

Reaction score
Thank you so much... it was so helpful
i havn't started preparing for SAT so if i start preparing in june so when should i appear for SAT... rite now m in grade 11...
ideally 2 months should be a good time for prep

BUT be warned usually you get 200 lower in the first try than in ur 2nd try. Its something quite common which ive seen. So try to give SAT in two sessions spaced by 1-2 months at least

Although sometimes a score dips as well

NIM

Reaction score

BUT be warned usually you get 200 lower in the first try than in ur 2nd try. Its something quite common which ive seen. So try to give SAT in two sessions spaced by 1-2 months at least

Thank u very much!!

Reaction score

so if i want to give Sat in sep or october session i start ny midjune i will have enough time? and i want to give subject tests of SAT so i should give the one i think i am best at then then the other two in another seesion. help will be apreciated. thanks in advance:);)

Reaction score
A little help on the mathematics section. I was wondering if there are any common tricks to save time :(

Reaction score
Hi/Aoa.
I'm giving my SAT 1 in oct, IA along with AS, and studying for it is a huge hassle. -.-
I have a few questions regarding the 'English Section'...
Q1. Am I supposed to know ALL of the words? (Its pretty much impossible)
Q2. Should I memorize tHe words first, or shud directly start solving the questions? <<Yes, I know my IQ Level showed right here in this question, but again, the WORDS ARE TOO MUCH!

Q3. Since I'm giving my SAT 1, 2 years b4 entering uni., am I supposed to give it again later on?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Ws,

A1. No, but you do need to know whether a certain word has negative or positive meaning. And there are certain tricks that you need to learn. For example, you might know the meaning of some words but not understand how to use them in certain sentences. Hence, a complete failure.
Look to see if the definition of a word is in the sentence, or if the sentence wants words that are similar or contrasting by watching out for key words such as “although”, “however,” “like”, etc.
A2. There are several other tricks which you would only be able to learn once you start practicing. So yes, do both simultaneously. Practice and learn.
A3. It's 1 year before Uni. You apply to Universities while you are enrolled in A2. And no, it doesn't make any difference whether you take the test one or two years before you apply for admission in colleges.

All the best.

Reaction score
Ws,

A1. No, but you do need to know whether a certain word has negative or positive meaning. And there are certain tricks that you need to learn. For example, you might know the meaning of some words but not understand how to use them in certain sentences. Hence, a complete failure.
Look to see if the definition of a word is in the sentence, or if the sentence wants words that are similar or contrasting by watching out for key words such as “although”, “however,” “like”, etc.
A2. There are several other tricks which you would only be able to learn once you start practicing. So yes, do both simultaneously. Practice and learn.
A3. It's 1 year before Uni. You apply to Universities while you are enrolled in A2. And no, it doesn't make any difference whether you take the test one or two years before you apply for admission in colleges.

All the best.

I see. Thank you very much! :)

Reaction score
This is going to be a looong post, but, here goes:

I decided to give the SAt in July. I got registered for the upcoming Oct session and started prepping. I read most of Barrons and Princeton. I got an 1800 in my diagnostic test (before prepping, that is)
After that Ive solved a total of 12 tests
4 from Princeton: 1950, 1970, 2030, 2070
5 from Barrons: 2130, 2090, 2220, 2080
3 from The Official SAT study guide: 2020, 2180, 2060

Im pretty disturbed because my stores arent consistent. Im awful at critical reading. Grammar sections are unpredictable. Ive memorized only 480 vocabulary words although people go up to 1000. I wasted my vacations and now feel extremely overworked (because of A2s pressure and other commitments)
Also, I heard all the books Ive studied so far are no match for the actual sat test. Is that true? I can't spare more than 3 hours a day for the SAT. WHAT DO I DO?

Lastly, should I get Princeton Review's 11 real SAT tests? And, most importantly, has anyone downloaded real SAT past papers?
Nibz.. help please?

Reaction score
I'm currently in the first year of my A levels and plan to pursue a degree in computer science in the future. I have 4 subjects in A levels which are Math, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I have a few questions regarding the SAT:
1. What is the ideal time to give the SAT and when should I register for it?
2. For how long are our SAT scores valid?
3. Which SAT subject tests should I give(if any)?
4. Can I study for the SAT by myself or is a teacher really needed?
Help will be appreciated!

Reaction score
I'm currently in the first year of my A levels and plan to pursue a degree in computer science in the future. I have 4 subjects in A levels which are Math, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I have a few questions regarding the SAT:
1. What is the ideal time to give the SAT and when should I register for it?
2. For how long are our SAT scores valid?
3. Which SAT subject tests should I give(if any)?
4. Can I study for the SAT by myself or is a teacher really needed?
Help will be appreciated!
1. Cant say. A few people take a trial in January. Others give it in A2 (in Oct) with full prep (which isnt the case when it comes to me :p)
2. 2years Ive heard
3. Any two of Math, Physics and Chemistry- giving all 3 is a more common option
4. Depends. Take a diagnostic test and decide for yourself :)

Reaction score
I am in A1 right now.
I want to ask if I will be able to prepare for SAT side by side as A-levels pretty difficult and I am mostly free on weekends. Will I be able to appear for SAT and score well this way?

Reaction score
Guys I have a few confusions regarding the SAT. Can someone please help me:
1. I am in AS level currently and I plan to give the SAT on January 25th 2014. Are 3 months enough for preparation?
2. Is a teacher really needed or can I study myself?
3. Is there any benefit of giving the SAT if I don’t plan to go to a USA university?

Reaction score
Have a few questions regarding the SAT online registration:
1. I'm currently in AS so what should be my 'High school graduation date"' and 'expected graduation date'?
2. Are all those questions regarding extracurriculars, college majors etc really imp? I mean will they by any way affect registration?
3. How long will the SAT scores remain valid?

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good sat score calculator online? like a practice test online where they calculate your score online instead of us having to take the average and do it with that?

Reaction score
people is it possible to prepare for the SAT 1 reasoning test in one and a half month ?

and for those who have done A level math ...is it possible to complete UNDERSTANDING and completing the course of a level math in two months ??
plss reply soon

Reaction score
Please can anyone give the word list and the timetable to follow if I've sat and a levels together!! Please help