• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pre released material/Scientific article June 2014 (A2 biology EDEXCEL)

Reaction score
Here are the answers to the first lot of questions we were given. Let me know if some don't make sense as they were just the marking points that ew were given. Some might take a bit of expalining. I will try and post the second lot if we get them and have gone through them in class.
thanks soo much:D

Reaction score
Hey how did u guys answer this question of IAL scientific article??
1) Would you expect to see a difference in the % incidence of A1AT deficiency between males and females? Why? (2)
The answer is already given by one of the members of xtremepapers...but I am not getting the answer cz I dont know how we come up to this answer? Because there is nothing mentioned about whether it has sth to do with the gender in para 14.....I am not getting it... :S Not even one clue is given about the genders and all

Reaction score
Hey how did u guys answer this question of IAL scientific article??
1) Would you expect to see a difference in the % incidence of A1AT deficiency between males and females? Why? (2)
The answer is already given by one of the members of xtremepapers...but I am not getting the answer cz I dont know how we come up to this answer? Because there is nothing mentioned about whether it has sth to do with the gender in para 14.....I am not getting it... :S Not even one clue is given about the genders and all
can u give me the link to the question if i can solve them i ll help u then.

Reaction score
This is something we were given to help us prepare with this - it isn't menat to be the questions you will get, but just something to help us think about the other topics that may come up. Hope its useful.

this is a question regarding the article
in para 10 (IAL one) it says that there is a rare genetic tendency to develop COPD called A1AT deficiency
why is rare?
any responses will be highly appreciated
thanks alot

Reaction score
this is a question regarding the article
in para 10 (IAL one) it says that there is a rare genetic tendency to develop COPD called A1AT deficiency
why is rare?
any responses will be highly appreciated
thanks alot
anything is rare when very little of it is present:). very few people may have a1at deficiency thats why it is rare or the chance to get a1at deficiency is very very less so its rare.
hope that helps(y)

Reaction score
Nice questions and thank you for posting it here. You didn't include any question about :
-Risk, benefit and ethical issue related to the various method of treating COPD
-Gene therapy / genetic engineering
-Gene mutation and it effect on protien
-Gene expression and protein synthesis
------
Do you have any idea of possible questions that could come up in the exam related to the things you have listed above.... and any answers to them ....
Thanks in advance!!!

Reaction score
A list of recommended revision topics for the Edexcel A2 Biology, Unit 5 Scientific Article:
  • Inflammation
  • The respiratory tract, gas exchange and ventilation
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • The immune system
  • Phagocytosis
  • Enzymes
  • Continuous and discontinuous genetic variation
  • Genetics
  • Mutations
  • Gene expression
  • Applications of genetics
  • Spirometer use