• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Post your AS-Level Mathematics (P1 and M1) doubts here.

Reaction score
Can't we just integrate the distance without any limits, putting o as the constant and add the distance moved in the first time interval to the equation formed? Can you please try and see if it works

Just adding that does not work

Reaction score
Why not? I mean it moves that much distance in the first 60 seconds, and then for any time after that, we add the second formula to it by subtracting 60 from it...no?
Also could explain q7 from this: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Mathematics (9709)/9709_s12_qp_41.pdf
You can use the limits of 0 to 60 on the first equation and 60 onwards on the second equation and add the two together and it would give you the correct answer. However, you can not just use what you get by putting 60 into the equation and using it as C. You have to equate it to the second equation first. Otherwise, all you will be doing is putting in values of time that are less than 60 into the second equation, to which it is not applicable yet.

Reaction score
You can use the limits of 0 to 60 on the first equation and 60 onwards on the second equation and add the two together and it would give you the correct answer. However, you can not just use what you get by putting 60 into the equation and using it as C. You have to equate it to the second equation first. Otherwise, all you will be doing is putting in values of time that are less than 60 into the second equation, to which it is not applicable yet.
I don't understand...it will be the constant of the second equation because at time= 60 s, that will be the distance, and the distance after that can be calculated by plugging in the values of x-60 into the integration of the second equation
Could you PLEASE do q7

Reaction score
I don't understand...it will be the constant of the second equation because at time= 60 s, that will be the distance, and the distance after that can be calculated by plugging in the values of x-60 into the integration of the second equation
Could you PLEASE do q7
That is exactly what i am saying. Let's not talk about the constant. If you wanna do the question by seperately plugging in values in the equation, just use 0 to 60 for first equation. 60 on wards for the second equation and then add the two.
However, if you want to use the second equation only, and want to use time from 0 to 60 too, which is not applicable to it yet, you will have to first get the displacement in the first 60 seconds from the first equation. Let us call it X. Now you will integerate the second equation, without limits meaning there would be a constant. You will put in 60 in this equation, and equate it to X. You will get the value of C. Now, you can insert any value in this second equation

Reaction score
Okay I got it. But in the question. I just posted, in 7(2) theyre assuming that the vertical component of the tention in A is moving up just because the ring is about to move up...but how can that be when the tention in A is pointing toward the ring?

Reaction score
That is exactly what i am saying. Let's not talk about the constant. If you wanna do the question by seperately plugging in values in the equation, just use 0 to 60 for first equation. 60 on wards for the second equation and then add the two.
However, if you want to use the second equation only, and want to use time from 0 to 60 too, which is not applicable to it yet, you will have to first get the displacement in the first 60 seconds from the first equation. Let us call it X. Now you will integerate the second equation, without limits meaning there would be a constant. You will put in 60 in this equation, and equate it to X. You will get the value of C. Now, you can insert any value in this second equation
We equate the equations to each other because they're supposed to give the same value of displacement at t=60 right? I just don't understand what the constant represents then? What if they ask us an akin question in the exam, asking us what is denoted by c

Reaction score
Yes, would like them if its not too much of an ask. Do you have for stats 1 too? or mech 1? or pure 3? :D

Thanks in advance!

hey
srry for being late but i was extremely busy with my exams
i will mail u some of the available files and u cal always inbox me or tell me about ur doubts and i can help u with them for (P4 , P3 , P6 )
btw how was ur paper 1 ???
:)

Thanks man it really helped and can I inbox u so that u can solve my further doubts if you don't mind
man again i was busy with my exams
if u have any doubts in mechanics or P3 or P6 just inbox me :)
btw how was ur exam P1 ??
:)

Reaction score
Can you send it to me please ? :)
Srry for being late but i was extremely busy with my exams
if u wish i help u some of the available files and u can always inbox me or tell me about ur doubts and i can help u with them for (P4 , P3 , P6 )
btw how was ur paper 1 ???