• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics reasonable estimates? :/

Reaction score
Okay so there's this question in Oct/Nov 2010 paper 23.
Q: Make estimates.
a) thickness of a sheet of paper
b) time for sound to travel 100m in air.
c) the weight of 1000cm^3 of water

part b can be easily calculated but HOW THE HELL do we do parts a) and c) ??
PLEASE HELP!! :(

Reaction score
u need to estimate!
paper shud be like 0.5 mm or something like that
1000 cm^3 of water is 1 litre which is about 1 Kg I guess

Reaction score
thickness = about 0.5mm
and the weight is easy as well 1000cm^3 = 1000g = 1kg
nd the weight of 1 kg is 1*9.81=9.81N
easy enugh :p

Reaction score
I hate estimations. Its pretty damn easy to make a mistake here. Just common sense and experience i guess. But make sure you go through the frequencies and wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum. They are usually quite problematic. :good:

Reaction score
They don't always have a huge range. For thickness, the range is from 0.05 to 0.15mm and the weight of 1000cm^3 of water should be between 8 and 10N. But yeah if the ask us to estimate the frequencies and wavelengths of the electomagnetic spectrum, then it's all good but if they ask us something random like ' the number of gas molecules in a room', I'll pull my hair out. :/ :(

Reaction score
Mssamgirl15 said:
They don't always have a huge range. For thickness, the range is from 0.05 to 0.15mm and the weight of 1000cm^3 of water should be between 8 and 10N. But yeah if the ask us to estimate the frequencies and wavelengths of the electomagnetic spectrum, then it's all good but if they ask us something random like ' the number of gas molecules in a room', I'll pull my hair out. :/ :(
No kiddin raiet :D but no, they dont ask stuff like that! *pause* i HOPE thet don't :p

Reaction score
Its like, every paper has 1 hour 15 minutes, and to top it all off, PHYSICS has ONE hour only!

Reaction score
I knowwww. One hour is nothing. Physics should actually get more time since it requires extensive thinking. :mad:

Reaction score
Mssamgirl15 said:
Okay so there's this question in Oct/Nov 2010 paper 23.
Q: Make estimates.
a) thickness of a sheet of paper
b) time for sound to travel 100m in air.
c) the weight of 1000cm^3 of water

part b can be easily calculated but HOW THE HELL do we do parts a) and c) ??
PLEASE HELP!! :(

as the question says!! estimate it!!!!!!!!!!!!
u can learn these values + mass of apple , ruler , earth

Reaction score
Exactly! how can a theory paper have the same time as that required for its MCQ counterpart :p