• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics , Practical...

Reaction score
Concerning Physics Summer 2009 Practical Exam ( Paper 6 )

(1) (a) (iii) Drawing a labelled diagram to show how you would use two rectangular blocks of wood and your rule to measure the length x of the test-tube as accurately as possible ?

I do not understand ... how can I use them , and the Mark Scheme isn't useful

also that question (5) (b) , Explain , using a labelled diagram, how the student would ensure that the metre rule reading at the centre of Q is 84.2cm?

I need help with ... diagrams.

Reaction score
first answer
u are going to keep the test tube on the bench and between two wooden blocks which r at righ angle to the testube itself then u keep the metre rule above them and measure the length

second answer
u already found the diameter of the cylinder.so u should ensure tht the diameter is touching the point (84.2-radius) from one side and (84.2+radius) from other side

Reaction score
will my teacher told me that i can place the test tube in a flat surface but 1 wooden box on the upper side of the test tube while the other wooden box at the end of the test tube make sure than there is no gap bettween any of the wooden box and the test tube ( make sure that u draw the flat surface and indicate it by arrows..
then place a ruler ( scale ) AS NEAR AS POSSILBE ( better to avoid any space ) place the ruler vertcally with the wooden box and measure the distance between the boxes ( keep in mind to start the zero mark from the point where the wood box touches the test tube.. and ur final readed mark on the place where the wooden box touches the test tube
ohh one adivce but not neccsary dont draw the ruler exactly to the distance need extend the ruler after the wooden box...
and alwys indicate that u placing the ruler and wooden box and the test tube by making arrows or drwing a bench as showed in the picture.
that about first answeer

Seond answeer do as Our mate ahmed say and u will get it.
Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Thanks Ahmed , Thanks Pierre , I really appreciate your help. :) ( Toshkar Ya Mi3alim )

Allow me to add another question to the list ... since I am REALLY bad at diagrams ... in Electricity stuff it gives me a circuit , like this

l---------l i---------------------l
l l
l l
l l
l____(x)______(METER) ___l

A student set up a circuit in order to measure the current through a lamp when different potential differences were applied , fig xx above shows the diagram that the student drew. The diagram is incomplete ( space instead of Meter ) A voltmeter and an ammeter are required.

(i) Draw the appropriate Symbol in the space labelled 'meter' (I think it is Ammeter but I am not sure )
(ii)Draw the circuit symbol for the other meter and show it connected correctly to the circuit ( I think Voltmeter to measure Potential difference is set in Parallel , as in After the Battery it goes down Perpendicular on the lamp? or it is linked in series? I think that is the only obstacle for me in Physics Practical right now , I completely forgot everything )

Thanks in Advance~!

Reaction score
the ammeter is always connected in series while voltmeter is always connected in parallel

Reaction score
Oh ... so it is Perpendicular on the lamp itself? Thank you very much Larina , that clarified it... that means that the Electro Motive Force is not included in our curriculum?

Reaction score
it is not included but there is 2 points about it in our syllabus given indirectly by other topics realted to it
so u have to study it as it is given to you
about ur last question i can say nothing more than what larina said

Reaction score
Once again , the chronicles of SuperXDE with the ruler and the cylinder .... the same cylindrical stuff .... It says The Cylinder completely covers the marks on the metre rule. Describe, with the aid of a diagram, how you would judge that the centre of the cylinder is drictly above the 10cm mark...?!

I didn't understand anything.

Reaction score
first there is the same question in M/J2009 5(b)
and it has been answered here before so please read the dourms before you ask
any way
will have to measure the diameter os the cylinder finds its half ( middle point )
so u should ensure tht the diameter is touching the point (10-radius) from one side and (10+radius) from other side

hope it helps

Reaction score
yes ur right!! the cylinder is placed like this ___(___(___
so we need to find its radius and then add it to the mark shown on the meter rule which will give us the centre of the cylinder

Reaction score
people exam is easy
if just cambridge didnt prevent any cnadiate from telling the exam after 24 hours i would have helped you
but rules are meant to be respected so please people who are PMing me stop it cuz i wont risk being disqalified

Reaction score
jow
first answer
u are going to keep the test tube on the bench and between two wooden blocks which r at righ angle to the testube itself then u keep the metre rule above them and measure the length

second answer
u already found the diameter of the cylinder.so u should ensure tht the diameter is touching the point (84.2-radius) from one side and (84.2+radius) from other side
how to draw the diagram???