• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Practical/P33 Details and General Practical Tips

Reaction score
The irony is that I am giving P34, I just like to help people out that's why I am giving all of the following info about P33 ;)

The electricity question will be the big question. You will have to setup a circuit with a power supply, ammeter, voltmeter, semi-conductor diode, LED/Resistor and dip the diode in cold water or ice cubes. You will need to measure the temperature with a thermometer before starting to take readings. You will need to vary the voltage and take 5 or 6 readings from the ammeter and voltmeter, draw a table and plot a graph etc.

For the second question, it will be regarding the terminal velocity of two beads when they are dropped in a cylinder filled with oil. You will need to measure the diameters of the beads with a Micrometer Screw Gauge, so do learn how to use it. Next you will need to drop the beads one by one and note the time it took for the beads to travel a certain distance. You will need to measure this distance with a meter rule. Then error and improvements etc.

The schools/centers are not that rich to provide you with a digital one? Why would they teach us how to read off the values from a manual one in O Level and AS Level if they wanted to hand us the digital ones?

Thus, I suggest you learn how to use both vernier calipers and micrometer screw gauge and forget about it being a digital one!

Just stay focused, try to do the first experiment within one hour, take the 6 readings ASAP so that you can even come back to do the first question after finishing the second small/not so lengthy question. Yes you will be able to come back after you are done with the second question and finish the first one. You just won't have the equipment anymore. So you have 2 hours to do 2 questions, use the time wisely!

Update 1

Another thing, you will need to keep the temperature constant, but don't try to take temperature readings more than two times, it's waste of time. Just do it once in the beginning and note it, then in the middle of the experiment read it again. The temperature should remain almost constant, but try to take the readings ASAP and turn off the power supply each time you have taken the reading. That's because at higher voltages, you will start to hear crackling noises from the water, but don't be alarmed and take the reading quickly and turn the power supply off.

Update 2

In the terminal velocity question the smaller bead will take longer to reach the bottom because it is lighter!

Good luck!

P.S

This is a GUESS so don't rely on it 100% as neither I nor anyone else trying to help you should be held responsible!

Reaction score
One thing I missed.

You can say that Terminal Velocity in this experiment is more like Average Speed. How do you find Average Speed? You divide the Total Distance covered by Total Time taken.

Reaction score
And here i'm posting possible errors and method of improvements for the second experiment....

Error

1. small air bubbles are formed on the marble/spheres/(any balls being used) which hindered the motion of the ball
2. two sets of reading not enough to draw a valid conclusion
3. human error in timing
4. marble may have not reached terminal velocity

Method of improvements

1. release the ball/marble just a few mm above the oil surface
2. take more readings and plot a graph
3. use light gate to trigger stopwatch/high speed camera with known time intervals/use video camera with slow motion replay
4. ensure the terminal velocity by increasing the release height/using long tube/measure velocity at two intervals to check terminal velocity reached.

Reaction score
nyc one guys ............ but do we have too keep the temp constant in exp 1 ??
and as for second expriment check june 07 P5 question 1 its almost the same .............

Reaction score
umer khan said:
and as for second expriment check june 07 P5 question 1 its almost the same .............

I've updated my first post with the following info...

Yes you will need to keep the temperature constant, but don't try to take temperature readings more than two times, it's waste of time. Just do it once in the beginning and note it, then in the middle of the experiment read it again. The temperature should remain almost constant, but try to take the readings ASAP and turn off the power supply each time you have taken the reading. That's because at higher voltages, you will start to hear crackling noises from the water, but don't be alarmed and take the reading quickly and turn the power supply off.

Reaction score
MAVtKnmJ said:
umer khan said:

I've updated my first post with the following info...

Yes you will need to keep the temperature constant, but don't try to take temperature readings more than two times, it's waste of time. Just do it once in the beginning and note it, then in the middle of the experiment read it again. The temperature should remain almost constant, but try to take the readings ASAP and turn off the power supply each time you have taken the reading. That's because at higher voltages, you will start to hear crackling noises from the water, but don't be alarmed and take the reading quickly and turn the power supply off.

i dont get the turn off the power supply part...and this one is very similar to a practical in 03, right? oh and do you know the list of apparatus that's given in the IR? can you please post it or pm me?

Reaction score
hi guys,

I am totally new with this CIE and I have a quick question. What is paper 31? is it the same as Advanced Practical Skills 33 & 34?

Also, I have seen alot of details that you guys have about the paper 33...can someone plz provide the details for paper 34 cauz I am extremely nervous about this paper.

Thanks.

Reaction score
People, kindly use the search box at the top to search for your inquiries. Most of what you are asking has already been answered plenty of times!

Reaction score
I have visited lots of threads and for paper 34 it just says oscillation with prism and magnets with thread...and i don't know how to do any of these...please help me if you can. thanks

Reaction score
i mean like with apparatus,procedures, or kind of questions that they might ask and just like you posted the details for paper 33. Also, as you mentioned that you also have paper 34....

Reaction score
@ MAVtKnmJ

Please post details for physics 34 asap. I'll be very gratefull. :)

Reaction score
I'll make a thread once I have confirmed about P34.

I've updated my first post in this thread with "Update 2".

Reaction score
hey MAVtKnmJ plzz explain some detail on q1 didode......

just expalin the basic concept on which that experiment is done...

and list out the appratus...................

n tell me out the link between thermocouple(thermometer) n diode.............???