• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
X shows 240 and Y shows 0. I want to ask that :
1. Why doesnt X show 40V as 240÷6=40
2. What would have been the reading of voltmeter if it was in parallel to the bulb before X
3. If there were two bulbs before X, would the answer had been the same?

Attachments

• 20170917_015413.jpg
    20170917_015413.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
Reaction score
After doing objective research on both sides, I came to conclude that religion is not a scientific matter, there are proofs, but not evidence, if God was evident, what would be the point of testing us at all?, anyhow, I think you are an ex-Muslim , if so, at least keep the testimony of faith with ya, you know, if you have it you are not losing, but if you don't have it , and god did exist, oh uh, so stop being a closet atheist and just be a weak Muslim, at least this keeps your virtue in your country

there are no proofs, just vague verses that describe natural phenomenon and then there are people who loosely interpret those verses to claim the "science" of their particular religious text
proof:
evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement.
evidence
the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

with the imperfect/ever changing condition of nature, there would be enough tests

even if a god was there that entity could still create tests, more importantly when it is asked why would all knowing, self sufficient being create anything in the first place if that being has no need for anything much less test the creations, then the answer becomes we cannot know god's will, that i guess is a religious person's problem

so as for the "testimony" of faith i do not really care much for it, it is only when people started claiming the "science" of the quran that i thought it would be a good idea to show them information that shows why for all practical purposes that cannot be the case what they do after that is their decision

as for me being an agnostic or atheist or anything else, i do not even being it up (only when people confront me on the issue at a personal level do i bring it up) because for me it simply does not matter, for me all that matters is that a person does not harm others intentionally, expressing opinions does not equate to harm which is why i posted a few threads that questioned a few related issues from a social and legislative point of view

as for virtue/morality, religion is not really needed for that to give people the freedom to do whatever they what to do without infringing upon the freedom of others is the basis of morality along with treating others as they would want to be treated, religion specially when applied as a set of laws goes against that, we have our intellect to figure out any legislative, ethical and moral issues without being dogmatic about it which is what religion does, even atheistic dogma leads to problems and ends up being a state religion

Last edited:
Reaction score
and by the way, there is nothing in the whole observable universe that is 100% certain, in other words, there is no clear-cut evidence for anything, what is the evidence that you do exist, all this technologies and techniques are indirect measurements, even eyes, sounds etc are indirect, and can be affected by other factors

read this at least https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haptic_technology, so if itis possible to fool the brain, other factors can be fooled

of course nothing is absolutely certain, that is why science is the best way forward since it deals with uncertainty in an objective manner based upon evidence and it questions everything specially previous findings thus leading to progress, whereas religious or irreligious dogma leads to a close mindedness since they create limits to questioning

as for the axioms of existence you can look into this
http://www.importanceofphilosophy.com/Metaphysics_ExistenceExists.html

Reaction score
HELP!
June 2004 Paper 4 Question 3
I'm stuck in doing 3 (b).9702_s04_qp_4.JPG
The mark scheme says both stars have the same centripetal force, but how do I know that?

Reaction score
HELPPP.
The pressure at sea level is 100000Pa. The density of sea water is 1030kg/m3. What is the approximate pressure 80m below the surface of sea? Answer is 900000Pa. How

Reaction score
HELPPP.
The pressure at sea level is 100000Pa. The density of sea water is 1030kg/m3. What is the approximate pressure 80m below the surface of sea? Answer is 900000Pa. How
first,you might want to separate the data.
density=1030
h=80
g=9.81
P=dgh=1030*9.81*80=808344
we get the answer 900000 by adding 100000Pa to 808344 which is 908344 which is approximately 900000.this is because the pressure applied 80m below the sea level is not just the waters pressure,but also the atmospheric pressure.
i hope this helps,even though my explanation seems all over the place.

Reaction score
I NEED HELP WITH THEORY(P22).:cry::confused:
i always blank out and seem to remember nothing when im attempting the past papers.i just cant solve them.
i need some guidance regarding how i should solve the theory paper and i need it really quick as i will be attempting the october/november retakes :cry::cry:

Reaction score
I NEED HELP WITH THEORY(P22).:cry::confused:
i always blank out and seem to remember nothing when im attempting the past papers.i just cant solve them.
i need some guidance regarding how i should solve the theory paper and i need it really quick as i will be attempting the october/november retakes :cry::cry:
SAME PROBLEM!!

Reaction score
HELP!
June 2004 Paper 4 Question 3
I'm stuck in doing 3 (b).View attachment 62682
The mark scheme says both stars have the same centripetal force, but how do I know that?

The 2 stars have the same centripetal force as the gravitational force provides the centripetal force. This means the gravitational force acting on each object has the same magnitude, using the equation GMm/r^2.

Reaction score
The helium in the cylinder has a volume of 6.0 × 10–3 m3 (0.0060 m3) and is at a pressure of
2.75 × 106 Pa.
(i) The pressure of helium in each balloon is 1.1 × 105 Pa. The volume of helium in an inflated
balloon is 3.0 × 10–3 (0.0030 m3). The temperature of the helium does not change.

Calculate the number of balloons that were inflated.
octnov2014 p31 Q7(b) I knew the pv=p2v2 method bit how could ik that v2 is the cylinder and balloon volume which is 0.15 as pressure p2 was only pressure inside balloon help cuz iam confused

Reaction score
The helium in the cylinder has a volume of 6.0 × 10–3 m3 (0.0060 m3) and is at a pressure of
2.75 × 106 Pa.
(i) The pressure of helium in each balloon is 1.1 × 105 Pa. The volume of helium in an inflated
balloon is 3.0 × 10–3 (0.0030 m3). The temperature of the helium does not change.

Calculate the number of balloons that were inflated.
octnov2014 p31 Q7(b) I knew the pv=p2v2 method bit how could ik that v2 is the cylinder and balloon volume which is 0.15 as pressure p2 was only pressure inside balloon help cuz iam confused

I am fairly certain that the easiest way of calculating this is to find out how many moles of helium gas are in the cylinder and each balloon, then finding how many balloons can be filled. You should use the equation PV=nRT to do this. Use the equation to find out the number of moles of helium in the cylinder and in one balloon, then divide the number of moles of the gas in the cylinder by the number in one balloon to find out how many balloons can be filled. Because the temperature of the gas doesn't change, you can literally use any temperature as a placeholder in the equation. Just make sure you use the same temperature in all calculations you do.

Reaction score
Ans = D
How??
Say that one arrow is equal to 1F (arbitrary value).
A gives no resultant torque, but a resultant force of 1F upwards. B gives both a resultant torque and a resultant force of 1F upwards. C gives no resultant torque or force. D gives zero resultant force but a resultant torque. If you extend the force lines, any line that crosses the centre of the circle will not provide a torque. However any force lines will always exert a force on the circle, even if it provides a torque at the same time.

Reaction score
Say that one arrow is equal to 1F (arbitrary value).
A gives no resultant torque, but a resultant force of 1F upwards. B gives both a resultant torque and a resultant force of 1F upwards. C gives no resultant torque or force. D gives zero resultant force but a resultant torque. If you extend the force lines, any line that crosses the centre of the circle will not provide a torque. However any force lines will always exert a force on the circle, even if it provides a torque at the same time.
Thankyou :)

Reaction score
Guys i did my mock AS practical paper today and it was a simple pendulum with different masses attached. we were to measure the period T. so this question states to make a table with six sets of readings and draw a graph( i think you'll know this process). but anyways i measured T wrong instead of 1 complete swing from point A to Point A i counted period From Point A to Point B. will i lose all my 20 marks or will i get Error carried forward and only lose 2-3 marks.... pls. clarify this. i need to re access my future then.

Reaction score
Guys i did my mock AS practical paper today and it was a simple pendulum with different masses attached. we were to measure the period T. so this question states to make a table with six sets of readings and draw a graph( i think you'll know this process). but anyways i measured T wrong instead of 1 complete swing from point A to Point A i counted period From Point A to Point B. will i lose all my 20 marks or will i get Error carried forward and only lose 2-3 marks.... pls. clarify this. i need to re access my future then.
No, I don't think the examiners would be so harsh as to subtracting all 20 marks in the section, however I don't think you will only lose 2-3 marks either. Sometimes the marking schemes doesn't state what range of values you should get for the answer in one particular question, but sometimes they do. There you would be losing 1 or 2 marks extra. My estimate is that you would lose about 5 marks or so, but definitely not the whole 20 marks just by using the wrong period.

Reaction score
No, I don't think the examiners would be so harsh as to subtracting all 20 marks in the section, however I don't think you will only lose 2-3 marks either. Sometimes the marking schemes doesn't state what range of values you should get for the answer in one particular question, but sometimes they do. There you would be losing 1 or 2 marks extra. My estimate is that you would lose about 5 marks or so, but definitely not the whole 20 marks just by using the wrong period.
Daniel you made my day...
Thank you man. Because i know ill get at least 30+ marks for practicals now, i was worried i would lose all my marks, 5 marks is good either way. Thanks again, for clearing that up.