• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
In q with the options of resistance P and S .... did u choose answer that corresponded to the R across the 8 ohm resistor ?

Reaction score
How it can be alpha particle scattering, the hay was some mm thick however gold foil was much thinner possibly some layers of gold atom

Reaction score
Guys lol is it cool we discussing answers? I'll give my input for the ones you mentioned:

First question B for certian, every 'smart' kid I know chose B lol, I happened to choose that too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q9 table is similar to this from 2015 qp_12:

Newton’s third law of motion is often summarised as ‘Every action (force) has an equal and
opposite reaction.’

A book rests on a table.

If the weight of the book is the ‘action’ force, what is the ‘reaction’ force?

A the pull of the book on the Earth
B the pull of the Earth on the book
C the push of the book on the table
D the push of the table on the book

Answer is A, which makes sense cause action reaction pairs are the SAME TYPE of force, so it HAD to be a gravitational force, and they act on DIFFERENT objects, so weight of book on Earth = weight of Earth on book. Now the question is, I chose D thinking about this but I may have misread the options. The options in our question were stated as 'the force on _______ from _____' so if D was force on Earth from book then it was D but if it was force on book from Earth then I probably messed it up and it was A or B or something, the one which would have force on Earth from book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

38 was alpha scattering for two reasons: 1. Last qs focus on nuclear 2. it was a demonstration and the idea was to show how a bullet would mostly pass through but some would be deflected by a ball i.e. the nucleus, bullets were alpha particles. The dimensions may not be as accurate but still the idea was shown as the total area was in meters while ball were in centimetres. It couldn't be momemtum there was no means of measuring velocity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That q about sqrtmgh was C, the sum of m sqrt 2gh1 and m sqrt 2gh2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one about air resistance was C, the scary looking equations. I got it wrong. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diameter of wire in which we had two different resistivities was 0.57 (nm?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torque one was 9.2

-----------------------------------

Hmm it was between Q and S, the vertial ones, where on left side resistors would add up as 8 + 2 = 10 and right would add up as 4 + 6 = 10, the total came out to be 5, which was highest. Option A gave 1.8 total, this was B, C and D gave 4.2 and 4.8 I think.