• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Paper 4: Doubt on repetitive question.
Milikan's experiment, where they give you around 5 values of charges on oil droplets and you are required to find the elementary charge.

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with oct nov 2014/43 Q.10/b/ii
Just draw half rectangles with their heights at +5v and -5v since it can never exceed the supply. Each time, draw the half rectangle opposite to the vin , if the cycle of vin is +ve, draw vout at -ve and vice versa

Reaction score
The elementary charge (1.6 x 10^-19) is a multiple of the differences of the given charges.

Is there a specific order to subtract from them?
Like: arrange from largest to smallest and subtract in order
Or: subtract in the given form
Or how?

Reaction score
Use speed of approach and seperation concept.
Ok guys I have a question about momentum.
Assume a scenario where two masses of equal masses and acceleration are moving towards each other about to collide.
Can we predict their behavior after collision. Do they bounce back with same velocity or acceleration? Or stick together and stay stationary? Or is it impossible to predict?

Reaction score
I don't know. If it's from the markscheme, it says the lower end should PASS between ...... In my opinion, if this end at that point, the MS should have said 'the lower end should BE at point ....' + we don't know if the line is exactly at a point, there could be an error at that point?

actually, i haven't yet read much about how the practical papers should be tackled, so I can't help here (can't be 100% sure what to do here).
What did your teacher say about these?
he said nthng abt p 5.. (-_-)

Reaction score
I don't know. If it's from the markscheme, it says the lower end should PASS between ...... In my opinion, if this end at that point, the MS should have said 'the lower end should BE at point ....' + we don't know if the line is exactly at a point, there could be an error at that point?

actually, i haven't yet read much about how the practical papers should be tackled, so I can't help here (can't be 100% sure what to do here).
What did your teacher say about these?

http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9702_s13_qp_42.pdf
Q3 (a) (ii) y do we use cos for x?

Reaction score
How do we know if a sphere is a conductor if a graph of electric field strength against distance from the sphere is given?

Reaction score
A cannon fires a cannonball with initial speed v at angle α to the horizontal.

Which equation is correct for the maximum height H reached?
A H = v sinα / 2g
B H = g sinα / 2v
C H = (v sinα)2 / 2g
D H = g2 sinα / 2v

i found the vertical component = Vsina ...hence, options B and D are ruled out.... but why is the answer C?

Reaction score
A cannon fires a cannonball with initial speed v at angle α to the horizontal.

Which equation is correct for the maximum height H reached?
A H = v sinα / 2g
B H = g sinα / 2v
C H = (v sinα)2 / 2g
D H = g2 sinA / 2v

i found the vertical component = Vsina ...hence, options B and D are ruled out.... but why is the answer C?
Apply 2as=v^2-u^2
a is -g, v is 0 and u is vsinα.
Insert these values to get C.

Reaction score
I really need help with this concept:

http://prntscr.com/75vq5i

may june 11 42 q9 b.

how do we identify across which resistor is the input going to be?
for example, in this case. is the 4.5V going to go to the Non-iverting input from across the 1kV resistor or the strain gauge?

A generalised explanation is needed on this thing,not this question specific. since I struggle on every question of this kind.

Thanks a lot and God Bless!

Reaction score
Just draw half rectangles with their heights at +5v and -5v since it can never exceed the supply. Each time, draw the half rectangle opposite to the vin , if the cycle of vin is +ve, draw vout at -ve and vice versa
Thank you very much but what about the width of the rectangle. Im still confused about that.

Reaction score
Thank you very much but what about the width of the rectangle. Im still confused about that.
The width depends on where Vin is 0, so everytime the graph of Vin is 0 you switch the polarity :) try sketching it and upload it here so I check how you sketched it

Reaction score
Could someone just give me a quick explanation with tips on how I should find the area under a graph when I'm asked to do so? Do I count the squares? Then what? Thank you

Last edited: