• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question regarding Paper 5.
So in question 1, where a method of data analysis is required to be mentioned, the most common one is the graph.
Now, I know that it is mandatory to mention the variables plotted in the graph. But are we allowed to use derived variables?

I'll explain with an example...
S14 - Paper 51
The equation provided is T^2 = constant x (C-R)
where C and R are variables. The question asks us to investigate the relationship between T and R, for which I decided to draw a graph with (C-R) in the X axis and T^2 in the Y axis.

However, the marking scheme states that a graph of T^2 against R should be drawn. The analysis provided is also according to this. My analysis is different, for my graph is different.

I was wondering if, since my answer is different, would I gain the same credit as the answer in the marking scheme? Or would I not?

Reaction score
I need very old past papers ( 1990 - 2000 ) . Any idea where to get them.
I hear they are very hard and I would like to try them as I have finished all past papers that came from 2000.
Another problem I face is that I never get above 30 for MCQ's (paper 1). I need at least 35. I have done all the papers and I still am unable to get anything above that. Any help :confused:
I am sitting for this time May/June session.

Reaction score
Hey, I have a question regarding Paper 5.
So in question 1, where a method of data analysis is required to be mentioned, the most common one is the graph.
Now, I know that it is mandatory to mention the variables plotted in the graph. But are we allowed to use derived variables?

I'll explain with an example...
S14 - Paper 51
The equation provided is T^2 = constant x (C-R)
where C and R are variables. The question asks us to investigate the relationship between T and R, for which I decided to draw a graph with (C-R) in the X axis and T^2 in the Y axis.

However, the marking scheme states that a graph of T^2 against R should be drawn. The analysis provided is also according to this. My analysis is different, for my graph is different.

I was wondering if, since my answer is different, would I gain the same credit as the answer in the marking scheme? Or would I not?

You may or may not get marks depending on the examiner. You are specifically asked to test the relationship between T and r. Not T and (c - r). You better get rid of the brackets and plot a graph of T^2 against R.

As y = mx + c, the equation can be rearranged so that you get : y = m * x + c
T^2 = constant * r + constant * C

Now your Y-Intercept = constant * c.
Gradient = constant

Y-Intercept / gradient = C.
So value of C can be determined..

Btw.. How did you manage to find the value of C ?

Hope this helps
(y)(y)

Reaction score
Q.JPG Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Can someone please explain these questions?
The answer is C in the first 2 and D in the last btw

Last edited:
Reaction score
View attachment 51303 View attachment 51304
View attachment 51305

Can someone please explain these questions?
The answer is C in the first 2 and D in the last btw

Young Modulus is same as material is same. Therefore as young's modulus = (f / a) * ( l /e). This can be used in both wires.

(60*l)/((d^2) * 8 ) = (60 * (l /4))/(((d^2)/4) * e)

where d = diameter
l = original length
e = extension to be found.

when you simplify above equation then you get e = 8 mm

Reaction score
Young Modulus is same as material is same. Therefore as young's modulus = (f / a) * ( l /e). This can be used in both wires.

(60*l)/((d^2) * 8 ) = (60 * (l /4))/(((d^2)/4) * e)

where d = diameter
l = original length
e = extension to be found.

when you simplify above equation then you get e = 8 mm
Thanks!

Reaction score
Look in the text book.
When the wire is stretched beyond its elastic limit, it will get permanently detached, that is, it won't return to original mean position.
The shapes of the graph need to be learnt.
stress-strain.png